Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Anyone have one in a 300 wsm? Thoughts, Weight, hotdogs it shoot? I'm starting to think the 300 wsm is a good idea in the right rifle, just a matter of finding the right rifle.

HR IC

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Mine is great with ketchup.

300 WSM is about my limit for recoil tolerance in the Montana platform. The ascent is just more of a good thing; although maybe too much of a good thing without the brake. YMMV.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The 300 WSM is very much a great cartridge in the right rifle. I have three rifles in 300 WSM. One is dialed in for 155 Scenar’s @ 3285 fps. It weighs 7.5 lbs. The other is set up for 165 Accubonds @ 3050 fps. It weighs 7 lbs.

I don’t much notice the recoil on either. I can increase recoil, but that’s not the goal. Just saying the cartridge is the perfect choice for my hunting. It’s just a revved up 308. What’s not to like?

Those two rifles carry light & recoil is not an issue. I would not be at all apprehensive with a rifle as light as 6.5 lb. I do not use muzzle brakes.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Would you consider a 30.06? Reasons are, it has the 84l action rather than the 8400, it will be lighter. Also holds 1 more round than the wsm, but most important is feeding. Those short, fats can be a bit tricky, especially in a crf action. It doesnt mean it wont feed, most do, they are just a bit more prone is all. Just something to keep in mind is all.

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
wyo, that is what my issue has been, an sa in a 300 win mag type cartridge would be the ultimate. Seems like they may not make one. I'm not at all afraid of a 300 win mag, and maybe thats what I just need to do. Bso which one is lighter, kimber ascent or weatherby UL. Thanks ak, maybe you should sell me youre montana, but... I might want lighter

IC B2

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Reloder28
The 300 WSM is very much a great cartridge in the right rifle. I have three rifles in 300 WSM. One is dialed in for 155 Scenar’s @ 3285 fps. It weighs 7.5 lbs. The other is set up for 165 Accubonds @ 3050 fps. It weighs 7 lbs.

I don’t much notice the recoil on either. I can increase recoil, but that’s not the goal. Just saying the cartridge is the perfect choice for my hunting. It’s just a revved up 308. What’s not to like?

Those two rifles carry light & recoil is not an issue. I would not be at all apprehensive with a rifle as light as 6.5 lb. I do not use muzzle brakes.

7 lbs or under would it! I don't use muzzle breaks either.

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
actually AK, im almost thinking, you were subtle, but im thinking ascent. Although, ula nula would be ok too.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Are those weights with scope and mounts?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I dont believe mountain ascents come in magnum calibers. Mine was an 06, vxll 3x9 in talleys. 6 1/2 pounds all up. If you want a 300 wsm, it will be a montana, and with 3x9 scope and talleyes, probably 7 3/4 to 8 pounds all up Im guessing. I believe that weight would be close to a wby ulw in a magnum caliber. Wby, like kimber have 2 size actions, 6 lug or 9 lug. Large action adds about a pound to either of them. Was that confusing enough ? Lol. Hope that helps.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Also PSH, Im sure you have looked at Weatherbys website. Since Adam took over, they have brought out many new products geared toward mountain hunting, both in rifles, and calibers. Their will be more options with wby over kimber but some are a bit spendy. I like the story of weatherby, I like the cartridges of wby, and their rifles have always been a quality product. We are spoiled at all of the great rifles available today. Not taking away from pre 64's, early brownings, etc.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Wyo_wby
I dont believe mountain ascents come in magnum calibers.

