Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Have a Sauer 101 for a couple yrs now that has some nice grain and burl in the stock. I can live with it the way it is but I don't like the glossy finish that I'm assuming is a sprayed on epoxy or acrylic. Also hard to see in any picture but plenty of open grain in the wood. Thinking of stripping the finish off and wet sanding to close up the grains and giving it a hand rubbed oil finish.

But nice enough rifle as factory, maybe I should let my hands off of it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Had a real shiny Browning like that, with the thick urethane finish….had it redone with an oil finish and it was much nicer…. You won’t regret it.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Don’t touch it

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TimZ
Had a real shiny Browning like that, with the thick urethane finish….had it redone with an oil finish and it was much nicer…. You won’t regret it.
My brother has a Browning Safari that has really pretty wood but the heavy urethane finish was cracked and some of the sharp edges like on the cheek piece were dinged. I stripped it and rounded off some of the sharp edges and gave it a nice satin finish and it looks much better. A fun rewarding project.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Don't know if I'd do anything with that finish but on a Remington BDL I had with that shiny bowling ball finish got worked on. Gave it a light rub down with 0000 steel wool, just enough to break the sheen and now it looks more like an oil finish. A light application with Pledge about once a year keeps it looking nice.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Don't know if I'd do anything with that finish but on a Remington BDL I had with that shiny bowling ball finish got worked on. Gave it a light rub down with 0000 steel wool, just enough to break the sheen and now it looks more like an oil finish. A light application with Pledge about once a year keeps it looking nice.
PJ

Yeah I was thinking that route also, but don't know if I'd be able to stop at that. But, I could always knock off that gloss which is easy enough to do and see how I like it.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Grey Scotch-brite pad with paste wax is your friend when taking the shine off of a high gloss finish. Use a light touch and follow with a micrfiber cloth to remove the wax left behind. Steel wool will leave metal slivers embedded in the finish which will later rust.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Rottenstone for me.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
You can probably knock it down to a satin finish with some pumice powder or rottenstone powder and a damp cotton pad.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Knock it back and leave it.

That finish is way better than oil on a hunting gun.

Yep.
He said it.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you can knock down the finish to reduce the gloss before refinishing completely it might save you some time. The wood and finish look pretty good besides the gloss . The worst that would happen is you would need to strip and refinish after.

You could knock down the finish a number of ways. If it were me, I would use a gray 3M pad and knock down the gloss finish to a point it would be a completely dull looking outer surface. Then you sand with 1000/2000 grit wet/dry paper to bring it back to a smooth surface, then polish it to a relative gloss with an automotive polish and a soft cloth. Once you get it to the gloss you're happy with, put on a couple coats of good wax like Rennaissance Wax of Johnson wax and buff ....

You can also do this with rottenstone to start off and will probably get about the same results if you know how to use the stones for finishing ....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Rub it with 4F pumice on a dampened felt pad.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
80 grit and spray paint. Hint………..

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
I’d leave it as it is

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Yeah I’d leave it alone too

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would leave it alone. Why do you not like gloss?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
PJ

That's the way you do it...money for nuthin' and chicks for free.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sheister
If you can knock down the finish to reduce the gloss before refinishing completely it might save you some time. The wood and finish look pretty good besides the gloss . The worst that would happen is you would need to strip and refinish after.

You could knock down the finish a number of ways. If it were me, I would use a gray 3M pad and knock down the gloss finish to a point it would be a completely dull looking outer surface. Then you sand with 1000/2000 grit wet/dry paper to bring it back to a smooth surface, then polish it to a relative gloss with an automotive polish and a soft cloth. Once you get it to the gloss you're happy with, put on a couple coats of good wax like Rennaissance Wax of Johnson wax and buff ....

You can also do this with rottenstone to start off and will probably get about the same results if you know how to use the stones for finishing ....

I agree with this. I've seen some of your stocks, so I know you know what you are talking about. Something else I've used to knock down the shine is Birchwood Casey's stock sheen and conditioner. Then like you say, hit it with a couple coats of Johnson's paste wax.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Stock looks great to me. I wouldn't try to dull it.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Leave it alone

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've used 0000 steel wool wet with your choice of oil finish. Go slow, then buff with a soft cloth. Don't like it, do it again.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I actually shoot and am not into fhuqking around. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Just sayin'........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Knock it back or leave it, but assuming the interior is well sealed, nothing else will weatherproof it better than those shiny poly finishes. If you ever sell it, the raccoons will hate you for removing the shine.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't pffuck with it

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
TAG

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
What Gunswizard said about the "light touch" but much emphasis on the light - you don't want to buff the wax but wipe it off with a rag followed by a soft rub with a piece of cotton flannel. If not you'll end with another gloss finish.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Seems the majority consensus is to leave it be. Pappy seems to be suggesting if I go to sell it people will not like that it's not original. Hadn't really considered that on a modern rifle.

