Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Crash_Pad
Nice weapon. If the 40 operates at the same pressure as 9mm, where did the reports come from that it was so hard on the Glocks? Must have been true somehow if they felt the need to beef up the slide, or was the beefing up defensive marketing? I got the M&P when they were giving them away. It was purported to have been engineered for the 40, not modified from a 9, inferring superiority over the Glock. Maybe heavier bullets at same pressure equals more force because there is more energy? Doesn't make sense but math is my second language....
Heavier bullet at about the same velocity as 9mm (124 grain 9mm vs 165 grain .40, and 147 grain 9mm vs 180 grain 40), given the same barrel lengths, so there has to be higher pressures involved with the .40.

They operate at the same pressure in Standard loads which is 35k PSI. Plus P 9mm is at even higher pressure and there is no standard for +P in 40 S&W. Since the case head is a larger diameter in 40 cal, there IS more case head thrust. The main reason 40 has been hard on Glocks is they retrofit it into their existing platform that was only designed for 9mm originally. To make matters worse, the 40 slide is actually a bit lighter since the larger diameter barrel had to fit in the same slide, metal as removed. The lighter slide and the thinner 40 cal barrel chamber were not such a good idea for longevity.

Later designed pistols like the M&P were designed as 40’s to start with then downgraded/modified to run 9mm. Going down works well, going up not so much. Glock attempted to modify their 40’s over time adding the 2nd frame pin etc to try and address the fact that 40 was wearing down their pistols a bit faster than 9mm. And we have now arrived at the Gen 5 which adds slide weight and also a thicker barrel and chamber walls. The Gen 5 40’s run much smoother than anything Glock has previously offered in 40 and make them more durable to boot. Had Glock done this design change early on, you could argue that 40 cal Glocks riding in duty holsters would have held up better and we might not have seen such a resurgence of folks going back to 9mm. After all, no one ever complained about the performance of 40 on bad guys! Only the guns being snappy which was a factor of them being too light and lightly built.

Mark in GA

Last edited by MarkinGA; 02/21/24.
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MarkinGA
They operate at the same pressure in Standard loads which is 35k PSI. Plus P 9mm is at even higher pressure and there is no standard for +P in 40 S&W. Since the case head is a larger diameter in 40 cal, there IS more case head thrust.
This makes perfect sense. Same pressure on a larger caliber bullet will drive the bullet faster given the same weight bullet, and given heavier bullets, it will drive the larger caliber bullet just as fast, due to the same energy being applied to a larger surface.
The main reason 40 has been hard on Glocks is they retrofit it into their existing platform that was only designed for 9mm originally. To make matters worse, the 40 slide is actually a bit lighter since the larger diameter barrel had to fit in the same slide, metal as removed. The lighter slide and the thinner 40 cal barrel chamber were not such a good idea for longevity.

Later designed pistols like the M&P were designed as 40’s to start with then downgraded/modified to run 9mm. Going down works well, going up not so much. Glock attempted to modify their 40’s over time adding the 2nd frame pin etc to try and address the fact that 40 was wearing down their pistols a bit faster than 9mm. And we have now arrived at the Gen 5 which adds slide weight and also a thicker barrel and chamber walls. The Gen 5 40’s run much smoother than anything Glock has previously offered in 40 and make them more durable to boot. Had Glock done this design change early on, you could argue that 40 cal Glocks riding in duty holsters would have held up better and we might not have seen such a resurgence of folks going back to 9mm. After all, no one ever complained about the performance of 40 on bad guys! Only the guns being snappy which was a factor of them being too light and lightly built.

Mark in GA
Agreed.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bobcat85
I received my Glock 21 gen 5 2 wks ago and have been impressed with it as well. These are nice shooting guns!! It is not a CC firearm, but very comforting having it on my side! That 13th round is a bitch to get in. I've decided I can live with 3 12 rd for a 36 total of 45 ACP.
Mickey
I carried one in an ankle holster for 3 years when I was an SRO. They are a bit heavy but it's doable.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by Bobcat85
I received my Glock 21 gen 5 2 wks ago and have been impressed with it as well. These are nice shooting guns!! It is not a CC firearm, but very comforting having it on my side! That 13th round is a bitch to get in. I've decided I can live with 3 12 rd for a 36 total of 45 ACP.
Mickey
I carried one in an ankle holster for 3 years when I was an SRO. They are a bit heavy but it's doable.

kwg

WOW. I don’t know what else to say. 😄

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Seriously? A Glock 21 on the ankle?

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I actually owned a Gen 2 Glock 23 back in the early 90s, but sold it in the late 90s. The Gen 5 23 is a bit more robust, due to a more substantial (and thicker) slide (intended to make it better suited for the .40 S&W). I generally like the Gen 5 Glocks, and have one in the Model 26 and the Model 19, but thought I'd give the new, more robust, Gen 5 Model 23 a try, and see how I like it.

I took delivery of it today, and brought it right to the range. I fired 150 rounds of PMC Bronze 165 grain FMJ through it without a hiccup of any kind. No brass in the face, or on top of the head, or any sort of problem whatsoever.

[Linked Image]

I had the medium sized backstrap insert installed, which helped me to keep it from slipping out of position in my grip under recoil, and it did the job. I found the recoil quite manageable.

It came with three 13 round mags, but I put in an order for three more today with Midway.

