Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
NYT Personal finance Columnist puts $50K in a shoebox and gives it to an "Undercover CIA Agent"...

Just a Guess
Diversity hire?
One who shares every detail of her life on social media?

https://www.thecut.com/article/amazon-scam-call-ftc-arrest-warrants.html

On a a Tuesday evening this past October, I put $50,000 in cash in a shoe box, taped it shut as instructed, and carried it to the sidewalk in front of my apartment, my phone clasped to my ear. “Don’t let anyone hurt me,” I told the man on the line, feeling pathetic.

“You won’t be hurt,” he answered. “Just keep doing exactly as I say.”

Three minutes later, a white Mercedes SUV pulled up to the curb. “The back window will open,” said the man on the phone. “Do not look at the driver or talk to him. Put the box through the window, say ‘thank you,’ and go back inside.”

The man on the phone knew my home address, my Social Security number, the names of my family members, and that my 2-year-old son was playing in our living room. He told me my home was being watched, my laptop had been hacked, and we were in imminent danger. “I can help you, but only if you cooperate,” he said. His first orders: I could not tell anyone about our conversation, not even my spouse, or talk to the police or a lawyer.

Now I know this was all a scam — a cruel and violating one but painfully obvious in retrospect. Here’s what I can’t figure out: Why didn’t I just hang up and call 911? Why didn’t I text my husband, or my brother (a lawyer), or my best friend (also a lawyer), or my parents, or one of the many other people who would have helped me? Why did I hand over all that money — the contents of my savings account, strictly for emergencies — without a bigger fight?

When I’ve told people this story, most of them say the same thing: You don’t seem like the type of person this would happen to. What they mean is that I’m not senile, or hysterical, or a rube. But these stereotypes are actually false. Younger adults — Gen Z, millennials, and Gen X — are 34 percent more likely to report losing money to fraud compared with those over 60, according to a recent report from the Federal Trade Commission. Another study found that well-educated people or those with good jobs were just as vulnerable to scams as everyone else.

Still, how could I have been such easy prey? Scam victims tend to be single, lonely, and economically insecure with low financial literacy. I am none of those things. I’m closer to the opposite. I’m a journalist who had a weekly column in the “Business” section of the New York Times. I’ve written a personal-finance column for this magazine for the past seven years. I interview money experts all the time and take their advice seriously. I’m married and talk to my friends, family, and colleagues every day.

And while this is harder to quantify — how do I even put it? — I’m not someone who loses her head. My mother-in-law has described me as even-keeled; my own mom has called me “maddeningly rational.” I am listed as an emergency contact for several friends — and their kids. I vote, floss, cook, and exercise. In other words, I’m not a person who panics under pressure and falls for a conspiracy involving drug smuggling, money laundering, and CIA officers at my door. Until, suddenly, I was.

That morning — it was October 31 — I dressed my toddler in a pizza costume for Halloween and kissed him good-bye before school. I wrote some work emails. At about 12:30 p.m., my phone buzzed. The caller ID said it was Amazon. I answered. A polite woman with a vague accent told me she was calling from Amazon customer service to check some unusual activity on my account. The call was being recorded for quality assurance. Had I recently spent $8,000 on MacBooks and iPads?

I had not. I checked my Amazon account. My order history showed diapers and groceries, no iPads. The woman, who said her name was Krista, told me the purchases had been made under my business account. “I don’t have a business account,” I said. “Hmm,” she said. “Our system shows that you have two.”

Krista and I concurred that I was the victim of identity theft, and she said she would flag the fraudulent accounts and freeze their activity. She provided me with a case-ID number for future reference and recommended that I check my credit cards. I did, and everything looked normal. I thanked her for her help.

Then Krista explained that Amazon had been having a lot of problems with identity theft and false accounts lately. It had become so pervasive that the company was working with a liaison at the Federal Trade Commission and was referring defrauded customers to him. Could she connect me?

Um, sure?” I said.

