-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Loosing hunting ground of any kind is a kick in the gut. Half of our lease is up for sale. We’ll get the boot sooner or later.

Speaking of wild hogs, ground pig patties make a fine burger. Salt, pepper, garlic and a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce.. Dammit!
😃

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I look at the equipment and fees you have tied up in your lease and see enough money to outfit a small camping trailer and the ability to hunt deer anywhere in the country. I've killed deer in just a few states(WA, MN, WI) but travel all across the west hunting coyotes. I see deer everywhere on public lands.

WI has 500,000 hunters out for nine days and I can still hunt and track(if snow) on public lands.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by erich
I look at the equipment and fees you have tied up in your lease and see enough money to outfit a small camping trailer and the ability to hunt deer anywhere in the country. I've killed deer in just a few states(WA, MN, WI) but travel all across the west hunting coyotes. I see deer everywhere on public lands.

WI has 500,000 hunters out for nine days and I can still hunt and track(if snow) on public lands.
Deer seasons are short compared to what he can do year round.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 03/08/24.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

It’s a year around lease. I go up there about once a month to catch pigs, swim and fish in the creek

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And so do I, I can fish any lake, hunt birds anywhere I want, hunt deer anywhere I want, some year I've spent as much 6 months on the road hunting and fishing. It only costs me gas and license fees, I live in my hunting truck. Free cAmping on BLM, National forest, national grasslands,. Free camping on the road at truck stops, walmarts, some hospital parking lots. Low cost camping at county fairgrounds with hookups.

I'd be bored to death hunting the same 500 acres.

Make mine a Minaska

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You’re comparing two totally different types of hunting/fun.

Just farting around with the hogs 24/7/365 is a ball of fun. I don’t know about Texas, but for Arkansas doesn’t even require a hunting license on private ground for hogs.

Hanco doesn’t have to draw a tag or wait for points.
Or.. sleep in the Walmart parking lot. 😃

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But he's stuck on the same.patch of ground and wondering if he's going to be able to go back again next year or is somebody going to out bid him for the place.

Make mine a Minaska

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

You can hunt and fish year round for free here. Tons of public land. All of my deer hunting equipment fits in my pockets. It goes into the woods with me in the morning and comes out with me at night. I spent less than 200.00 total on deer hunting last season. That covered my license/tags, gas and cartridges and I killed 6 deer. No lease fees, no feeders, no bait, no stands. Don't need any of it. There is something to hunt and fish for every month of the year and it can all be done on public land/lakes/ponds/rivers/streams of which there are tons in every direction within a half hour of home. If you know people you can also still get permission to hunt private just for the asking. Every landowner ain't a money grubbin fuuck here yet. Deer hunting costs most of you a pretty penny while it actually saves me money by not having to buy my meat at the grocery. Of course you do actually have to learn how to hunt as bait/feeders are illegal and there ain't no food plots, crop fields or shooting houses on public land.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bet his lease fees are far cheaper than what fuel would cost to travel the nation year round. Not to mention thousands of miles a year on a vehicle.

As far as wondering if the ground is available next year that goes for anybody who hunts private unless they own it.

Yep, I too am nailed down to small parcels but it's the way I have hunted for 40 years. Never gave much thought to it.

Different strokes for different folks. Different regions, different methods. It's not a 1 shoe fits all world.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunnut308

Just farting around with the hogs 24/7/365 is a ball of fun. I don’t know about Texas, but for Arkansas doesn’t even require a hunting license on private ground for hogs.

He doesn't have to learn how to hunt either. Just bait shyt in and kill it from the comfort of an elevated shooting house. Turn him loose in 5 million acres of public forest I doubt he'd be able to find a deer.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No guarantees in life. Just like a country song, guy’s wife runs off with his truck and his dog. 😃
Expect the unexpected, it’ll happen.

Nothing wrong with being stuck on the same piece of ground. No worries of some peckerhead walking in on ya.. etc

I hunt public and private they both have positives and negatives. I’ll take private most days.
To each his own.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Was hunting deer on public a couple years ago. Hour and a half before daylight. Parked on the edge of the gravel road. Got back to my truck after dark and there was a note under my wiper blade.

“You parked right where I hunt, I’ve hunted here for years. Thanks for f-ing up my day!”

Ouachita National Forest 1.4 million acres

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Blackheart

He doesn't have to learn how to hunt either. Just bait shyt in and kill it from the comfort of an elevated shooting house. Turn him loose in 5 million acres of public forest I doubt he'd be able to find a deer.
He may fool ya.

How well do you know him?

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

He may fool ya.

