Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Originally Posted by Azshooter
Here is the link:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/g...man-who-owned-reptile-as-pet/ar-BB1iCceB

Only a fool would handle a gila monster!
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

This one was found dead on the bottom of the pool. Otherwise I would not be holding it.

Would have loved to have had the skin but the penalties are very severe. I buried it.
Cool little creature, too bad you couldn’t get it mounted.
Do you suppose he was trying to mount it when it bit him?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is the link:

This one was found dead on the bottom of the pool. Otherwise I would not be holding it.

Would have loved to have had the skin but the penalties are very severe. I buried it.
I agree with your comment - we see some out here occasionally and a guy has to really make an effort in order to get bitten by one of those critters. In any individual case, one's body chemistry/condition very well may create a proclivity for bad reaction to the toxin - thus the "rare" death from getting clamped/chewed.

It would have been really neat if you could have preserved that fabulous skin as a memento. Yes, the protective penalties are strong, but I wonder if you might have gotten permission had you contacted G&F, documented the pool death, etc. and come up with the right words for those guys.

Thanks for the post and great photo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rainshot
Some people never learn.

This guy did.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CCCC
Here is the link:

I agree with your comment - we see some out here occasionally and a guy has to really make an effort in order to get bitten by one of those critters. In any individual case, one's body chemistry/condition very well may create a proclivity for bad reaction to the toxin - thus the "rare" death from getting clamped/chewed.

It would have been really neat if you could have preserved that fabulous skin as a memento. Yes, the protective penalties are strong, but I wonder if you might have gotten permission had you contacted G&F, documented the pool death, etc. and come up with the right words for those guys.

Doubtful. I guess that authorities would have been suspicious of the story. Even if they did believe it they would have seized the corpse of the monster for two reasons. First, it's forbidden for a private individual to possess. Second, they would have had it preserved for their own display purposes at an education center, HQ building, or for show and tell at schools, etc.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC
Here is the link:

I would guess he had an allergic reaction. Just like snakes and bees where most folks have a limited reaction that is survivable, some don’t even make it to the ER.

Was just a couple years back a kid was killed by a rattlesnake near my in-laws in Colorado. Poor kiddo was dead in minutes after the bite.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Only one experience with a Gila monster. The wife and I went to the range to do a little shooting and we started to set up on the bench when I saw two Gila Monsters trying to take advantage of the shade from the bench. Wife said no way she's shoot off that bench and went back to the car. As I finished setting up, one walked away and headed for my vehicle, It parked itself along side the right front tire and I guess took a nap. At least that's what it looked like. The other one stayed under the bench during the whole time I shot. Never moved and never bothered me. I was careful to not disturb it so AFAIK, I don't think they are exceptionally aggressive. Maybe it was just too hot for it to bother. IIRC, it was about 115 for the high for the day. THat's the only time I've ever seen one outside of a glass aquarium. Kind of a cool experience on one hell of a hot day.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Oldidaho: Damn!
Tough way to go - some kind of poisonous/infected bite by your little pet!
Shame
Thanks for the info.
I don't think they live in Montana?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Only one experience with a Gila monster. The wife and I went to the range to do a little shooting and we started to set up on the bench when I saw two Gila Monsters trying to take advantage of the shade from the bench. Wife said no way she's shoot off that bench and went back to the car. As I finished setting up, one walked away and headed for my vehicle, It parked itself along side the right front tire and I guess took a nap. At least that's what it looked like. The other one stayed under the bench during the whole time I shot. Never moved and never bothered me. I was careful to not disturb it so AFAIK, I don't think they are exceptionally aggressive. Maybe it was just too hot for it to bother. IIRC, it was about 115 for the high for the day. THat's the only time I've ever seen one outside of a glass aquarium. Kind of a cool experience on one hell of a hot day.
PJ
First found one way back - 1962 - new to AZ and our 2 yr. old daughter spotted it when we went out to the fenced back yard - it was just sitting still in the shade and she thought it must be a toy or doll. I did not know what it was - but wary. Poked it with a stick and it hardly moved - determined to stay in the shade. Cold blood reptile and normal tendencies - that was just the beginning of learning about SW reptiles. My experience with them is that, in order to get bit by a Gila Monster, a person has to try.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Gila Monster bites are almost never fatal. This was probably a result of the jab.
Very interesting observation; I wonder if more will come out about that? Although if it does, we may never see it, if it doesn't fit the approved agenda.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The guy was obviously a wuss- - - - -he should have gone full retard and gotten himself a Monitor lizard!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We see them often in our neighborhood during the monsoon.

I have stopped a few times to help one get over the curb using a hat and a stick. I have thought if I could grab it as shown in the photo, perhaps I could move it more easily but common sense prevents it.

Saved a baby from the pool one time using the dip net. One of the dogs was barking furiously in the horse corral, checked it out, it was another gila monster. They generally move slowly giving plenty of opportunities for picture taking. They will hiss loudly if you get too close.

They are known for eating the eggs of quail, tortoise and other lizards.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Posted this last year. Wife and dog were on a walk near the house we were renting in St. George and took the pic. It was crossing the trail in front of them.

[Linked Image]

Carpe' Scrotum
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Make a nice wallet.

Make nice accents on a holster like milt sparks uses shark and elephant.

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've caught many of them. I've always held them. You have yet try to get bit.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Dude wasn’t diabetic, I bet.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

357 members (16gage, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12savage, 1936M71, 51 invisible), 2,058 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,859
Posts18,497,155
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.