Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Gents -- can you recommend a muzzle loader build kit that you've got firsthand experience with? Walnut preferred but not mandatory.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Scratch build, or go home.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Kibler, Chambers, Pecatonica, or Track of the Wolf, you will have a nice rifle.

Stay away from TVM, Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading in Natchez MS, not to be confused with Jack Garner's Tennessee Valley Manufacturing in Corinth MS.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I might have to go home, then! Much as I'd like to spend the time shaping a blank... I just don't have it.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
I might have to go home, then! Much as I'd like to spend the time shaping a blank... I just don't have it.

If time is your main concern (and you're not left handed) go with a Kibler. Pretty much snap together fit and very little fitting required. All done on CNC machines. Have yet to hear a bad word about a Kibler Rifle. Rave reviews all across internet land. Keep in mind Kibler only does flintlocks but to me that's not a bad thing. Personally I can't stand the arrogant puke, but he builds a helluva damn GOOD rifle that he will stand behind 110%.

The difference between a good kit and a bad one is the lock that you get. That matters with a flintlock, not really quite so much with a percussion. You didn't mention which you were after.

If I HAD to choose a "kit", I'd look at those I listed above and jump right into it. Notice I failed to mention such as Traditions and the like. That's on purpose. Judge the quality by what the price tag says. You get what you pay for when it comes to muzzleloader kits. Gone is the day when you could hammer together a T/C kit, not break the bank, and end up with a good rifle.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm

If time is your main concern (and you're not left handed) go with a Kibler. Pretty much snap together fit and very little fitting required. All done on CNC machines. Have yet to hear a bad word about a Kibler Rifle. Rave reviews all across internet land. Keep in mind Kibler only does flintlocks but to me that's not a bad thing. Personally I can't stand the arrogant puke, but he builds a helluva damn GOOD rifle that he will stand behind 110%.

The difference between a good kit and a bad one is the lock that you get. That matters with a flintlock, not really quite so much with a percussion. You didn't mention which you were after.

If I HAD to choose a "kit", I'd look at those I listed above and jump right into it. Notice I failed to mention such as Traditions and the like. That's on purpose. Judge the quality by what the price tag says. You get what you pay for when it comes to muzzleloader kits. Gone is the day when you could hammer together a T/C kit, not break the bank, and end up with a good rifle.

Thanks, Fed. I'll look into the Kibler. I don't mind doing some fitting (I work on stocks for bolt guns frequently)... just couldn't commit to starting with a blank right now. (Though at some point, that seems like a fun way to kill time in the garage.)

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for the Kibler. You get a very good lock with them. I put a 58 cal. Colonial from them together last year and love it.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jeeper
Another vote for the Kibler. You get a very good lock with them. I put a 58 cal. Colonial from them together last year and love it.

Jim Kibler makes his own locks and they are VERY hard to beat for quality.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Clockwork, Kibler has a TON of videos on YouTube that go into just about every aspect of building his kits. It would pay dividends to watch as many as you can before starting a kit. A lot of his knowledge can be applied to just about any kit from anywhere.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have a hard time with kits, I buy them and never do them. I purchased an old 58 cal cva mountain rifle kit last year thinking I’d put it together. It’s just not my thing

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Funny, I've heard the same things you say about Kibler.
From guys big in the Flintlock world, who know him well.

A testament to your product when folks who can't stand you speak highly
of your work.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Funny, I've heard the same things you say about Kibler.
From guys big in the Flintlock world, who know him well.

A testament to your product when folks who can't stand you speak highly
of your work.

I'm OLD school for building flntlocks. I try to use as many traditional tools and methods as feasible. It takes me a long time to turn a pile of parts into a good rifle. I don't personally like the market flooding with CNC mass produced rifles that are nearly impossible to distinguish from one built by a true craftsman with traditional methods. But then again, how many people would be into traditional flintlocks if it weren't for Jim Kibler? Jim Kibler does give a broad spectrum of people the opportunity to own and shoot a fine rifle. Many more than us bench builders could ever dream of.

Kibler has a disturbing aversion to left handed people. I wouldn't call it a hatred of southpaws, but for some reason they are second class people to him. I've seen him unapologetically post that way. That is the reason he won't even consider producing a left handed rifle, and the reason I'll never buy his products. His choice, and my choice.

He makes a fine rifle kit, very fine, that by ALL accounts is a snap to finish. A bumbling idiot may have trouble, but a modest knowledge of tools and finishing will make a show piece to be proud of. Kibler is well researched and knows the history of what he builds very well. He will bend over backwards to rectify an issue with one of his kits. Even to the point of replacing a barrel, or even a stock without an argument. Kibler customer service is second to none in the industry.

All that said, I'm fine without ever meeting him in person, because he is an arrogant dick.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CNC is the reason.

A. That he builds such a high quality kit at a price point that allows entry. Obviously.

B. Why he won’t make a lefty.
Hand building one, a lefty is backwards,
but doable.
CNC would require re-engineering almost every
Lock part except maybe the frizzen, thimbles and butt plate.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
CNC is the reason.

A. That he builds such a high quality kit at a price point that allows entry. Obviously.

B. Why he won’t make a lefty.
Hand building one, a lefty is backwards,
but doable.
CNC would require re-engineering almost every
Lock part except maybe the frizzen, thimbles and butt plate.

L&R (for example) offers many left hand versions of their locks, so it's hardly too hard for a company like Kibler.

CNC machines build mirror images of parts every day all around the globe. It's a matter of programming, not re-engineering.

S
S
I have a Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle Jims kits are a great way to start .

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I vote for Kibler, unless you are handy and patient. Most other kits are parts packages and require a considerable amount of time, skill, and patience. Killers are CNC machines and go together with minimal work until you get to wood and metal finish. And you can’t find a better company to do business with. Jim has great customer service. I ran in to one problem, called them, and was transferred to Jim Kibler himself.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Built a Track of the Wolf parts set Issac Haines about 12 years ago. Took quite a lot of fitting. It and Chambers kits were top of the line in their day but have been surpassed by Kibler. Friend put his Kibler together and was able to shoot in less than 3 hours. Wood and metal not finished of course.

It doesn't matter how fast you miss.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Wow i think i am going to look at Kibler too.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (160user, 16penny, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 54 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,637
Posts18,474,408
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.