Print Thread
Hop To
A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Use this thread to report "ALASKA" spring bear observations. We have just had 11 days of strangely "hot" weather for February. Generally March 10'th or 12'th is my earlest sighting. Strange weather this 23'/24' winter.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Hey AGL how are you wintering?.mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Hey AGL how are you wintering?.mb

Fairly well for a 77 y/o man.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Don’t let the old man in!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bears have killed some one in Alaska every month of the year. About the same on the Kenai. So......

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Have seen bears every month of the year. Was calling yotes and had a black bear come in February 12 th. one year. Probably in "88" or "89." Was running Barns bronze solids out of the 22.250. Being 5 miles in, I decided not to kill it. Temp was 30 plus degrees. It had been 51deg 3 days prior.

First brown 🐻 Interaction (according to my journal) was on a 7th. of March. Was sitting on a moose winter kill Ravens and Magpies had led me to. Same 22.250 and ammo. Backed out the 200 yards to my crummy and grabbed the .338. Bear was gone. Set there for 2 more hours and no return. Took a yote off the site 2 days later with a 200 grain round nose out of the 30.06. Never saw sign of the brown 🐻 again.
When out now (going on Thursday) the 5.56 is ready for yotes or a wolf. Will be packing the 480 on my chest😉

You're on the right path in thinking there might be sightings. Prolly start seeing sightings posted here by the first 10 days in March... possibably sooner.

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
Have seen bears every month of the year. Was calling yotes and had a black bear come in February 12 th. one year. Probably in "88" or "89." Was running Barns bronze solids out of the 22.250. Being 5 miles in, I decided not to kill it. Temp was 30 plus degrees. It had been 51deg 3 days prior.

First brown 🐻 Interaction (according to my journal) was on a 7th. of March. Was sitting on a moose winter kill Ravens and Magpies had led me to. Same 22.250 and ammo. Backed out the 200 yards to my crummy and grabbed the .338. Bear was gone. Set there for 2 more hours and no return. Took a yote off the site 2 days later with a 200 grain round nose out of the 30.06. Never saw sign of the brown 🐻 again.
When out now (going on Thursday) the 5.56 is ready for yotes or a wolf. Will be packing the 480 on my chest😉

You're on the right path in thinking there might be sightings. Prolly start seeing sightings posted here by the first 10 days in March... possibably sooner.
With this little stretch of warm winds there is a lot of bear fur getting wet right now...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yep. Wouldn't be surprised if a blackie or two are close to being dug out out of their dens by mister Ursula arctos anytime now. They will be pizzy old boars certainly...

*** my Grandaughters

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
If it gets cold again and the snow crusts over well, I need to go out yondering. Definately I'll take a rifle! This time and every time since:

Years ago I did not, just the Dachshund and Lab. Came on a brown bear tossing one complete set of moose rear leg-bones around, like a big dog playing with a stick, out on a small lake ice, 500-600 yards off. It would shake it, toss it in the air and catch it, or toss it as far away as it could, then pounce on it. Watched it for a few minutes thru binocs. Backing off, the Wiener didn't want to go back, and barked at me, and here came the bear, but veered off at about 200 yards to guard it's moose winter kill carcass off to my right 150 yards or so. I'd found that cow a week or two before, and forgotten it was there.

I hoped the Lab and I could run faster than that Wiener dog. Another erroneous assumption at the time. smile

"Deep Survival" , summarized:..... "that chit can kill you!"

Last edited by las; 02/21/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
😎😂👍 (no words...)

*** my Grandaughters

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by las
If it gets cold again and the snow crusts over well, I need to go out yondering. Definately I'll take a rifle! This time and every time since:

Years ago I did not, just the Dachshund and Lab. Came on a brown bear tossing one complete set of moose rear leg-bones around, like a big dog playing with a stick, out on a small lake ice, 500-600 yards off. It would shake it, toss it in the air and catch it, or toss it as far away as it could, then pounce on it. Watched it for a few minutes thru binocs. Backing off, the Wiener didn't want to go back, and barked at me, and here came the bear, but veered off at about 200 yards to guard it's moose winter kill carcass off to my right 150 yards or so. I'd found that cow a week or two before, and forgotten it was there.

I hoped the Lab and I could run faster than that Wiener dog. Another erroneous assumption at the time. smile

"Deep Survival" , summarized:..... "that chit can kill you!"
Well….you can always throw the binocs!!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
This is the earliest you’ve posted your yearly BEARS OUT thread in 15 years.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by SeldomSeenSmith
Finally ahead of the game for once. We should all strive for that.

Of course when Delta hits +45 one starts to wonder what the weather is going to do this spring.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495

Of course when Delta hits +45 one starts to wonder what the weather is going to do this spring.

Especially when it was -62F the week before.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by VernAK
Originally Posted by rost495

Especially when it was -62F the week before.
Thats no joke. And then snowed so hard couldn't see the tree line... and dropped back below zero..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (2003and2013, 257 mag, 257Bob, 257_X_50, 160user, 163bc, 63 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,787
Posts18,477,248
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.