Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WTM45
Enjoy your state land hunting.
But do not disparage those private landowners of their right to hold and manage their property as they see fit.
They pay for that right.
State land can be better than private. It can be far less crowded depending on where you go, with much more freedom to roam. I can often hunt State land all day and never come across another hunter or even anothers boot track in the snow. Often there are fewer rules too. I used to have permission to hunt on a place where the owner set so many rules on what deer you were allowed to shoot I only hunted there once and said the heck with it. He had cam pics of several bucks he showed me before I went out.... "Don't shoot these little bucks, they need time to grow, don't shoot this 8 point he'll be a monster in another year or two and for god sakes don't shoot this big 10 point, he's mine".. No thanks buddy, I'll just go hunt somewhere else.

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I know plenty about hunting, state and private. And I know many hunters just want the opportunity to shoot everything and anything they want to shoot.
Wherever they find it.
NYS landowners pay a lot in taxes and maintenance to be in charge of their property. I respect that.
A few local folks around my properties did not.
I let it all go. Best move ever.

It will never again be as it was 25+ years ago.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I know plenty about hunting, state and private. And I know many hunters just want the opportunity to shoot everything and anything they want to shoot.
Wherever they find it.
NYS landowners pay a lot in taxes and maintenance to be in charge of their property. I respect that.

Then there's the landowners that don't want anybody on because of their illegal activities. Baiting, which is illegal, being a big one here. Along with the many, many deer illegally tagged {with their wives/kids/parents tags most commonly}, not tagged at all or taken with a rifle during bow season. There are TONS iof those types around. A group of non residents who own a camp/land near here got busted with 6 bucks during archery season that all had bullet holes in them last year. Subsequent investigation located several stands on the property overlooking feeders.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
How does a non-landowner know what is occurring on another landowner's property?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Blackheart
But do not disparage those private landowners of their right to hold and manage their property as they see fit.
They pay for that right.
State land can be better than private. It can be far less crowded depending on where you go, with much more freedom to roam. I can often hunt State land all day and never come across another hunter or even anothers boot track in the snow. Often there are fewer rules too. I used to have permission to hunt on a place where the owner set so many rules on what deer you were allowed to shoot I only hunted there once and said the heck with it. He had cam pics of several bucks he showed me before I went out.... "Don't shoot these little bucks, they need time to grow, don't shoot this 8 point he'll be a monster in another year or two and for god sakes don't shoot this big 10 point, he's mine".. No thanks buddy, I'll just go hunt somewhere else.
If everyone did that, let small bucks grow, respected the game and the land, etc, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

"If it's brown, it's down" seems more the mantra of the locals. And, yes we have some scumbags, but they're everywhere, not just here. And they're butt hurt because they don't have the run of the country side.

So, they're dealt with to the full extent of the law. Amazing how well that works. Just gotta catch a few, make an example and the word gets out thru the grapevine. A sacrificial goat here and there and the populace understands their limits.

Or if not, they're the next sacrificial goat. Doesn't take many or that often. That bunch equate nice with weak, tough with strong. So, that's the way to goes.

DF

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Slob is found on both private and public. Plenty of work for the Wardens, DEC or state agency in charge.
Either location, it is their job to enforce, not ours.
Landowners often find there is little time or resources to help with their problems. And there are plenty of those problems.

The joy of land ownership and stewardship can be sucked right out of you in a hurry.
I see no problem at all in charging a lease to those who want to use the property. It is only fair they should support the cost of taxation and provide liability coverage.
No free ride wanted here. Never asked for one. Never will.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Blackheart
They pay for that right.
If everyone did that, let small bucks grow, respected the game and the land, etc, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

"If it's brown, it's down" seems more the mantra of the locals. And, yes we have some scumbags, but they're everywhere, not just here. And they're butt hurt because they don't have the run of the country side.

So, they're dealt with to the full extent of the law. Amazing how well that works. Just gotta catch a few, make an example and the word gets out thru the grapevine. A sacrificial goat here and there and the populace understands their limits.

Or if not, they're the next sacrificial goat. Doesn't take many or that often. That bunch equate nice with weak, tough with strong. So, that's the way to goes.

DF
Trophy hunting/trophy hunters are KILLING THE SPORT. Wherever big bucks are found in numbers, the cost of hunting them goes through the roof and out of reach of the masses. That does NO FAVORS for license sales, the future of the sport or gun ownership. The biggest reason the lease system hasn't taken over here and you can still get permission to hunt just by asking is we aren't known as a prime trophy buck destination. You can keep that shyt. You want a big buck, get off your dead ass and earn it. They've ALWAYS BEEN HERE for those with the skills, ambition, determination or just plain luck to get one. They ain't supposed to be behind every friggin bush so every stand sitting dope with a rifle can get one every year. I was fortunate to grow up in a place and time where I could walk out my back door and hunt to my hearts content any time I wanted. None of our neighboring landowners posted their land and we had State land within 5 miles in either direction. We didn't have the money to afford a lease so if I'd have come of hunting age today in an area with no public land nearby and all the private land tied up in leases, I'd have been SOL. I feel for the kids growing up in such an area today.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Poor Blackie. He's 1800 miles from TX and we've ruined the hunting up there for him. Condolences sent.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Poor Blackie. He's 1800 miles from TX and we've ruined the hunting up there for him. Condolences sent.

LOL, you fuggers.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Blackie has being a victim down pat and he want's everyone to know it. Rio7

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Cost is the buffer between supply and demand.

Econ101.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
How does a non-landowner know what is occurring on another landowner's property?
Or care.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
You haven't ruined anything for me personally. I have way more land to hunt in my immediate area than you ever will living in Texas..

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Cost is the buffer between supply and demand.

Econ101.

DF
Tell yourself what you must to justify your position but it's total bullshyt. There are far fewer hunters today than there were 50 years ago and license sales continue to fall.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Or care.

DF
It tells how you know in my previous post for anybody who doesn't ride the short bus. Lotta short bus riders here obviously.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It describes one way in the post directly before you aked this question dumbass. Gosh I get tired of dealing with the mentally retarded.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Wherever they find it.

It's good you got out. Non resident city folk don't belong upstate. They don't fit in. Never have, never will.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
as a landowner i let my family enjoy the deer hunting as i do and have , grandkids and ladies can shoot each a deer and or a nicer buck ,son and i hold out for a decent buck so we don`t always get a buck . i have food plots , buy good alfalfa for the deer for the winter but we do have wolf problems . i have some deer that live on my land year around its private and only a couple friends and close family hunt on this property ever , i pay for everything i want my grandkids and family to feel and they do its a holiday weekend for us , i get the honor to have my grandson with me those days and he does the shooting at deer . i wish you all could or do get to experience kids and grandkids to hunt with. take care,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Hanco,

Any prospects for another lease or stick to your east Texas location?

Quien Sabe,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
pete53, Good on ya! my Son and Granddaughters will be here to hunt pigs with me over spring break from college, you can't beat shooting and hunting with family. Rio7

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 11 invisible), 1,452 guests, and 809 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,306
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.