They did come in magnum calibers - I have a brand new 7mm Rem Mag sitting in my safe.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/kimber-mountain-ascent-rifle-review/387781

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
My mistake, sorry guys. I was going from memmory, probably should have checked before answering. Is your 7 mag scoped? If so, what type scope, mounts, and what does it weigh all up? Just curious

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have owned a couple Kimber Montana's chambered in .300 WSM and one chambered in .300 Win, I liked the shorter action on the WSM's much better and they all feed/extracted/ejected like butter....Recoil? For me was a none-issue with any of them, I mostly sold all my Magnum chambered rifles because I am a reloader and those cartridges are such powder hawgs....Good luck....Hb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll be the first wuss to state the obvious: a 7-7.5 lb Kimber in 300 WSM recoils way more than I'm comfortable with. The load my 7 lb Kimber MT liked was 65 gr H 4350 under a Nos AB for 2950. I guarantee that rifle recoils more than a bit. To me, the 300 WSM in any Kimber Montana is too much cartridge for this wuss. I had 2 others in Win SS m70 and found they were more tolerable but weighed almost 8.5 lbs.

I've also had 2 Kimber 30-06 and found them with too much recoil with a 180 gr going 2800 in a 7 lb rifle. To me, the Montana tops out at the 270 with max 150 gr loads. 130s are very doable at max velocity.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ive wanted one in 708 for so long...never could find one tho frown Doubt I ever will, seems Kimber is hellbent on getting rid of rifle line.

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I'd be curious as well tx ram as to what the 7 mag is all up if you got the chance and had a scale. I appreciate all the thoughts guys. Recoil has never been much of an issue for me with the exception of an old browning bbr in 338 that a buddy had. That rifle did not fit me well and just flat knocked the crap out of me. The 338 variations I have don't do that to me.

Ya wyo, I never should have let my weatherby ul in 280 go. That rifle was just fun to carry. I really don't need another rifle, but I just got into a think session on what would be the ultimate elk rifle. It is tough to justify since I'm elk cartridge heavy, but, others can always go if need be, lol.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don’t have any mounts or a scope on it, but can weigh the bare rifle for you guys. Gimme a couple of days and will post that here.

I bought this one (RMEF banquet rifle, has some engraving stating such) just cause it was a really good deal. I would much prefer a 7wsm version but they were not made that I am aware of. i would also love to have one in 7mm-08, but haven’t seen one for sale in past couple of years. I have Montanas in both of those chamberings, but the Mtn Ascent is a little bit more of a good thing! I did buy a 6.5cm Mtn Ascent off here a couple of years ago and really like it (except not a huge fan of the coated stocks).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just bought a 6.5 CM Kimber Hunter Pro, & by the time I remove the filling from the buttstock, it will be very close the Ascent in weight, & while the stock may not be quite as sophisticated as the Ascent stock, it will do.

And I have an original Rem 700 Ti in 7-08 & actually, the fit of the Rem is a little better for me than the Kimber.

And a 280 that goes 6lb, 15oz, scoped.................so I have light, fairly well covered for most purposes.

I'm done with light weight magnums, & except for 338 or bigger, where they are actually needed, I'm done with magnums altogether & see no reason for a 300 unless you are hunting big bear...................everything else in NA & most African plains game can easily be taken with a standard cartridge.

Ultralight guns & magnum calibers are just a flat NOGO for me, BTDT.

YMMV

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I too have a Mtn Ascent in 7 RM. It weighs 8lbs 2.5 oz with a Burris Veracity 2-10×42 and Talley Lightweights. Bare rifle was 6lbs 9oz if I recall accurately. I have it written down some place.....

As an aside, with the brake it recoils about like a 243. Without the brake is very doable.

I'm 100% on board with MM on flyweight magnum rifles. I don't find an 8lb 7 RM any more recoil than my 7lb 270 with 150s. With the brake it's ridiculously easy on the shoulder. Ears, not so much.

Last edited by bwinters; 02/20/24.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're right, an 8lb, 7 mag is not really objectionable, but it's heavier than I want to lug around the mountains.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep - I've grown accustomed to 7 lb rifles but will at least give an 8lber a try. When I first started Western hunting, I was dragging around a 9lb 338 WM. For some reason.....

If I'm being honest, a 7lb 270 pushing a 150 AB 2950-3000 in a Kimber Montana doesn't leave much room for improvement over the 7RM. My current load pushes the 150 AB at 2900 using 52.0 grains powder. It recoils really soft for such a potent package.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bwinters
Yep - I've grown accustomed to 7 lb rifles but will at least give an 8lber a try. When I first started Western hunting, I was dragging around a 9lb 338 WM. For some reason.....

