Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I am new to revolvers. When looking at .45 revolvers I see that the Vaquero is more expensive than the Blackhawk. Can someone tell me why. Which would be more desirable for deer hunting. Thanks in advance.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You want a BlackHawk for hunting because they have adjustable sights.

I own both. Vaquero’s are more “traditional” because they have fixed sights, like the original Colt Single Action Army models.

But when trying out various loads to find the “right” one to suit your type of hunting, you’ll find that different loads and different bullet types and weights often shoot to different point of aim.
With the BlackHawk model’s adjustable sights, you can adjust the sights and load to the correct POA.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 02/10/24.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Vaqueros have fixed sights and the Blackhawks have adjustable sights, so it was easier to get center hits with the Blackhawks . . just adjust the sights to match the center of a good-grouping load and you are set.

Cowboy Action shoots generally classify the Vaquero as a "traditional" model and the BH as "modern", but for deer hunting, a .45 Colt in a Blackhawk would be my choice. That and plenty of practice. I have no insight into the cost differential of the two models, and I like both for different reasons. A shooting range nearby may have rental guns for you to try before you buy.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What they said.

I’d look for a Blackhawk with the Bisley grip frame. Basically the same gun with a more vertical target style grip frame that you can choke up on a little bit higher and better mitigate recoil. Ruger manufacturers them in runs every so often IDK if they’re offering that model right now or not.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They make fewer, thus they sell for more. That, and the New Vaquero is made on the smaller Flat Top sized frame (mid-frame). They are also all steel, vs the Alloy grip frame on the Blackhawk.

For Hunting I tend to say that the adjustable sights on the Blackhawk are more desirable, they also lend themselves to scope mounting. Lastly, the Blackhawk 45 is made on the large SBH sized frame and can be loaded to "Ruger Only" loads.

My "Hunting Rig" a .41 Magnum Bisley.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My packing & plinking .41

And, for easy packing, durability, and a big punch, a .45 Colt Vaquero.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The vaquero also has (or used to have) a steel grip frame while the Blackhawk blued had an aluminum anodized grip frame. Also, the vaquero is higher polished. The Blackhawk is more versatile for everything except shooting CAS.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Some gunsmiths are out there who will mount adjustable sights on your Vaquero for you. One of our members here has one like that. Beautiful gun. Forget who. Gunsmith may have been Hamilton Bowen. ??

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you intend to shoot cast bullets, check your cylinder throats.
I doubt Ruger has changed 50 years of screwing them up.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Can fix it for reasonable money.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
If you want a Ruger in 45 LC for deer hunting, get a stainless Flattop. They still make them and they are excellent.
S.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
WPAHUNTER, I sent a PM to you.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smallfry
If you want a Ruger in 45 LC for deer hunting, get a stainless Flattop. They still make them and they are excellent.
S.

I haven’t hunted with mine, I’d like to at some point. It’s one of my favorite handguns for range use and knocking down steel plates. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
S.

I haven’t hunted with mine, I’d like to at some point. It’s one of my favorite handguns for range use and knocking down steel plates. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
That looks like a Bisley Blackhawk

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
S.

That looks like a Bisley Blackhawk

It is. I thought that was what you referring to.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Vaqueros are for playing Cowboy.
Blackhawks are for serious work.

Both are fine revolvers.

Last edited by gregintenn; 02/13/24.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Blackhawk for hinting or heavy loads. Vaquero for authentic SA feel and look or cowboy action shooting. Vaqueros are still pretty beefy but the Blackhawk is a tank, designed for hot loads.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I’d stay away from the new vaquero for hunting. They made the frame smaller so the new vaqueros can’t take the higher pressure 45 loads.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Vaqueros are for playing Cowboy.
Blackhawks are for serious work.

Both are fine revolvers.
This. As was said up above, new vaqueros are NOT built for heavy loads. Keep that in mind when making your purchase op

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1minute, 260madman, 1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 264magnum, 270cowboy, 58 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,428
Posts18,489,229
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.