Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I've searched until my eyes blurred out with very limited results, maybe someone here can help me. For my 60th birthday and our 39th anniversary my wonderful wife bought me a rifle that I did not know even existed. An unfired (other than factory testing) M1 Garand, it was built by Springfield on a Breda receiver. She bought it from a good friend of mine who's had it in his safe for 20 plus years and has never fired it. I called him to thank him and pick his brain a bit. He said it was built in '93 or '94, there were only 400 of them built by Springfield on virgin Breda forged receivers. I'm not a Garand expert but it seems to be very well put together, the barrel, bolt and rear sight all have SA stamps and the barrel/bore and bolt face is literally brand new condition. Anyone have a source of information on these rifles and roughly what it's worth ? I won't say right now what she paid for it but he sent it to me with a bayonet and 500rds of Greek 30-06 ammo. Also said he'd kick my @$$ everyday if I ever sold it without offering it back to him first. Any information or advice appreciated.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Brokenarrow; 02/20/24.

Your life is made up of two dates and a dash, Make the most of the dash.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Probably at least $2000.The better CMP Garands go for $1350+

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I would contact the CMP, ( Civilian Marksmanship Program) and/or the GCA, ( Garand Collectors Association). They have lots of good information. Should be able to help or point you in the right direction. You have a real treasure there.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Built in 93-94 by Springfield who?

The US Springfield Armory closed in 1968.

Current Springfield https://www.springfield-armory.com/

Call them and ask.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Craigster
Built in 93-94 by Springfield who?

The US Springfield Armory closed in 1968.

Current Springfield https://www.springfield-armory.com/

Call them and ask.

Pretty much every part on it except the receiver is marked "SA" , you tell me. I sent an Email to them yesterday but haven't received a reply yet.
If I don't get a reply by this afternoon, Yes I will try to call them again, I hate being put on hold.

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Just found two of these on Gunbroker, seems they're at least somewhat collectible. Now trying to decide whether to shoot it or not. frown

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sounds like a commercial made or assembled gun. Can you show pics of the SA marked parts? Could be the government arsenal made surplus parts or commercial parts made by what's now called Springfield Armory (2 completely different things). If I remember right Breda ended up with the Winchester machinery after WW II and made rifles for Italy and export. Considered NATO standard and just as good as US made parts. Definitely looks like a commercial made stock.
CMP isn't going to know anything about this gun. Wouldn't have passed through them.

Last edited by blairvt; 02/20/24.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Exactly like that one, she paid $2,500 for mine with 500rds of ammunition. There is another one just like it, asking price is $4,500. I know asking price means nothing but I'm thinking $2,500 with $500 worth of ammunition is a fair price.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It appears you've got it figured out.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Shoot it!

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
It appears you've got it figured out.

Not really, no. It seems these were all made in 2000-2001 so that '93-'94 date is probably wrong. It seems really funny to me that there is so little information about them.

Originally Posted by gregintenn
Shoot it!

Oh I will, for sure I'll let my son shoot it. One of the reasons I've always wanted one is because my Dad trained with a Garand in 1957 at Ft. Chaffee, and he always spoke highly of the weapon. Guess my wife finally got tired of my tight wad @$$ talking about it and got one for me.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
As I suggested, call Springfield.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Brokenarrow,

I had one of these rifles until I recently sold it to my gunsmith.

Mine was purchased in December 2001 for $995.00 with some of my Christmas bonus.

It was built and sold by Springfield Armory (Geneseo, Ill.), on the heel of the receiver it's marked with a Danish Crown, below that is FKF and Serial number BMR 2720. The receiver is marked BREDA. It had a new Springfield Armory barrel (not GI), new slightly oversized wood, the bolt was a SA (GI) and the trigger group contained GI parts marked SA, IHC and PB (Beretta). The rifle came with a web sling and 3 en-block clips in a bag.
The fit and finish was excellent, and it shot quite well with Danish, Greek and LC ball ammunition.

This rifle was not eligible for John C. Garand Matches per the CMP.

