Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My wife prefers Durango, while I prefer Salida for a retirement location. Both surely have their pluses and minuses, if you live near either place, please share your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have you looked at Gunnison I lived there for 4 summers nice town. Crested Butte is close by also Montrose. Blue Mesa is good fishing. Check it out

B
B
Both will get slammed with tourists, Salida more so. CO is not the state I would retire in anymore. I would be looking at MT, WY, AZ, ID.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don’t think you could go wrong retiring in either Durango or Salida. Both locations are in close proximity to a lotta great country, and not just in Colorado. I spend a lotta time climbing and hiking all over the state, and either of those two locations are areas I could finish it out in.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I spent about a decade in Colorado back in the 70’s and 80’s, ranching and oil field work between Walden, Grand Junction, and Greeley. It was a great state back then, pretty red and not full of crazies. I don’t want any of my tax dollars going to that state and supporting their craziness ever again. It’s a beautiful state but not for me.

Having said that….Durango would be my pick of your two choices. However, the Delores country always intrigued me.

Black Cows Matter!
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Gawd....what in the fugg for?

You could move a tick further north and it wouldn't be gayer'n aids.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Riverc
Have you looked at Gunnison I lived there for 4 summers nice town. Crested Butte is close by also Montrose. Blue Mesa is good fishing. Check it out

This ^^^^ kinda

Never lived there, but until recently had family there
Montrose woulda been my choice 30 or more years ago

Might think about Paonia or Cedaredge today

"Chances Will Be Taken"

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Durango used to be a great place. Now, not so much. Local college is full of the worst you can find and the main street is polluted with libtards that believe you are the problem they have been searching for. I love Colorado, have lived here for 53 years. If you are looking to retire here, look at California and decide if that is the future you are happy with. If not, look at Utah, Montana (eastern California) or perhaps New Mexico. If you are happy with the idea of Colorado being California, GFY.

"What's the point of being retired if you can't climb trees and wash your feet in the creek?" - Teal
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Durango, With out a doubt is the nicer of the two towns, much cleaner and not as uptight Liberal as Salida, Durango and surrounding area is growing fast and costs are also.over all Colorado has turned into a Communist State sad to see. Rio7

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

or migrant friendly, or anti 2A, or tax hell, or controlled by one city full of liberal twats, or gayer'n aids

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks to everyone who has responded, please keep 'em coming.

It will come down to CO or NH/VT because those are the only states where my wife will consider living when she decides to retire.

I like Delores too, but have concerns that with global warming, water could become an issue in the Cortez, Mancos, Delores area.

Salida would be more convenient for me, as I could drive to do the on-site inspections of our rental units in Breckenridge and at Copper Mountain in around 90 minutes each way.

I'd like to locate where there is a ski area within 45 minutes, so that I could ski every day that I wanted to during the season. Gunnison has Crested Butte, Salida has Monarch, Durango has Purgatory, and there are dozens of town in NH/VT that meet that criteria.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I offer this as a frequent CO visitor as opposed to a local. It really depends upon what is important to the two of you. Make a list of what matters most to you and see how each locale measures up. Durango has quite a bit more public land immediately surrounding it. It's a larger town with better medical care options. I can't really quantify it, but Durango has a better vibe to me. More of an old western feel than a hippie feel. Salida wins on access to the major metropolitan areas and the airports. The climates are similar.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
I hunt with a bunch of guys born and raised in Durango, 30 years ago I would have retired there but now it has changed so much.

Ted
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by UltraMAGA

or migrant friendly, or anti 2A, or tax hell, or controlled by one city full of liberal twats, or gayer'n aids

They're right you know. It wasn't always like that though, when we moved here we had a republican as governor.

So if you move to Montana right now, you'll be able to say you got there before they had democrat governors and senators and such.

Oh, wait a minute......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Neither. I have lived here 50 years.
I'd leave in a minute if I wasn't so old and gimped up.
Gov. Polis is doing to Colorado what Biden is doing to the U.S.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore
That's a shame I truly liked the town of Gunnison and other parts of Colorado.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a cousin who lives in Grand Junction. I really like the area and I enjoy my visits there. I know there are small towns in the area and I would look at one of them.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by UltraMAGA

They're right you know. It wasn't always like that though, when we moved here we had a republican as governor.

So if you move to Montana right now, you'll be able to say you got there before they had democrat governors and senators and such.

Oh, wait a minute......

Jiminy Christmas.

A tick further north is Wyoming.

I am MAGA.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by saddlesore
The guy is worried about how global warming will affect the water situation. I imagine polis is creating the op's version of utopia.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by kwg020
I have a cousin who lives in Grand Junction. I really like the area and I enjoy my visits there. I know there are small towns in the area and I would look at one of them.

kwg

Palisade is where I’ve lived for the last 35 years. I’ve been in Western Colorado for 40 years and grew up in Eastern Colorado. If my Wife would let me I’d head to Meeker. My Wife’s a Palisade Girl and isn’t moving.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1beaver_shooter, 260Remguy, 160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 53 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,443
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.