Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I had open heart 3 springs ago. Aortic and mitrial(sp?) valve job and a maze procedure for afib. The doc was a good'un, and was able to repair the leaky valves without replacing them with pig valves. The idea of being on anti-rejection drugs the rest of my life didn't much appeal to me, so I was a happy little camper when he was able to fix mine up. The maze procedure only kept the afib away for a year and then I had to go back in for an ablation. Been good since, but can't handle elevation much since that deal. Went up elk hunting the last 2 years but had to cut both of the trips short because of my ticker. Do what the docs say and don't be like me and push your recovery. I kept pushing and it really set me back. Thought I was doing good and unloaded a truck of feed, and broke it loose the first time. And then again opening a frozen barn door only to delay the heal a couple more months. If they want you to walk right after surgery tho, be tough and walk farther and more than they want so you can get home quicker. It'll hurt like a sumbish, but don't cave to the painkillers. Them things are bad fugging news on your brain.

You got this, cowboy......buck up

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Praying and hoping for the best.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had mine done 4 years ago, not fun, but you will get though it. You'll do well, waiting is the hardest part. Prayers and good luck! Hug the pillow when you cough!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
This event will make a good story for you to tell for years to come.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hi Angus55, you are lucky they found out that you have that issue and can repair it!

My father suffered a Ruptured Aortic aneurysm. He was at his friend's home and told him to drive him to the hospital immediately because he didn't feel well, the hospital was 5 minutes away and is known as the best hospital for heart surgery where we are from.

By the time his friend got to the hospital, he was dead in the car and they brought him back to life approximately 10 minutes after he was clinically dead. After the surgery he died again, and they revived him again for a second time. My father was ONE TOUGH HOMBRE, and he lived for an additional 16 years after that experience.

I wish you all the best and know you will be ok!

Prayers sent from me for a successful surgery with a complete recovery!

Last edited by KillerBee; 02/25/24.

KB

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
D
Prayers for a successful surgery and speedy recovery! Just know it'll take a bit both mentally and physically, but you'll be better off in the long run. Push yourself in PT and you'll make it back quicker!

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Had the chest cracked open in 1977 at the age of 27, after being in ICU for a a week; too unstable to transport to a major hospital. They seem to have in down pat -nowadays. Of course, nothing ever goes right the first time around. Had a blowout during a time of blood shortage; had to get blood from my Dad and nurse’s husband. Sometime in the midst of all this, I had an out of body experience. I was floating up above my body on the table watching one of the techs stapling up my sternum. I felt pain and winced and heard the tech tell the anesthetist “Better gas him again, he’s coming to!” I also felt complete peace like I was floating in warm water and had a chance to go to the “light” and beyond. I couldn’t because I had a 9 year old son that needed me. Hard, very hard to go back to my body. The surgical team was amazed by my story. I came down with hiccups- not fun after having your chest split open and wired back together 2X (twisted wire still shows up on x-rays. Had them for over 24 hours. Finally tech on night shift suggested packets of granulated sugar. Went to the cafeteria rounded up 2 handfuls, and after 8-12. It worked ! Do the breathing treatments and PT. Just remember , hard to overcome bad genetics tho. History of heart problems on both sides of the family. I have outlived my 3 brothers by many years. My father died at 62 and my mother at 56. I turned 73 in September. Lots of it due to marrying well the second time. We are now evenly yorked( I became a Christian like her and because of her example). I chose a different lifestyle than my family. Hard living is hard on the body. You, nor your doctors know when your time is up. They can only give you odds like Las Vagas. Your days are numbered like the hairs on your head - the Bible. This life is not the end. You have a soul that will live forever- somewhere. You have a choice as to where.

Last edited by carrollco; 02/25/24.
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Prayers for a successful surgery and recovery.

A
Angus55 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I never thought about it until today when kids went back to their cities, had to teach two sons how to feed cattle and put out hay, and I’m making long list of stuff for them to do around here, spring time stuff we all do. I have one boy in Australia , that is coming for a month to help build fence, I wouldn’t do this every day, but at least I’m getting help now,, lol , worried about the old man I guess 🤠

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Listen to your Docs and Nurses. The first couple days SUCK. Don't be afraid to request pain meds. We do open hearts at my hospital and for 3 years I was on the "recovery team". Our patients come direct from OR to ICU. Get moving as soon as you are physically capable. Your whole body will be sore the first few days, but per a couple hundred folks I've taken care of, each time getting out of bed got easier

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The surgery will be fine, it's the 72 hours after.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Praying for the best possible outcome. Stay strong mentally and ask the Holy Spirit for peace and guidance to get you through this trial. It will be in your rear view mirror before long!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by rost495
Not me. But dad. He said don't put it off. Do it the next day if they let you.

