-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I enjoy winter and the activities that go with it, but I'm liking the 70's in the 10 day forecast more than the 15 we had Saturday morning.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I guess I have a hard time understanding a material (steel) that has such a huge temperature range in its metallurgical makeup, can be that affected by a drop in temperature of 100 degrees from 60 above to 40 below…

I'm with you. Never heard of such a thing.

Steel is also effected the other way (with heat)
I worked in a Steel Fabrication Shop and we were building a huge Girder it was around 120 ft long as I remember.

I was the young trainee that did all of the climbing for the older guy teaching me.

We would lay the Girder out (draw the lines on it for connection plates and holes) in the cool morning and our in house quality control would come out and check what we did in the after hot afternoon.

We laid the Girder out maybe 5 or 6 times because we were off on our measurements according to our quality control guy's.

The old guy teaching me had an idea of what was happening and had the quality control guy come out just as we finished laying the Girder out in the morning.

Well it was finally excepted.

That afternoon the old guy told me to go out with him and check the Girder in the hot afternoon sun.

That Girder grew 8 inches in the heat.

I asked the old guy how do buildings not rip them selves apart with the expansion and contraction.

He went into a lengthy explanation as to why buildings stand with out falling apart with the expansion and contraction.

This old guy was a Rivet Catcher way back in his younger days building Lost Angeles.
I owe that guy a lot from what he taught me in the short time we had together.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The fact that you might not "understand it"

What I know about steel is this.... When I bump my head against anything made of steel, my head hurts.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I forget the coefficient of expansion for steel, would need to ask one of my engineer brothers - but it IS substantial.
When I build long pipe rails (or sucker rod runs), I'll sleeve them every 50' or so. Have to use a longer sleeve than you'd initially believe to keep them from coming apart in sub-zero temps.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The largest rail I'm aware of is 136 pound per yard.
Believe it is not, extreme cold can make 136 pound rail literally pull itself apart.
Extreme heat in the summer, and 136 pound rail will expand until it crawls off the ties out into the right-of-way.
Those are call "sun kinks"!

Last edited by MartinStrummer; 02/22/24.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I would love to see a better picture of it.

My old failure analysis professor would be weary of blaming it on the cold only.

Unless it was made in the same factory as the Titanic.
Could be that it had been stressed prior and had invisible to the eye fractures. They were moving 36” diameter, 40’ long pipe. Don’t know the wall.

Might not have been cold-only, but it did happen IN the cold. Few good things happen to machinery below -40!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
What happens if you drop your plastiGlock when it gets cold?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I would love to see a better picture of it.

My old failure analysis professor would be weary of blaming it on the cold only.

Unless it was made in the same factory as the Titanic.
Could be that it had been stressed prior and had invisible to the eye fractures. They were moving 36” diameter, 40’ long pipe. Don’t know the wall.

Might not have been cold-only, but it did happen IN the cold. Few good things happen to machinery below -40!

People neither!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On the North Slope, they don't usually move drill rigs when -40F or colder and helicopters are grounded.
I've seen goose necks pulled off trailers and cold axe heads break.

Nothing new in cold country.

We had -62F two weeks ago......just hunker down as it's really tough on vehicles.

I live about ten miles from CRTC [us army cold regions test center] and I know a couple engineers there. They have some great stories.
During last year's Army cold weather training exercise, it was only -20F but the winds were howling. Three Humvees caught fire and burned up.
A couple porta buildings also burned and there were over 100 cases of frostbite in the troops. Bunny Boots are now back on the equipment list.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I guess I have a hard time understanding a material (steel) that has such a huge temperature range in its metallurgical makeup, can be that affected by a drop in temperature of 100 degrees from 60 above to 40 below…

I'm with you. Never heard of such a thing.

We qualify ten to twelve welding procedures each year for my welding business. Charpy V Notch test (CVNs) are performed to test toughness. There is a huge difference in toughness between 0ºF and -70ºF.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Why do you heat things to shape them?

Originally Posted by flintlocke
What happens if you drop your plastiGlock when it gets cold?

The same thing that happens to plastic vacuum lines when you try and get a wrench in behind them in subzero temperatures?

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 02/22/24.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As a crane operator on the slope I could work without issue to -30f but after that it took approval as that's about where stuff starts to go south.

When you see someone throw an extension cord off a truck and it shatters.....you'll understand.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I used to work for a company that manufactured mining equipment. At the request of a customer in Northern Saskatchewan, the company designed & built a machine for the customers needs. The most expensive item ever made in Ky. at the time that was to be exported.

Anyway, the build start was slow. Sourcing, waiting & special treatment of every component. Special cold weather steel & welding wire, hydraulic fluid, wiring, etc. etc. was in the design & build specifications. I knew some of the specs then & understand a little about metallurgy but that was decades ago.
Now all I do know is just what Vern said. At those temps most materials just don't cut it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always imagined that low enough temperatures would make steel brittle, but that was just an intuitive thing. Intuitive "knowledge" is often wrong. I guess it can be correct now and then.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Our shop would glue the coolant lines on our trucks. It seems that the swing from operating temp to ambient could be too much for the clamps to effectively seal.

Another fun one is sitting in a hydraulic crane and scoping out 100' of boom. The rig would rattle and go "BANG". Suddenly we lost boom length due to oil cooling.

Pumping grease at -30 is impossible without arctic grade grease.....and propane heaters simply don't work.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Too many things seem to go wrong when it gets -20 and colder. Sometimes it just best to wait the cold out. I know it’s just not feasible for big businesses, but at a personal level, it’s just too hard on equipment.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Read and article written when they began building the Alaskan Pipeline.
Guy goes out one super frigid morning and gets the equipment running and warming up.
Operator jumps on a big, rubber tired front loader, kicks it in gear......and the tires crumble! The tires, apparently, had frozen! ALASKA WINS AGAIN!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
-30 in SWMT and the school bus is still gonna pick your kid up on time. All manner of life continue, as everything just can’t be shut down for 2 weeks because it’s cold. Never noticed any cars breaking in half.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
If memory serves me correctly there are a couple of rifle barrel manufacturers that do not recommend stainless steel rifle barrels to the used in extreme cold temperatures like could be seen in Alaska.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mine, almost never, works well in dry cold conditions.

Warm & moist, for the win !

wink

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

490 members (12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 47 invisible), 1,903 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,755
Posts18,495,459
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.