Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've had various Benchmade folders through the years. They've been good carry knives but I've never had one of their better steels or used their lifesharp service. I think I may try a folder for EDC and hunting use next year. It's an experiment driven by curiosity, not a need... Common sense tells me the pro/con's, but I enjoy hands on to really know.

Anyone have experience with their S90V, especially in comparison to their S30V?

Anyone use their lifesharp service? I've read varying reports on it, from great edge to not so great.

Thanks

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I’ve seen a number of commercial folders with S30V where the heat treat was horrifically botched. A lot of them being big name, well respected firms that you would not expect to see. Many, I suspect, farm out the heat treat to other businesses. S90V has been much better I’ve noticed.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have used a lot of Benchmade blade steels over the years. I have never had a problem with their S30V blades. Benchmade S30V has performed well for me. Some tube video knife guys do those cutting tests and compare the different knife makers and Buck seems to have the best-performing S30V in those tests. I have not had a Benchmade S90V blade so can't comment on that. I sharpen my blades and don't have experience with their factory sharpening service. I prefer fixed blades for hunting but if I were going to use a Benchmade folder I would look closely at the Taggedout series. I looked at a Taggedout folder at a local gunshop and it seemed like a good large EDC/Hunting folder.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m a fan of the Bugout.

Lightweight and IMO perfect size for pocket carry.

I’ve got thr S30v, M4 and 20CV versions.

The price is getting too high for them.

The base model is $180 now i think.

I think the Hogue knives are a better value.

Same AXIs lock ( they call it ABLE )

Check out the Hogue Deka.

And the Knifeworks.com exclusive Doug Ritter rsk.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
The bugout or mini bugout were what I was considering, though I'm not set on anything. 3.25" blade is the largest I would want...3" is what I prefer but use several 2.75" as well.

I appreciate all the feedback from all. My main concern was heat treat. If going with a "better" steel, I'd like a heat treat that allows it to actually be "better".

Thanks again and more feedback is welcome.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am of the mind that 90% of knife users just can't tell the difference in performance between steels. Sure, most can see which are stainless and which are just carbon steel, but all the talk about edge retention, 'carbides' and the such..............well not so much.

Benchmade's fluff and buff is a good deal. I have used it numerous times. They even pay the freight back to you.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Bugout is an awesome knife. I put one together in the Custom Shop...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a bugout in M4 and a mini bugout in s30v. I can't tell much difference in the edge holding abilities. Both are great knives but I prefer the full sized one because it fits my hand better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’d more g10 bugout varieties.

They make special runs for BladeHQ or SMKW ever so often.

The stock grivory does flex.

The Cf-elite model is a little better.

I’ve bought micarta and g10 scales off Etsy and swapped them.

Makes a difference IMO. Added weight is negligible.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I sold knives for a while and got a lot of examples of each brand and style to check out.

After much consideration, I have to admit that even though I wanted to be a huge Benchmade fan, the hogue deka, other hogue models, and zero tolerance would be my choice.

More consistent edges and build quality just as good.

I saw a lot of variation in edges on Benchmades. I think heat treat makes the biggest difference in a knife's edge.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 02/17/24.
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I wanted to like the houge deka but just don't. It's very well made but it just doesn't fit my hand well.

As Dave said. The G10 scales on a bugout are a huge upgrade and worth the money, IMHO

Last edited by Dude270; 02/17/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dude270
I wanted to like the houge deka but just don't. It's very well made but it just doesn't fit my hand well.

As Dave said. The G10 scales on a bugout are a huge upgrade and worth the money, IMHO

The hogue doug ritter rsk fits better.

Much like the bench,ade griptillian.

Dave

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I found the mini-griptilian fit my hand and pocket better than other models, including the mini-freek. I like the skinning belly on the mini-freek but the soft rubber scales dont work in my pocket. I take the clip off and carry deep. I have one in D2 and another in S30V and havent found a significant difference in their performance. Had one in 154CM that I thought was a little soft and the grind was not up to par. Dont carry it anymore.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I have a Bugout with S90V. I feel it’s almost too hard and doesn’t hold an edge any longer than other steels. It’s very difficult to obtain and retain a smooth sharp cutting edge.

The Lifesharp service works as advertised.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Again, I appreciate all the info.

I sharpen my own, but in all honesty, it's something I hate to do. I know some folks enjoy it but I don't. I appreciate steel that holds an edge longer, while at the same time, I dislike sharpening them even more. That was part of my reasoning for asking about the lifesharp service.

I'm fairly careful with my use of hunting knives, minimizing cuts through hair and edge on bone. EDC knives get used for what's needed. They probably get harsher use than my hunting knives.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Can’t speak to those specific steels but love my mini griptilian in 20cv

I used the life sharp service on a different knife. Didn’t feel like they did anything I couldn’t do in 10 minutes with my lansky

I just use my lansky on the 20cv. If it isn’t shaving a few swipes with the fine stone and the strop fix that in just a minute

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Have several BM folders, two in s30V, two in cpm154. They are all great knives. The north fork s30V is my go-to EDC.

I have sent all in to be sharpened at once. Nice service. If I recall, you just pay to get them there and they ship back.

Have never had a s90v of theirs.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,139
Posts18,484,059
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.