Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
This looks like a good one:

I find those reticles with a horseshoe or ring around them to be distracting, and yes I know what their purpose is. Give me a crosshair/duplex/T-plex, preferably with a lighted dot in the middle.

OTOH, some of the Sightron stuff looks pretty good, so I’ve added them to the list of possibles.

The reticle on my Bushnell AR 1-6 has almost a complete circle on it with a dot sitting on a post. I didn't think I would like it, but I ended up loving after I used it.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i bought one o the first Leoupold vx-1 1x4x20 pig hunter reticle scope on my AR . i like it .they about 300 dollors now

NRA Life Member
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by cra1948
I have optics on a couple of my AR's. One is outside the parameters of this discussion, but one is a Burris 1-6 LPVO with an illuminated reticle. I haven't really used it enough to give a comprehensive evaluation, only to say it's okay optically and I had no trouble dialing it adequately to hunt with it this fall...killed one deer with it. I'm looking forward to using it some more when I get the opportunity for some range time.

This thread motivated me to dig out the above mentioned rifle and scope (been put away since fall) and get somewhat reacquainted with it. It's an RT-6 and the lighted part of the reticle is a circle/dot. Brightness is adjustable via dial on the side and between each increment of brightness is an "Off" position. Interesting (to me anyway) was the fact that with magnification set at 1, it actually seems like a little less than 1, in other words, a slight wide-angle effect.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
SWFA 1X4 Or Athlon 2x12 are on my AR,S

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I would add that if the primary purpose of this rifle is defense, then you want a true 1X on the low end for close up situations. In most cases you don't need a lot of magnification for SD, but you do need something that is fast at 5 yards.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If "home defense" is truly your #1 goal, then probably NO OPTICAL sight may be best. Make your rear peep sight opening as large a ghost ring as you can. Paint your front sight bright orange or green. Your encounters are likely to be be very close, and you may be more likely to be "pointing" rather than "aiming". You'll be able to be more aware of your surroundings, and the perp's movement with iron sights, and not lose precise time trying to: find the perp in your scope, and not be so focused on on thing ("aiming"). There may be more than one perp, and a large ghost ring rear will allow enough "aiming", but you will also be able to maintain observation/assessment of the "perp area" for his/her team members.

If optics absolutely necessary, then employ the KISS method:
Weaver micro-trac steel-tubed k1.5

Or, something like a Weaver Classic (Japan) 1-3x.

I vote for a big honking ghost ring rear peep sight...and practicing with it from 5 - 50 feet.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

This is an excellent scope, especially for the money, & comes with a Sig mount; I love the reticle. Great of all around use.

Sig optics seem to punch a little above their price point, IMO.

MM

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Doug what does the Sig scope weigh?

kk alaska

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Doug what does the Sig scope weigh?

18.5 ounces

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
One more thing I think is very desirable on a defense rifle is daylight bright illumination. A lot of less expensive scopes have illumination, but it's not daylight bright. When you're shooting under pressure, illumination really helps, no matter what the light conditions are.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Bought a Sig Tango 1-6X24 from Doug like the looks and reticle capped .5 inch adjustments 44 " travel. Free Ground shipping a good deal for Alaskans as most ship Air ordered it on Monday here by Thursday! thanks Doug

kk alaska

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Bought a Sig Tango 1-6X24 from Doug like the looks and reticle capped .5 inch adjustments 44 " travel. Free Ground shipping a good deal for Alaskans as most ship Air ordered it on Monday here by Thursday! thanks Doug

Our pleasure, enjoy it

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Sig is a great choice.

Love Ksmïthïnhïzzër/fląvöřÐ.
G
Goat Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Finally went with the Steiner 1-4x 30mm with the diamond and dot illuminated reticle. Seems like it is going to fit the bill.

"I know you believe that you understand what you think that I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
( A quote of my Father)
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Give me a crosshair/duplex/T-plex, preferably with a lighted dot in the middle.

👍 I’d say a heavy duplex on a 1-6 would be the Bee’s Knees. If your combat rifle in waiting is a 5.56 16 to 20” barrel carbine, does a FFP mil reticle with kill zone outline really do anything clinically significant for you? Forgive my ignorance but it seems to me such an outfit would be prepped for fast acquisition of target at close to mid range out to 150ish yards. A heavy duplex or triplex does that without batteries or quantum calculus. At say 300 yds max a more unhurried shot should be absolutely doable on a human torso target. Some feel a lighted reference point is a good thing but a heavy reticle can make that not only redundant but unrequired. A matter of personal preference. But my point here is that simplicity has its strong points. The primary purpose of the weapon considered is to rapidly engage targets in that 10 foot to 150 yard span. Have manufacturers been pushed by inflated need to market overly complex products? To me it seems apparent.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Obviously lots of choices for an AR scope mine is only for plinking & the occasional coyote / ground squirrel so my Burris ff2 is fine. For self defense I load number 4 & 5 heavy duck loads in a semi-auto 12 gauge. Perfectly deadly inside a room & no wall penetration to kill neighbors or family members. I’m pretty rural so it would be unlucky to hit an unintended person. Easy to do in a crowded urban environment- see KC parade shooting.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the Leupold VX6 1-6 that I own has a heavy duplex, I like the scope. Other than the power ring is too tight and I had to install a lever given to me by another fire member, I am very happy with it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (808outdoors, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, AKislander, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,401 guests, and 800 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,496
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.