-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I used to be a bartender, a horse walked into the bar one day and I said “why the long face”.

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by acy
Originally Posted by rost495
Supposedly Zebra is top of the line meat. I would try horse without any issue.

The issue I see is the theft. Not that they ate horses.

Now if the horse was my pet and I caught them, well it wouldn't be good for them. They would prefer to be in jail instead.

One of the very best steaks I've ever had was zebra backstrap cooked rare over wood coals in Namibia. I, too, would eat horse meat without any qualms.

Edited to add: As long as the horse wasn't stolen from someone!
I had zebra in Namibia, too. Very good!

Prescott, AZ used to have an annual wild burro and mountain lion barbecue until about 1971, the year my family moved there. I never got to partake, but many friends and acquaintances said both meats were good.

Dale

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by RUM7
I've always wanted to try a horse steak.
I hear they're popular in France.

Years ago, I wrote a feature script "on spec," that was about a ring of modern day horse rustlers operating here in the west. Plot centered on an aging range detective who goes after the rustlers. Conflict, resolution, and all that good stuff, etc etc etc. The horse rustlers were set up to butcher and freeze the horse meat and ship it to France where there was a high demand. I called it "French Steak."

My agent liked it, shopped it around at several studios and sent it to several actors who could play the lead role. He told me that although there were positive comments about the script, no one would film a script about "eating horse meat." That's how it is in Hollywood. wink

FWIW.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Futura
I’ve often wondered how much game gets poached by illegals.

I suspect a staggering amount.

When I lived in Eastern Washington they were killing turkeys by the trunk load. F&G seemed to turn a blind eye to it.

Ran into the same in Alaska. A Hmong guy stopped by where we were parked and asked if we’d seen any ptarmigan. We were in prime grouse habitat. Lots of both ruffed and spruce grouse but not much for ptarmigan. He showed us his take of “ptarmigan”. He had 8 ruffs. The limit was two. I told him they were not ptarmigan. Of course he insisted they were in his now broken English. A few minutes earlier it had been good with not much accent.

He left and I reported it to F&G along with his plate number. They seemed less than interested and I saw him a few more times in the area. In a couple years there wasn’t a ruff to be found in that area.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

There's a whole lot of liberal propaganda in that link.

I guess it could be worse, there was no mention of sodomy in the story.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of nationalities about now that are fine with that.

Likely fine, but I've never knowingly consumed any.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/19/24.

1Minute
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I like my wildhorse "filly" mignon garnished with wildflowers!

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
A friend was once married to a gal who came from money. He and his wife traveled extensively with her parents. He tells of eating a "home grown" steak in Mexico somewhere. He said he looked around the area and could find no sign of cattle ranching.

So he asked the waiter from whence the steak originated?

The waiter pointed toward a window from which could be seen a hitching rail behind the cafe, with a burro tied there.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Years ago, I wrote a feature script "on spec," that was about a ring of modern day horse rustlers operating here in the west. Plot centered on an aging range detective who goes after the rustlers. Conflict, resolution, and all that good stuff, etc etc etc. The horse rustlers were set up to butcher and freeze the horse meat and ship it to France where there was a high demand. I called it "French Steak."

My agent liked it, shopped it around at several studios and sent it to several actors who could play the lead role. He told me that although there were positive comments about the script, no one would film a script about "eating horse meat." That's how it is in Hollywood. wink

FWIW.

L.W.
Such under appreciated genius. Damn. frown

Politics is War by Other Means
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by mart
Originally Posted by Futura
I’ve often wondered how much game gets poached by illegals.

I suspect a staggering amount.

When I lived in Eastern Washington they were killing turkeys by the trunk load. F&G seemed to turn a blind eye to it.

Ran into the same in Alaska. A Hmong guy stopped by where we were parked and asked if we’d seen any ptarmigan. We were in prime grouse habitat. Lots of both ruffed and spruce grouse but not much for ptarmigan. He showed us his take of “ptarmigan”. He had 8 ruffs. The limit was two. I told him they were not ptarmigan. Of course he insisted they were in his now broken English. A few minutes earlier it had been good with not much accent.

He left and I reported it to F&G along with his plate number. They seemed less than interested and I saw him a few more times in the area. In a couple years there wasn’t a ruff to be found in that area.

Daughter worked for a geo-engineering company that employed a number of Hmong for labor. On one contract job, the crew got kicked out of the hotel. Turned out they were snaring pigeons in their spare time. Hotel staff did not take kindly to finding a shower full of blood and dead pigeons where the Hmong were hanging the birds to bleed them after wringing the necks.

IC B3

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Wait until it starts being a couple of your yearlings instead of some more or less worthless horses.

This won't stop at equines.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by RUM7
I've always wanted to try a horse steak.
I hear they're popular in France.

Are you thinking of Greece?

Oh, wait, that was a bull!

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
“Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dogfood. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it.“

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MadMooner
“Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dogfood. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it.“

Now I know why tigers eat their young

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Supposedly Zebra is top of the line meat. I would try horse without any issue.

The issue I see is the theft. Not that they ate horses.

Now if the horse was my pet and I caught them, well it wouldn't be good for them. They would prefer to be in jail instead.

I've had zebra. It ain't that great.

Also had donkey in China. It was better than the chestnuts it was cooked with, but not by much.

Carpe' Scrotum
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I can't believe you old women aren't changing the filters on your face spaces to a Florida flag.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hang them just like the old days. It will stop!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Only about a quarter of horses foaled should be allowed to live.

The rest are basically livestock.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
It's Florida, it happens not infrequently.

Horse isn't bad.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
It's Florida, it happens not infrequently.

Horse isn't bad.
Not to many years ago there was a story about a very expensive horse that a lady in Florida owned. It had been imported from Europe for a price of several hundred thousand dollars. It was found butchered out and the meat was missing. It was discussed on this forum. Speculation was that Cubans did it.

As to the Hmong being poachers, they are infamous in the northern mid-west. If it walks crawls or swims it is good to eat.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I thawt they made glue from horses all this time

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

192 members (1_deuce, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 25 invisible), 1,791 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,204
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.