-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For those of you that have used traditional cans and flow-through style cans, is there really that much difference when using an AR15 or AR10?

I do know that I seem to eat more gas with a stout ball-powder .223 load in my AR15 than I do with a factory .308 load in my AR10 when using the exact same can (and charging handle), but I mark that up to the AR10 having an adjustable gas block versus the fixed block of the AR15. I also note that I don't eat so much gas with the .223 when using my preferred H4895/77TMK load instead of my CFE223/65SGK load

Now with even more aplomb
GB1

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm far from an expert on the matter but a friend of mine is wrong handed. He shoots suppressed a lot and he's always dealt with gas and debris in his face. His agency went to the HuxWrx Flow 556K on their 6933's and he is not bothered at all now. I shot his gun wrong handed and right handed just to see, my eyes didn't burn and nothing hit my face.

Video's online show the amount of gas coming out of the chamber dramatically reduced.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TWR
I'm far from an expert on the matter but a friend of mine is wrong handed. He shoots suppressed a lot and he's always dealt with gas and debris in his face. His agency went to the HuxWrx Flow 556K on their 6933's and he is not bothered at all now. I shot his gun wrong handed and right handed just to see, my eyes didn't burn and nothing hit my face.

Video's online show the amount of gas coming out of the chamber dramatically reduced.
Thats good info. Thanks for sharing, I won't recall it when I need it but its good. At some point the wifes truck gun needs a foldable stock and go to SBR with a can on the end for a ballistic backpack. Then it will be as good as it gets. Hopefully I can recall this. On this one I'd go dedicated except probably 7.62 instead.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And now that I"ve seen the whole video, was taking your word, this poison stuff....

At least I know the wife and I should die soon from the 100,000s of thousands of AR rounds we shot in our lifetime.

The [bleep] they worry about. Whatever. OTOH any help along the way is probably a plus but to hear him talk we should be dead by now. LOL. Might be tomorrow you never know. As much fence as I repaired this afternoon trying to beat the cold front and high winds I feel like I might not make it lol

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
HuxWrx is now making my can in 7.62 and in Titanium. If I had anything bigger than a 22-250AI I’d probably buy one.

Yeah the poison stuff is a little far fetched but when your eyes water from shooting then something needs to be done.

And remember, unless you were shooting a can, pressure wasn’t being forced out the chamber.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
High round count training evolutions using an overgassed MK-18 and a high back pressure Surefire are going to bring different levels of toxic gas than shooting outside/unsuppressed/longer barrel.

When your face has a layer of soot you know you breathed in some stuff you wish you did not breath in.

Reducing backpressure also mean less cleaning which is another source of icky chemicals entering the body.

It's probably smart to be wearing nitrile gloves when cleaning if you are a high volume shooter. I know Jerry M. now does when cleaning ARs.

I can say it's entirely possible to not get gas in the face when shooting suppressed ARs, even off the left shoulder.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JPro
For those of you that have used traditional cans and flow-through style cans, is there really that much difference when using an AR15 or AR10?

I do know that I seem to eat more gas with a stout ball-powder .223 load in my AR15 than I do with a factory .308 load in my AR10 when using the exact same can (and charging handle), but I mark that up to the AR10 having an adjustable gas block versus the fixed block of the AR15. I also note that I don't eat so much gas with the .223 when using my preferred H4895/77TMK load instead of my CFE223/65SGK load
I know it’s a half assed solution to a solvable problem, but have you siliconed your charging handle? When my can was first released after my stamp was approved I couldn’t wait to try it out and spun it onto my only threaded rifle, an 18” AR. I was instantly getting gas in the face out of the charging handle cut and went to Napa the next day for a can of black RTV. Sprayed the back of the receiver with Oneshot case lube as release agent and degreased the charging handle before running a bead of RTV on the handle and locking it home to let it dry. It will need to be redone periodically but it does work. Doesn’t solve to over gassed issue but at least keeps it out of your eyes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m using a charge handle that’s supposed to minimize gas from the rear, but the RTV might still be worth a look.