Krista transferred the call to a man who identified himself as Calvin Mitchell. He said he was an investigator with the FTC, gave me his badge number, and had me write down his direct phone line in case I needed to contact him again. He also told me our call was being recorded. He asked me to verify the spelling of my name. Then he read me the last four digits of my Social Security number, my home address, and my date of birth to confirm that they were correct. The fact that he had my Social Security number threw me. I was getting nervous.

“I’m glad we’re speaking,” said Calvin. “Your personal information is linked to a case that we’ve been working on for a while now, and it’s quite serious.”

He told me that 22 bank accounts, nine vehicles, and four properties were registered to my name. The bank accounts had wired more than $3 million overseas, mostly to Jamaica and Iraq. Did I know anything about this? “No,” I said. Did I know someone named Stella Suk-Yee Kwong? “I don’t think so,” I said. He texted me a photo of her ID, which he claimed had been found in a car rented under my name that was abandoned on the southern border of Texas with blood and drugs in the trunk. A home in New Mexico affiliated with the car rental had subsequently been raided, he added, and authorities found more drugs, cash, and bank statements registered to my name and Social Security number. He texted me a drug-bust photo of bags of pills and money stacked on a table. He told me that there were warrants out for my arrest in Maryland and Texas and that I was being charged with cybercrimes, money laundering, and drug trafficking.

My head swam. I Googled my name along with “warrant” and “money laundering,” but nothing came up. Were arrest warrants public? I wasn’t sure. Google led me to truthfinder.com, which asked for my credit-card information — nope. “I’m in deep [bleep],” I texted my husband. “My identity was stolen and it seems really bad.”

Calvin wanted to know if I knew anyone who might be the culprit or if I had any connections to Iraq or Jamaica. “No,” I said. “This is the first I’m hearing about any of this, and it’s a lot to take in.” He asked if I had ever used public or unsecured Wi-Fi. “I don’t know. Maybe?” I said. “I used the airport Wi-Fi recently.”

That's all I can stand and I won't stands no more!!!

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 02/21/24.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
P.T. Barnum is alive and well- - - - - -he just changed his name! Are all damyankees that gullible?

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
P.T. Barnum is alive and well- - - - - -he just changed his name! Are all damyankees that gullible?

She clearly gets her salsa from New York City.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I read that yesterday.

6 months ago or so, someone called my office impersonating a federal investigator and tried a similar scam on me. He did have some elaborate details about my personal data/life, but when I said, you are full of ____, he hung up on me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A Jamacia a$$hole started calling my mother. He convinced her to send $400 in an envelope to an address in South Carolina. She did. Later they convinced her to send a $4000 check. She did. They called again and told her to put any money she had left over in an envelope and send it to the address in South Carolina and she did again. Only this time we caught it before it left the post office.

The post master was going to send it until I jumped her case and I told her that was evidence of a crime and I wanted the police to seize it. I showed up the next day along with the chief of police and we got the letter back with the address she had been sending money and checks to.

As for the check, I was on her account as a full partner and when I found out she sent the check I had the account closed. A bank in northern Virgina cashed the check but the funds were not taken from her account since I closed it. Since it was under $10,000 no one cared. The bank was out the $4000. I finally got ahold of Joanie Ernst's office and I let her know I wanted someone in federal law enforcement involved and 4 days later I get a call from the Postal Inspectors.

I understand the FBI got involved later and busted a group from Jamaica. Of course, no money was returned. It sounds like they got millions from mostly single females. Young and old.

This is really what the FBI is for. But, they are too busy chasing Donald Trump to work for common Americans. They are now practically a useless organization under Comey and Wray.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Be suspicious of ANY online financial transactions, even supposedly "legitimate" ones. My wife tried to pay the cardiologist who treats both of us by logging onto the "patient portal" of the conglomerate that took over his practice a few years ago. Before the transaction was finished, $35K from our savings account came very close to being transferred to a bank in Singapore. The company website (Ascension Health Care) had been hacked. They own hospitals and medical practices all over the country. The transaction was within minutes of being completed when I got involved and put a stop to it.