If I'm being honest, a 7lb 270 pushing a 150 AB 2950-3000 in a Kimber Montana doesn't leave much room for improvement over the 7RM. My current load pushes the 150 AB at 2900 using 52.0 grains powder. It recoils really soft for such a potent package.

HaHa, that's exactly the combination I began with, especially for elk, Sako AIII, 338.

Finally made up a 338 that weighed just over 7 lb, scoped & finally ended up with a 270 (Sako) that still weighed 8 lb.

Finally made the move to lightweight in 7-08 & 280.....................You carry it a LOT more than you shoot it, even or horseback, & today's bullets have just made the smaller cartridges that much more effective.

I've had complete penetration on Shiras moose with 150 gr Partitions from a 270, so I think that's enough.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good deal on the Moose! Any pics?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A 150 and a 270 is a heckuva great combo, especially in a Montana.

Semper Fi
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by beretzs
I agree here, that combo is very hard to beat.....Hb

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
You're right, an 8lb, 7 mag is not really objectionable, but it's heavier than I want to lug around the mountains.

MM

+1. The idea is, you're going to carry it more than shoot it. Dont get me wrong, I have no objections to a standard cartridge, and yes, my weathery ul 280 killed that elk. But, for a cross canyon elk, and no ability to get there in time, im comfortable with the 300 doing the job with less thinking involved. I guess I've been shooting a 300 of some sort for years and if it came down to owning one big game rifle that would be it. I will say the 180 grain partition is a little hard on antelope, but the 180 grain hornady eased up on them, and the browning I had only shot them 1 inch lower than the partition so I got lucky there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yes but as we chatted about, it's those shots over 400 that cause me to pause a bit. That big 7 pushing a slippery 175 is answer. I'm exploring a bit with the Mtn Ascent 7 RM.

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P

Yes but as we chatted about, it's those shots over 400 that cause me to pause a bit. That big 7 pushing a slippery 175 is answer. I'm exploring a bit with the Mtn Ascent 7 RM.

I agree. That is what I'm talking about, 400 plus with a good bullet. I'm not worried about a 1 to 300 yard shot, I can do that with anything. Makes me cringe when I see folks hunting elk with a 243, but I've seen a bunch killed with it. Still makes me nervous, and I'm here to tell you, im backing you up whether you like it or not. My wife's first elk was taken with a 25 06 and a 100 grain partition, it was dead. But, still made me nervous, and I now shoot the 120s. I'd take an elk all day long with that combo at 3 to 4 without thinking too much. That particular bullet hits like a truck. My girls all shoot clrs in 270 and 140 accubonds, and they have killed elk with them, that is knowing your rifle and cartridge. Ill be honest, I've never been a huge 7 rm fan, what it can do, the 300 can do better imo. Not trying to piss folks off, just how I see it. I guess with my 300 bias, and thinking about the wsm, the idea is a good one, if its done right. I just don't know that it is.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

You know my thoughts, I don't think you're crazy at all. While I can shoot light rifles fine, my 8'ish pound Mashburn is/was quite nice over a backpack looking at elk at the 600 yard line. Plus, I knew I had enough oomph to make it happen as well.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by EdM

Yes sir. Only thing left to add is ammo.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PSH

I agree. That is what I'm talking about, 400 plus with a good bullet. I'm not worried about a 1 to 300 yard shot, I can do that with anything. Makes me cringe when I see folks hunting elk with a 243, but I've seen a bunch killed with it. Still makes me nervous, and I'm here to tell you, im backing you up whether you like it or not. My wife's first elk was taken with a 25 06 and a 100 grain partition, it was dead. But, still made me nervous, and I now shoot the 120s. I'd take an elk all day long with that combo at 3 to 4 without thinking too much. That particular bullet hits like a truck. My girls all shoot clrs in 270 and 140 accubonds, and they have killed elk with them, that is knowing your rifle and cartridge. Ill be honest, I've never been a huge 7 rm fan, what it can do, the 300 can do better imo. Not trying to piss folks off, just how I see it. I guess with my 300 bias, and thinking about the wsm, the idea is a good one, if its done right. I just don't know that it is.