DF
He may very well. Don't know much history other than he said he tried hunting public land in Texas once and it scared the crap out of him.. I bet there's a lot of people today that've never tried any other way and would be lost without their feeders/bait/food plots to sit over .

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
I hunted a 10,000 acre place in Ozone Texas. It was open enough a hunter could walk and hunt. It was my favorite place ever. I liked easing up on a large canyon, used a wrist rocket to launch rocks into the brush in bottoms to see what came running out. I killed a lot of good bucks that way. They would come flying out, stop to see WTF. That was fun. Every place else was too thick, had to go the stand and feeder program.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

He may fool ya.

DF
He may very well. Don't know much history other than he said he tried hunting public land in Texas once and it scared the crap out of him.. I bet there's a lot of people today that've never tried any other way and would be lost without their feeders/bait/food plots to sit over .
A lot could be said for the ways some game is hunted in Africa. Something tells me the brush country in Texas resembles portions of the bush in Africa.

As far as public ground in TX if it is a minimal as they say there will be hunters everywhere. Kind of like a few public area I know here in MO if they're close to larger cities/towns or military bases.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You gotta do what you gotta do I guess. The stand/feeder program would quickly bore the shyt outta me. No doubt an effective way to kill deer but that's just it, it's killing not hunting. You don't even have to be a good rifleman/marksman, what with a built in rest and all.. Nor do you need to learn to read sign, track, stalk, learn what deer prefer to feed on in the forest, where they'll likely be found at different times under varying weather conditions, where the bucks prefer to bed etc. etc. etc... All important stuff as there aren't many deer in a vast, mature forest and there's a whole bunch of it where they'll rarely if ever be found. Without the proper knowledge/skills, your chances of success will be slim. Hell, even little kids with very little knowledge or skill and no experience can kill deer from a stand overlooking a feeder/bait so where's the challenge/thrill/satisfaction in that ?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
You gotta do what you gotta do I guess. The stand/feeder program would quickly bore the shyt outta me. No doubt an effective way to kill deer but that's just it. It's killing not hunting. You don't even have to be a good rifleman/marksman, what with a built in rest and all.. Nor do you need to learn to read sign, track, stalk, learn what deer prefer to feed on in the forest, where they'll likely be found at different times under varying weather conditions, where the bucks prefer to bed etc. etc. etc... All important stuff as there aren't many deer in a vast, mature forest and there's a whole bunch of it where they'll rarely if ever be found. Without the proper skills, your chances of success will be slim. Hell, even little kids with very little knowledge, skill or experience can kill deer from a stand overlooking a feeder/bait so where's the challenge/thrill/satisfaction in that ?

Ignorance vs. stupidity.

I don't think you are stupid, but.......

Your ignorance is on display most every time you reply/post about how we hunt in Texas.

"Hunting is the human practice of seeking, pursuing, capturing, or killing wildlife or feral animals.[10] The most common reasons for humans to hunt are to exploit the animal's body for meat and useful animal products (fur/hide, bone/tusks, horn/antler, etc.), for recreation/taxidermy (see trophy hunting), although it may also be done for non-exploitative reasons such as removing predators dangerous to humans or domestic animals (e.g. wolf hunting), to eliminate pests and nuisance animals that damage crops/livestock/poultry or spread diseases (see varminting), for trade/tourism (see safari), or for ecological conservation against overpopulation and invasive species.
Recreationally hunted species are generally referred to as the game, and are usually mammals and birds. A person participating in a hunt is a hunter.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunting

I realize that once a topic is posted, that the direction that thread takes is "fair game" for any and all. This thread was about losing a lease. Most folks here in Texas and most likely any area that has private land hunted by leaseholders understand and can relate to Hanco's predicament.

In the 25 years or so that I've enjoyed differing hunting forums, I continue to be amused by folks such as yourself who seem to see it as their duty/mission to criticize how we hunt considering that it is a way of life of which they have little or no experience.

Quien Sabe,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 03/08/24.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
I like having my own things, my own stand, feeders, etc. I don’t like the idea of people wandering up on me that I don’t know. I don’t like the idea of walking up on another hunter. There are dummies that will shoot anything that moves.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by hanco
I hunted a 10,000 acre place in Ozone Texas. It was open enough a hunter could walk and hunt. It was my favorite place ever. I liked easing up on a large canyon, used a wrist rocket to launch rocks into the brush in bottoms to see what came running out. I killed a lot of good bucks that way. They would come flying out, stop to see WTF. That was fun. Every place else was too thick, had to go the stand and feeder program.

Don’t you mean, Ozona?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 1,618 guests, and 909 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,286
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.