Now, we do NO business whatsoever with online finances. If someone wants to get paid, they'd better send me a paper bill, and I'll send a paper check. Otherwise, they can do without!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
A friend - intelligent, a former cop, now cancer deceased - in Fbks got taken a few years back for $5k. I no longer remember details, but it went something like this: Scammer claimed to be an under-cover narcotics cop that found drugs in his grand-niece's car and she was going to jail immediately , unless a surety bond was paid. He wasn't to do any LEO contact as she would then be "in the system", definitely have to go to jail until court date, would blow his cover, ,etc.

Scammer had extensive details about Sarah and all her relatives, including Gaylen, who really should have known better, especially as Sarah doesn't do drugs. First, induce fear and panic....

I've been getting a lot of scammer phone messages for the last month or two, dunno why, but some are pretty good! Everything from Mal-Ware subscriptions I don't have, to charges to my credit cards, or Amazon accounts, credit union accounts, and more.

One very good looking "contact immediately!" was identical to the real site, except with one letter left out. And from a private site email addy. Both red flags. Wife and I are constantly checking with each other, "Did you buy..." Neither of us responds to any e-mail "charge", etc. without checking with the other, and she monitors our accounts daily.

More and more, we are being forced back to checks and cash - not a bad thing - just less convenient. Not just from scammers either - this 2-5% surcharge to pay with a debit or credit card is becoming ubiquitous (is that the word?), and it's pissing me off!

Last edited by las; 02/21/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That’s mind boggling to me. Putting 50k in a shoebox and handling it to someone in a car that called her and said that he was a CIA agent😳

I bet that didn’t go over to well with her husband🤷‍♂️

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
NYC.........journalist................demotard.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
That’s mind boggling to me. Putting 50k in a shoebox and handling it to someone in a car that called her and said that he was a CIA agent😳

Bet she pegged him extra hard after.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hookeye

Bet she pegged him extra hard after.
LMAO!

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
OldmanoftheSea: Thats funny!
More proof that liberalism is a mental disease.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Female brain + Liberal = Moron.

Admits to the entire caper in a newspaper column. She doesn't embarass easily.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So much for the smug, self-righteous libtards in Jew York City braying about how sophisticated and cultured they are......

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Smh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Be suspicious of ANY online financial transactions, even supposedly "legitimate" ones. My wife tried to pay the cardiologist who treats both of us by logging onto the "patient portal" of the conglomerate that took over his practice a few years ago. Before the transaction was finished, $35K from our savings account came very close to being transferred to a bank in Singapore. The company website (Ascension Health Care) had been hacked. They own hospitals and medical practices all over the country. The transaction was within minutes of being completed when I got involved and put a stop to it.

Now, we do NO business whatsoever with online finances. If someone wants to get paid, they'd better send me a paper bill, and I'll send a paper check. Otherwise, they can do without!

If you think sending paper checks via the postal service is safe then you haven't been keeping up.

Avoid mailing your checks, experts warn. Here's what's going on with the USPS.
By Aimee Picchi
June 22, 2023 / 5:00 AM EDT / MoneyWatch
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-postal-service-warning-checks-mail-fraud-theft/

Check fraud has gotten so rampant that postal officials are warning Americans to avoid mailing checks
BYKEN SWEET AND THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
June 13, 2023
https://fortune.com/2023/06/13/chec...-warning-americans-avoid-mailing-checks/

Cheers! cool

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
So much for the smug, self-righteous libtards in Jew York City braying about how sophisticated and cultured they are......

And she still thinks that way. She went out of her way to say that she isn’t the kind of person that this happens to. She isn’t a “rube.”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

And she still thinks that way. She went out of her way to say that she isn’t the kind of person that this happens to. She isn’t a “rube.”

Whenever a denizen from that city says anything, the proper response is to declare in a snooty tone "How provincial" - it will set them off like nothing else.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the one where they hacked my office desktop and recorded my secretary and I getting it on atop the desk. If I paid up, they'd not tell my wife and boss. No cameras on that unit, I've been retired for years (they let me keep an office), and the secretary would kick my ass if I tried anything.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Old news.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (1badf350, 222Sako, 10ring1, 260Remguy, 1234, 12344mag, 39 invisible), 1,818 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,004
Posts18,520,527
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.