Now with even more aplomb
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TWR
HuxWrx is now making my can in 7.62 and in Titanium. If I had anything bigger than a 22-250AI I’d probably buy one.

Yeah the poison stuff is a little far fetched but when your eyes water from shooting then something needs to be done.

And remember, unless you were shooting a can, pressure wasn’t being forced out the chamber.
Eyes could water depending without a can, until we learned to easily seal our charging handles. That cut out lots of it. Still as many rounds and people shooting and nothing being noted...on a dangerous level... its just some way to make more money.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TheKid
Originally Posted by JPro

I know it’s a half assed solution to a solvable problem, but have you siliconed your charging handle? When my can was first released after my stamp was approved I couldn’t wait to try it out and spun it onto my only threaded rifle, an 18” AR. I was instantly getting gas in the face out of the charging handle cut and went to Napa the next day for a can of black RTV. Sprayed the back of the receiver with Oneshot case lube as release agent and degreased the charging handle before running a bead of RTV on the handle and locking it home to let it dry. It will need to be redone periodically but it does work. Doesn’t solve to over gassed issue but at least keeps it out of your eyes.
We have done it since the late 80s or early 90s. Wind in your face and you got stuff hitting you and gas in your face, watered your eyes etc, even around the shooting glasses. Just made sense to keep that stuff away from your eyes. Never hurt that it might help your health RE breathing. But like masks and covid, it all depends on what you believe and if you think for yourself.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
High round count training evolutions using an overgassed MK-18 and a high back pressure Surefire are going to bring different levels of toxic gas than shooting outside/unsuppressed/longer barrel.

When your face has a layer of soot you know you breathed in some stuff you wish you did not breath in.

Reducing backpressure also mean less cleaning which is another source of icky chemicals entering the body.

It's probably smart to be wearing nitrile gloves when cleaning if you are a high volume shooter. I know Jerry M. now does when cleaning ARs.

I can say it's entirely possible to not get gas in the face when shooting suppressed ARs, even off the left shoulder.
I've not seen you suggest your choices for cans. I've no issue buying whats better in the end, but I won't get rid of what I have. So suggestions of your cans welcome. If I missed it, apologies

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have had the Optimus for quite a few years now, it has held up well.
.22 rifle and pistol, .300 bulk, .308, .30 ‘06, 350 legend, 9 mm carbine and pistol.
I just leave the 9 mm end cap on all the time. If you can tell the difference in the sound when shooting .22 with the .22 cap on good for you.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I see the Omega 36M is rated for multi-calibers? Any thoughts on that?

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Didn't need to snag an alternative - they got some RC2's in and I bought. Nice.

Me

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
having trouble recalling the name but it was something made and I believe it was for 375 or up to a 375 and they tested this with sound equipment down to 22 caliber and it was as good or better than anything else they tested that was made for a caliber specific..

Last edited by ldholton; 02/15/24.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
^^^^

I’ll never buy another dedicated 223/5.56 can. I’ll keep buying 30 cal or larger stuff.

I’ll posit they’re almost all at least as quiet as a dedicated 223 can, because: they’ve almost all got far more chamber volume than most dedicated 223 cans, which is where your suppression happens to begin with. Most 223 cans are minimized for 223. That catch 22 likely matters far more than bore size or appropriate end caps. For high volume semis, I’m in on the flow through stuff. I’ve probably ingested enough trash from surefires over the years. For hunting, even with ARs, it’s not been an issue so much.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 02/15/24.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Silencer Central Banish 46 multi caliber
user serviceable
multiple attachment options-Ti brakes,Ti Piston Hsg,Ti Direct thread
TI & Inconel construction

Keep 'em in the X Ring,
DAN
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 257bobber, 222Sako, 63 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,995
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.