Well, since we're all just having fun here & the thread is already sorta highjacked,

If you run the ballistics on:

270, 150gr, LRAB @2950
280, 175gr, LRAB2750
7 Mag, 175gr, LRAB2900 (Yes, I know, but that's real world from a 24" barrel)

And use a really long, but kinda sane range of 700 yards...........

You'll find that the difference are not really enough to make a real difference, especially with wind drift & remaining velocity, which are the factory that matter most.

Yes, there is a slight edge for the 7 Mag, but it's neither a deal maker nor a deal breaker, & I'll take a 22", relatively lightweight 270 or 280 with those ballistics over a heavy, 24" 7 Mag any day of the week, or maybe a 7-08 or maybe a 6.5 CM..............& remember that you will always be shooting that light rifle from a decent rest of some sort at that kind of range.

YMMV, just my view of the world.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Shiras moose, 270 Win, 150 NPT.

MM

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Nice bull MM, what rifle was your 270 in? Range? I have 9 points in Utah, when I'm about a hundred and thirty years old, I will probably draw that tag. So I have that going for me, which is nice. Where I hunt deer up blacksmiths fork, we see good bulls fairly often. Congrats on yours! He"s beautiful!
As to your thinking on ballistics, and data shared, I'm sorta with you on that. And lighter is nice, especially on about day 5. . .

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by EdM

Nice. What optics as I am fiddling with a couple?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’ve had a several Kimber MT’s in 300 WSM. I always used a Leupold 3-9 with dots in Talley Lwts, and a Butler Creek Mountain sling. With three rounds down it came in at 7lbs 4oz’s. I only ever used 180’s in the 300 WSM, and mainly the 180 Partition. I took a number of elk, deer and antelope with it, and it and the 308 Win are the most consistently eager to please rounds I’ve ever worked with. The Kimber 8400 stock is far and away, for me, the best recoil mitigating stock I’ve ever used. All in all, it was a great package.

Were I wanting a lightweight 300 WSM again, I'd do the Kimber 8400 MT, cut the barrel to 18" and put a can on it. Now that Lapua makes brass for it, it's even more attractive.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Shiras moose, 270 Win, 150 NPT.

MM

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nice moose MM!

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow MM that's a dandy Shiras! Some day when I grow up I want a nice moose....... I'm 60 so I better hurry grin

I have also gacked the numbers, almost identical to your choices. I haven't killed anything with an ABLR yet. My only hesitation with the 270 150 LRAB is what it might do at 30 yards. I've watched the penetration videos, gel tests, anecdotal reports from users and remain a bit cautious. I really want to believe in the LRAB and other high BC hunting bullets but I'm leery how they perform at close range and high velocity. I default to the AB in the 270 but am sticking my toes in the water with the 7mm/175 LRAB.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
While it isn't gel, check out what the fellas are doing on Front Line Rejects (You Tube). They water jug test a pile of bullets and just recently did the 165 ABLR from a 270 WSM.

I know water jugs are taboo, but they lay their info out pretty well and its a nice, quick watch.

I was talking with a fellow shooting buddy the other day about the ABLR and the Hammer bullets. They both do about the same thing, the front end comes unglued and a small base is retained to keep going. Granted, the Hammer seems like it typically has more base left after, I think the outcome will be about the same. It is sorta what got me onto trying the Hammer in a few of my rifles this year.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice bull MM, what rifle was your 270 in? Range?

Sako, McM stock. Range on that was only about 70 yards, jumped him with a cow, 150 Partition.

