-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Weekend jet stream winds in the eastern US and Atlantic topped 265 mph. As a result, eastbound passenger flights have been riding them and topping 800 mph. Flights from Dulles to London were arriving 45 min early.
Technically, though, they didn't break the sound barrier which is usually around 770 mph. That requires a faster air speed, not ground speed. The 800 mph is ground speed. Their air speed is 500 to 600. No sonic boom for these guys.

SOUND BARRIER

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This proves that media reporters know as much about aviation as they do about firearms.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At that altitude there is very little air (as it is on the surface) to travel through.
Wind resistance at 50,000 feet is nothing like what your car pushes against on a highway.
With the jetstream flowing as it does, you’re always gonna make better time headed east, and since you’re going against it, it’s gonna take longer to go west.
Don’t they teach this in high school sience anymore? 😳
Serious question. I know we learned about this, I think in 10th grade!
I’m no Guinness, and this is pretty basic stuff.
Reon

Last edited by 7mmbuster; 02/20/24.

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
What happened to that variable nose supersonic jet... I can't recall the name... took em out of service years ago.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
P
Concord

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
What happened to that variable nose supersonic jet... I can't recall the name... took em out of service years ago.

The Concorde was retired.

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concorde

There are some folks working on some new ideas.

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
'
Before the supersonic Concorde, there was this:

The World’s Fastest Subsonic Airliner: The Convair 990A Coronado
'

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The Concorde was too expensive to operate and they were running out of spare parts. After 30 years, nobody was making the needed parts any more. Because of the high cost of operation, their ticket prices were extortionately high. It was also very noisy and cramped. It's only virtue was speed. After the crash, they decided to just eat their loses and shut it down. It did have an excellent safety record - 1 fatal crash in 30 years, but that wasn't the reason for ending it.
That was an entirely different plane. It flew at more than double the speed of subsonic passenger planes.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
'

I don't know if these guys are going to be successful, but at least they're trying.

video posted to YouTube on Sep 15, 2023
YouTube channel: Boom Supersonic

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wind and airplanes are a fun combo. Back when I was in the ATC business it wasn’t difficult to put slow planes in front of the fast ones if the jet stream was utilized. When I was flying for a living there was one evening when my little piston powered craft was making over 350 mph ground speed whilst indicating about 200 mph. Heck, one day in a single engine Cessna I was making about 250 mph ground speed. 🤣

In the ATC business I was working a Concorde that descended too quickly and overtemped the airframe. Emergency landing at Orlando International Airport followed.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

448 members (10Glocks, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 40 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,418
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.