Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have Burris FF3's on my gun and I'm happy enough with them. Although some of the Holosuns and their shake awake technology have me seriously jonesing....

However my franchi's have Sumtoy mounts for burris now...

I started looking at the burris ff4 and there isn't much of a technology leap compared to the holosun at nearly the same price, but the 11 MOA circle reticle got me thinking about something...

Thats about 5.5 inches at 50 yards and thats about the height of a unfeathered turkey neck and head at 50 yards when I measure my patterning splatter targets.

So a person may be able to use the reticle as a range reality check if the turkey neck doesnt exceed the circle when you shoot.

I think thats the idea behind the turkey plex scopes.

So am I on to something guys?

Reason to get a FF4?

Last edited by humdinger; 02/16/24.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think that's reasonable. 11 MOA is 5.5" at 50 yards. It's 4.4" at 40 yards. 3.3" at 30 yards. You could do some rough estimating with that, knowing about how big a turkey is already.

Yoder mentioned it in another thread. I've done the same. I tend to carry a laser range finder with me when I hunt. If Im hunting someplace new, I'll range some trees, stumps, things like that when I take my seat or stand so I know the distances if a critter comes in past it. Sort of like back in the day when the British fought the Zulus - they put out range marking sticks so if the adversary came in, the soldiers knew the ranges.

Or you could just wing it.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I think that's reasonable. 11 MOA is 5.5" at 50 yards. It's 4.4" at 40 yards. 3.3" at 30 yards. You could do some rough estimating with that, knowing about how big a turkey is already.

Yoder mentioned it in another thread. I've done the same. I tend to carry a laser range finder with me when I hunt. If Im hunting someplace new, I'll range some trees, stumps, things like that when I take my seat or stand so I know the distances if a critter comes in past it. Sort of like back in the day when the British fought the Zulus - they put out range marking sticks so if the adversary came in, the soldiers knew the ranges.

Or you could just wing it.

Ive heard of the ranging thing, but I don'thave one.

I've held off on longer shots realizing they may have been in range... especially if I upgrade to TSS.

My only question will be is 50 yards and a turkey neck pretty hard to even see at that point.

Hmm... I think I may need to buy one. Move the BFF3 over to the backup to the back up to the backup gun

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have killed two truckloads of gobbler in 7-8 states. I have never thought once I need to check the range to see how far he is. There is a point when you can tell he is in range and killable, most times it is under 35 yds.

Don't gobble at me
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fullfan
I have killed two truckloads of gobbler in 7-8 states. I have never thought once I need to check the range to see how far he is. There is a point when you can tell he is in range and killable, most times it is under 35 yds.

Yes, boys.............he has. At LEAST 2 truckloads. And, there IS a point. And it IS around 35 yards.

I've killed maybe a half a truckload less. I agree wholeheartedly. But, I can STILL occasionally get fooled on a field bird. MOST times he's actually CLOSER than I think. The rangefinder takes up, basically, zero space. And it can be entertaining when times get boring...........

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by Fullfan

Yes, boys.............he has. At LEAST 2 truckloads. And, there IS a point. And it IS around 35 yards.

I've killed maybe a half a truckload less. I agree wholeheartedly. But, I can STILL occasionally get fooled on a field bird. MOST times he's actually CLOSER than I think. The rangefinder takes up, basically, zero space. And it can be entertaining when times get boring...........

LOL.

Field birds and more open woods birds have presented ranging troubles for me. Not everyone hunts the same situation so you have to accept that some opinions are overstated over others and they are just opinions.

Im going to consider a range finder sometime.

I also contacted Burris to see if they will give me a firearms safety instructor discount to ease the cost. maybe they have rangefinders too.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Knowing range is important. So if you need to use a rangefinder, use it. But more importantly, if you want to use a range finder, use it. Burris used to give a nice discount to Hunter Safety Instructors, used that discount many times.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve used that discount numerous times my self Dean.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can scoop a Bushnell bowhunter's rangefinder for not much more than a box of 12 gauge TSS shells.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
have struggled judging range in the fog, twice I remember thinking it 45 yards, and it ended up being over 70 steps

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like the 3 MOA dot myself on my red dots and I do carry a range finder as I have misjudged a few field birds.
The woods where I hunt are usually thick enough that the bird has to be in range to get a clear shot

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

139 members (338reddog, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 308xray, 25 invisible), 1,670 guests, and 955 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,280
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.