Back side of the Tetons in WY, drew that tag on my 1st try; tried for 20 years to draw a late season deer tag in Idaho's Swan Valley area............still trying, LOL.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow MM that's a dandy Shiras! Some day when I grow up I want a nice moose....... I'm 60 so I better hurry grin

I have also gacked the numbers, almost identical to your choices. I haven't killed anything with an ABLR yet. My only hesitation with the 270 150 LRAB is what it might do at 30 yards. I've watched the penetration videos, gel tests, anecdotal reports from users and remain a bit cautious. I really want to believe in the LRAB and other high BC hunting bullets but I'm leery how they perform at close range and high velocity. I default to the AB in the 270 but am sticking my toes in the water with the 7mm/175 LRAB.

I just used the LRAB for comparison because the bullet is a LR version available for the 3 rifles as a comparison..................I don't really plan to shoot 700+ yards, except maybe in special circumstances & being well prepared, so probably 90% of all the animals I've killed has been with Partitions. They just work. Longest range I've killed an animal was an elk right at 500 yards, & a big mule deer a little under that.

MM

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Thats amazing to draw that tag on year one, congrats. Swan Valley is gorgeous, as is the Tetons. The Victor area is sure growing isn't it. Nice country, hope it doesn't turn in to another Jackson.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You can't go wrong with the 300WSM in any of the Kimber options. That cartridge has notched many elk tags for me over the years. But as a senior hunter, I can no longer take the recoil. Further I had no problem bringing home elk meat with the 30-06, .308 and .270 Win. - all with Kimbers. The Montana 84L is a great package that can remain less than 7#'s - "all up" too. But Kimber has changed their production line and some of these options are no longer being made. Good luck with your decision.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thats amazing to draw that tag on year one, congrats. Swan Valley is gorgeous, as is the Tetons. The Victor area is sure growing isn't it. Nice country, hope it doesn't turn in to another Jackson.

There have been some really big bucks taken in Swan Valley if you can draw a late season tag & if there is snow to start the migration. No snow & it's likely a bust.

MM

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

Swarovski’s on both. 3.5-18x 44 mm & 2-10x 42

Robert E. Lee
P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Well guys, I'm glad I brought this discussion up. Did we get side tracked at times, yup. But as MM said, we're having fun, and it was cool to see the different opinions. With that being said, my sil called today and said he was going to sell me back my weatherby ul 280. He did ask why I wanted it back so bad and I told him, cause its a pleasure to carry, LOL. His dad gave him his browning s stalker 7 mag, and I know those browning shoot and are fairly light, but ill take my new old ul all day long. Doesnt mean I won't search for a true ul in 300 wsm, im sure I will. A 7lbs ish, all up 300 would be the cats meow imo.

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
wyo why, i appreciate your input. I need to look closer. That ul is nice

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
300wsm is my go to.

Did have a mtn ascent in 300wsm. The recoil was manageable, but I had 2 other 300wsm I enjoyed more and the mtn ascent became a safe queen, so sent it down the road a number of years ago.

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Timber, so let me ask, why did you enjoy the others more? I guess based on what I've heard, the ascent is the way to go. Or a ula/nula. Ahat other for a ul?

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Do you recall what the ascent weighed a) up?

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Hey PSH, my pleasure and congrats on getting your rifle back! Perhaps as time goes by, you may consider a kimber classic select in 300wsm. All up around 8 lbs I would guess, but they are beautiful to look at, and nice to shoot with that sharp checkering biting into your buckskin gloved hand. And, if kimber really has stopped making their walnut rifles, it would be a great investment. I know Im looking for them, prices are going up, and they are already getting hard to come by. Not impossible, but getting scarce. Just a thought is all, rifle loonyism is a real thing ya know! 🍻

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

Swarovski’s on both. 3.5-18x 44 mm & 2-10x 42

Thanks.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by PSH
Do you recall what the ascent weighed a) up?

Right at 6# with rings, no scope, no ammo.

I have a custom build that I was hunting with but around 2018 bought a fierce rifle in 300wsm and it's the best rifle I've ever owned from a balance, weight, accuracy, recoil perspective.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (22kHornet, 222Sako, 204guy, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,601
Posts18,492,258
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.