Here's another picture showing the full rifle. It's pretty glossy.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
After seeing the entire rifle, my position —> leave it alone, is even greater.

Beauty of a gun

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd not touch it.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters
After seeing the entire rifle, my position —> leave it alone, is even greater.

Beauty of a gun

Thank You. It's been a shooter. They generally run pretty good money, more than I'd want to pay. This one was listed as used since it was used for demo's and displays at shows. I'm assuming because of the wood, I personally hadn't seen a 101 before with that kind of wood on it. Fall of 2021 they were running a clearance on different guns and this was one of them. Under $900 I couldn't resist. Haven't been sorry as it shoots very well, just not a fan of glossy stocks.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You only go around this world one time. If you like it and think you'll use it, then make it the way you want.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by beretzs
You only go around this world one time. If you like it and think you'll use it, then make it the way you want.

True enough. I can live with it either way, but would prefer without the gloss. If it was my one and only carry rifle from here on out, it would be exactly how I'd want it without a second thought.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sounds like you answered it to me! To hell with the collectors. Let the folks complain about it on here when you're gone.

We see 100's of butchered P64's I complain about, but the owners liked them when they had em.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by beretzs
Sounds like you answered it to me! To hell with the collectors. Let the folks complain about it on here when you're gone.

We see 100's of butchered P64's I complain about, but the owners liked them when they had em.

Haha. True!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Your rifle, do with it as you wish.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
While I prefer a less glossy stock finish I would probably leave that alone if it were mine. If a stock needs refinishing, that’s one thing. This doesn’t. You’ve got some nice checkering on there, pretty fine by the looks of it. I’m not sure how you’d handle that and if you leave the checkering alone and dull the rest it might look weird.

Also, these high tech polymer finishes are made to be durable and, without actually going after it, there’s no telling how it might respond to some of the methods suggested. As Pappy mentioned too, from a practical standpoint there’s no better way to keep a wooden stock sealed than these modern finishes.

As I said, I prefer a soft oil finished stock, but if I can live with some of the synthetic stocks I’ve got in my accumulation, I can (and do) live with nice wooden stocks with shiny finishes. Variety is the spice of life..no?

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Refinish what? Hands off!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Are you going to hunt it or display it? As a rifle on the used gun rack, it will sell better if you leave it box stock and shiny. As a hunting rifle be prepared to spook game if you are hunting in sunlight. I put a very nice buck into launch mode with my then new Remington BDL and that bowling ball RKW ultra shiny finish. Have a buddy take it a ways away and move it around when they are standing in the sunlight and you'll have your answer. That BDL of mine now has a Brown Precision replacement stock and the entire rifle is camo painted. Beauty is as beauty does. Problem solved.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I too would leave the finish intact but dull the gloss by rubbing it out, then wax it. Can't beat a barrier finish like that for weather protection. Stripping and refinishing with oil would look like a million bucks but for me would then be relegated to occasional "sunny range day use" and showing off to my buddies - it would suck as an all-around/any weather hunting rifle at that point.

As for the earlier comment about hitting it with Pledge, that would be about the last thing I would put on a gunstock, or any other piece of fine wood for that matter. Its effect is ephemeral and does nothing in the way of true protection such that paste wax delivers. It's the darling of unwitting housewives and housekeepers and that's about the extent of it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
G
I personally don’t care for the glossy f ish and would either strip and refinish or at least knock it down some. It’s your rifle and you should be happy with it. If you think toning down the gloss would affect the resale, that only matters if you’re planning on selling it! And, if you’re planning on selling, go ahead and do that and get what you really want.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
PJ
This ^^

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Your gun your soap. Do as you wish.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Don’t touch it
I won't do it too. looks nice enough.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

676 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 22250rem, 160user, 06hunter59, 204guy, 70 invisible), 2,695 guests, and 1,500 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,610
Posts18,492,474
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.