The factory sights seem to be right on. Here's a 15 yard, off hand, group of 13 rounds:

[Linked Image]

One observation that I have is that you practically have to sit on the magazine to get that 13th round in, and forget about carrying one in the chamber besides (making for 14 rounds onboard), because pushing a fully loaded mag up in there with the action closed was difficult enough that I didn't put a whole lot of effort into trying. I guess it's a true 13 round gun.

Overall, I'm impressed with its handling. And, although the slide is thicker, it fits perfectly in my well worn El Paso Saddlery C-Force IWB holster, which was made for the Glock 17. I hear that it won't fit in the fitted Kydex or plastic holsters designed for earlier Gens, though. That's an advantage to a leather holster, I guess.

I might end up carrying this gun.

you going to put a red dot on that new Gen 5? Probably let you shoot it more accurately.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jimmyp
you going to put a red dot on that new Gen 5? Probably let you shoot it more accurately.
Not a fan of electronics on concealed carry pieces. KISS, Keep It Simple, Stupid. With emergency equipment, you want to minimize the number of things that can possibly go wrong. Nothing wrong with them on sports equipment, though.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Excellent explanation. The lightening effects related to larger bore would increase slide velocity and of course weaken critical parts. Kind of an inverse explanation of the 40 being "more powerful" than the 9.The forces are not greater per se. But because the critical parts are now weaker than the same pressure requires. I don't get how a larger diameter case head would create higher thrust, although it sounded convincing at first. Seems like greater surface area would dissipate forces better, not increase them. The ladies high heel principle, stilettos, etc.? Anyway it's a cool improvement all around. Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crash_Pad
Excellent explanation. The lightening effects related to larger bore would increase slide velocity and of course weaken critical parts. Kind of an inverse explanation of the 40 being "more powerful" than the 9.The forces are not greater per se. But because the critical parts are now weaker than the same pressure requires. I don't get how a larger diameter case head would create higher thrust, although it sounded convincing at first. Seems like greater surface area would dissipate forces better, not increase them. The ladies high heel principle, stilettos, etc.? Anyway it's a cool improvement all around. Thanks.

The larger surface area does dissipate force. That’s the reason for the larger powder charge for the 40. The end result is equal pressure for both but with a greater surface area and greater thrust for the 40.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Glocks are BADASS!

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
My brain finally let go! I get it. But then I dummy it down to my level. 35/9=3.88 35/10=3.5. Numbers are painful

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Great looking pistol! These posts are making me really want a Gen 5. I'm a huge fan of 40S&W in general. It's a great caliber and far superior to 9mm imo. I don't understand all of the hate for it these days.

Do you all think the Gen 5 is worth the upgrade over a Gen 4?

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by slowr1der
Great looking pistol! These posts are making me really want a Gen 5. I'm a huge fan of 40S&W in general. It's a great caliber and far superior to 9mm imo. I don't understand all of the hate for it these days.

Yes. Definitely. For one, I hated the finger grooves. There are other improvements, too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No.

The praise that a poster in a previous thread heaped on the G5 based on an example of one is way out of hand. G1-G5 are a lot more similar than they are different. The fives are the most refined overall but some of it is individual preference. Glock changes at a glacier pace there’s no radical changes from one gen to the next IMO. G3, and G5 are my favorites along with the mostly G5 19X. I wouldn’t sell a G4 to buy a G5 though.

The MOS cut is nice but if Glock had really got it right it should be standard and milled for a Trijicon/Holosun footprint without the need for an adapter plate.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The trigger guard seems a little small on my one and only Glock(19x).

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Not a fan of electronics on concealed carry pieces. KISS, Keep It Simple, Stupid. With emergency equipment, you want to minimize the number of things that can possibly go wrong. Nothing wrong with them on sports equipment, though.

My PSA Dagger wears a Holosun with elevated open sights in case the former goes out.

The Holosun is pretty robust but I’ve shared your suspicion. I like this “belt & suspenders” approach.

Great pistol BTW; 40 is solid fo sho and I too LOVE the Gen 5 Glocks!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Yes. Definitely. For one, I hated the finger grooves. There are other improvements, too.
That's the thing for me. The finger grooves fit me perfectly and I really like them. I can see how it would be a big upgrade if they don't feel comfortable to someone, but that's not the case for me. The other main upgrade seems to be the barrel, but I just haven't been able to convince myself that I need to upgrade. All of these recent posts are making me wonder if maybe I do need to.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
The trigger is improved, too. Also, there's the beveled forward part of the slide, which looks much better, and makes reholstering a bit easier.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
It’s ironic. I’ve got or had all the Gens except Gen 5. Back in the day the finger grooves were the rave everyone wanted them, even me.

The grooves cause my middle finger to rub on the trigger guard on some models more than others.

If the Gen 5 is closer to the Gen 1-2 then I’m all in. My Gen 2 21 is probably my favorite. It has the best trigger by far of all that I own. 4.5 pounds red label.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by viking
It’s ironic. I’ve got or had all the Gens except Gen 5. Back in the day the finger grooves were the rave everyone wanted them, even me.

The grooves cause my middle finger to rub on the trigger guard on some models more than others.

If the Gen 5 is closer to the Gen 1-2 then I’m all in. My Gen 2 21 is probably my favorite. It has the best trigger by far of all that I own. 4.5 pounds red label.
For me, the finger grooves fit my hand perfectly on the Model 17/22, but on the Model 19/23 they did not. My pinky would always rest on the point of the bottom finger groove rise. Of course, I could have simply filed that off, then smoothed it out with some Emery Cloth, but that would have really damaged resalability.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 14,329 guests, and 1,061 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,163
Posts18,542,924
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.