You have a nice rifle, and it will bring you a lifetime of fun. It needs to be shot and enjoyed.

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by StarchedCover
Brokenarrow,

I had one of these rifles until I recently sold it to my gunsmith.

Mine was purchased in December 2001 for $995.00 with some of my Christmas bonus.

It was built and sold by Springfield Armory (Geneseo, Ill.), on the heel of the receiver it's marked with a Danish Crown, below that is FKF and Serial number BMR 2720. The receiver is marked BREDA. It had a new Springfield Armory barrel (not GI), new slightly oversized wood, the bolt was a SA (GI) and the trigger group contained GI parts marked SA, IHC and PB (Beretta). The rifle came with a web sling and 3 en-block clips in a bag.
The fit and finish was excellent, and it shot quite well with Danish, Greek and LC ball ammunition.

This rifle was not eligible for John C. Garand Matches per the CMP.

You have a nice rifle, and it will bring you a lifetime of fun. It needs to be shot and enjoyed.

StarchedCover

Thanks for the information, SC. Mine is as you described with sn BMR 679. It will be shot and enjoyed, safe queens just take up space and eventually get traded off or sold at my place. As far as monetary value, that doesn't matter, this one won't be sold in my lifetime.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I do not know if this is relevant to the rifle in question.

A few years ago, Springfield Armory, as in Springfield M1A bought a warehouse full of spare Garand parts in an Italian basement. They assembled many new Garands, with all new parts and sold them in USA. Some were in '06 and some in 308. This must have been in the early to mid '90s.

I spotted one in Sportsman's Warehouse at that time for about $800, IIRC. But it was 308, so I passed on it.

One might guess the BM in the serial number would be for Baretta Machine in Italy.

Last edited by Idaho_Shooter; 02/20/24.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AJ59
I would contact the CMP, ( Civilian Marksmanship Program) and/or the GCA, ( Garand Collectors Association). They have lots of good information. Should be able to help or point you in the right direction. You have a real treasure there.
Just log on to the CMP forums and you can ask all of the questions you would like. I wondered where Springfield got their receivers to build the M1's. I know it's been 20 some years ago they were selling them. The Breda receivers are highly regarded. It looks like the rest are GI new old stock parts. The thing about Garands is they multiply. I had 6 at one time and traded them for AR's. Now the AR's aren't worth much and the Garands are going up in price.

I should kick myself.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What you have appears to be a parts gun assembled by Springfield Armory Inc. (not the government Springfield Armory) built on a Breda receiver. Italian built Breda imports will come in with Italian and Danish parts and are the sequel to the story when garands were sent overseas (when the Italians built their own rifles and even redesigned the Garand into the BM59). The Italian and Danish rifles carry that historical cachet. The Breda's you're seeing on Auction sites reflect that.

You have a shooter. I'm not sure how to value it, but I'm inclined to say it's a "sum of the parts" rifle. Enjoy it as you already appear to be! 500 rounds of ammo is not insignificant! Nothing like the "ping!" of a empty clip being ejected.

Last edited by ChrisF; 02/20/24.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ChrisF
What you have appears to be a parts gun assembled by Springfield Armory Inc. (not the government Springfield Armory) built on a Breda receiver. Breda reimports will come in with Italian and Danish parts and the story of a point in time when garands were sent overseas and carry that historical cachet. The Auction Breda's reflect that.

You have a shooter. I'm not sure how to value it, but I'm inclined to say it's a "sum of the parts" rifle. Enjoy it as you already appear to be! Nothing like the "ping!" of a empty clip being ejected.

Would you say the same about this one ?

[img]https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1035986891[/img]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That auction rifle is similar to yours. Assembled by SA Inc. But with Italian parts instead of SA parts. Not sure what you're angling toward...a value? The Italians are outside of my wheelhouse and I shared the little I know. You might tap Scott Duff for a better assessment.

The main thing in my book is that you're going to enjoy it for years to come.

Last edited by ChrisF; 02/20/24.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugeman, 222Sako, 224th, 257man, 219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 61 invisible), 2,602 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,397
Posts18,527,885
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.