Beyond just hang on. It gets better after its all fixed. Slow ride for the most part but it gets better in 6 months according to him.

Would depend on your age. And lots of other factors.

Pretty dang safe surgeries these days though. That part wouldn't worry about. In the 70s when dad had his first it was a bit iffy.

Prayers. Thats the best advice I can offer. Be sure you know where you are going when you die and are happy with that. Rock on.

Prayers from this end for sure.

I agree with Jeff.

Prayers sent, God bless and may the Docs have good success with fixing your plumbing.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by carrollco
Had the chest cracked open in 1977 at the age of 27, after being in ICU for a a week; too unstable to transport to a major hospital. They seem to have in down pat -nowadays. Of course, nothing ever goes right the first time around. Had a blowout during a time of blood shortage; had to get blood from my Dad and nurse’s husband. Sometime in the midst of all this, I had an out of body experience. I was floating up above my body on the table watching one of the techs stapling up my sternum. I felt pain and winced and heard the tech tell the anesthetist “Better gas him again, he’s coming to!” I also felt complete peace like I was floating in warm water and had a chance to go to the “light” and beyond. I couldn’t because I had a 9 year old son that needed me. Hard, very hard to go back to my body. The surgical team was amazed by my story. I came down with hiccups- not fun after having your chest split open and wired back together 2X (twisted wire still shows up on x-rays. Had them for over 24 hours. Finally tech on night shift suggested packets of granulated sugar. Went to the cafeteria rounded up 2 handfuls, and after 8-12. It worked ! Do the breathing treatments and PT. Just remember , hard to overcome bad genetics tho. History of heart problems on both sides of the family. I have outlived my 3 brothers by many years. My father died at 62 and my mother at 56. I turned 73 in September. Lots of it due to marrying well the second time. We are now evenly yorked( I became a Christian like her and because of her example). I chose a different lifestyle than my family. Hard living is hard on the body. You, nor your doctors know when your time is up. They can only give you odds like Las Vagas. Your days are numbered like the hairs on your head - the Bible. This life is not the end. You have a soul that will live forever- somewhere. You have a choice as to where.

Dang, Wabi ain't got many hairs on his head. shocked

PTL you made it. Nothing is better for the heart than a good Christian woman and a lot of loving. Cuts down immensely on the prostate cancer risk also. grin

Last edited by jaguartx; 02/25/24.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dude,

best wishes from here.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I forgot to mention, if you have a hairy chest it would be in your best interest to shave it clean before you go to the hospital. You can thank me later. 🤭 Also, if your significant other is going to be there you might want to consider that some one else be there for moral support. In my case my wife was a phlebotomist for over twenty years, spent time in the ER and OR drawing blood from people in various stages of a medical crisis. Anyways the hospital waiting room had a large tv screen in it that showed where each patient was in their surgical process. No names were used, the nurse showed the family members which patient to watch. Even with my wife's experiences she lost it when the monitor showed that I was on the pump. She knew that my heart was stopped.

A
Angus55 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Hahaha, I was told by a old guy at local gun store, he’s 80 and a hell of a man, he said get ready for the most demoralizing thing, he said they wheel you in under the bright’s butt naked, and shave you from neck to knees, with razor, every thing, then take sticky tape and pat every hair, then wash you, he said it’s freezing cold and nursing staff will be cracking jokes about how cold it is, Damn!!! I guess all you can do is wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is some good insight and advice in these posts, and much of it can be helpful. But then, every case is different and the experiences of others never match exactly - so emphasize the common denominators of successes. Remain calm confident and strong going in; do all of the recovery exercises as demonstrated, and regularly; take the meds, liquids and food as directed; don't be afraid to push yourself a little bit extra in the aftermath if you feel like doing so.

You are in my prayers.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
My very best wishes to you Sir! I’ve had my chest cracked open twice-at 55 and again at 70. Both procedures were to take care of clogged arteries. Please do the cardiac rehab prescribed by the doctors. It’ll make your life better. Looking forward to hearing from you.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
If you have a chance, develop a connection with your nurse. They will guide you through the procedure if you ask for their recommendations. Worked for me fifteen years ago and might work for you. Best wishes for a great outcome. Positive thoughts on your part are huge, IMO.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

737 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10ring1, 75 invisible), 2,925 guests, and 1,535 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,737
Posts18,475,977
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.