Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Take a look at Bayfield just east of Durango. Nice area.

GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I hope your pockets are deep because both places are very expensive to live in!

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dassa
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I'd like to put up a greenhouse for flowers and vegetables, no interest in growing, smoking, or eating anything with THC in it.

Wife has expressed some interest in 478 Kiva Road in Durango. That property abuts the Animas River, so there would never any problem pumping water to irrigate a lawn, garden, or greenhouse. You guys do realize that I'm going to be 69 in a month, so quality healthcare that is both competent and close by is getting more important every year.
=
I like Durango, but it would take longer for me to drive from Durango to Breck/Copper than it currently takes me to fly from Omaha to Denver, ride a van from Denver to Breck, and get the Tribeca off the battery tender and out of the garage. For some reason, it would be cheaper for me to buy tickets for Durango to Vail with a stop over in Denver than it would to buy tickets from Durango to Denver. If I did that, I guess that I could just not use the Denver-Vail and Vail-Denver portion of the ticket. The La Plata County Sheriff seems to be FFL friendly, no problem transferring my FFL to an address in La Plata County, so that's a good thing.

Ummm, you don't get water rights by moving in next to the river.

Ummm, if you want to check it out, call Jeff Titus, the District 30 Water and Well Commissioner at 970-739-6520. He told me that I could pump water from the Animas for personal use on this specific property without having water rights, but if I wanted to get water rights, I could do so and it would be automatic or nearly automatic. I try to do my homework before posting stuff online, 'cause there is already too much misinformation on the 'net without me adding to it.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Pump water from a river in Colorado without a water right???? Every river is over appropriated. Every downstream water right holder would file opposition to such an action.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Your water right would be junior to everyone before you and never in priority

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Having lived in the mountains in Colorado for most of my life and having a business in water, Salida is definitely out. The Arkansas River is mostly owned by Kansas and if your dog drinks from the river, there is a water commissioner watching till your dog returns it to the river. Every time I used the bathroom, I flush twice just so Kansas gets their share.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Palisade is where I’ve lived for the last 35 years. I’ve been in Western Colorado for 40 years and grew up in Eastern Colorado. If my Wife would let me I’d head to Meeker. My Wife’s a Palisade Girl and isn’t moving.

Two great locations, but for different reasons.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I'd like to put up a greenhouse for flowers and vegetables, no interest in growing, smoking, or eating anything with THC in it.

Wife has expressed some interest in 478 Kiva Road in Durango. That property abuts the Animas River, so there would never any problem pumping water to irrigate a lawn, garden, or greenhouse. You guys do realize that I'm going to be 69 in a month, so quality healthcare that is both competent and close by is getting more important every year.
=
I like Durango, but it would take longer for me to drive from Durango to Breck/Copper than it currently takes me to fly from Omaha to Denver, ride a van from Denver to Breck, and get the Tribeca off the battery tender and out of the garage. For some reason, it would be cheaper for me to buy tickets for Durango to Vail with a stop over in Denver than it would to buy tickets from Durango to Denver. If I did that, I guess that I could just not use the Denver-Vail and Vail-Denver portion of the ticket. The La Plata County Sheriff seems to be FFL friendly, no problem transferring my FFL to an address in La Plata County, so that's a good thing.

Ummm, if you want to check it out, call Jeff Titus, the District 30 Water and Well Commissioner at 970-739-6520. He told me that I could pump water from the Animas for personal use on this specific property without having water rights, but if I wanted to get water rights, I could do so and it would be automatic or nearly automatic. I try to do my homework before posting stuff online, 'cause there is already too much misinformation on the 'net without me adding to it.
So, you're worried about water issues because of global warming, but ol Jeff says go ahead and just pump water out if the river. Cause none of that water is spoken for by any of those people downstream.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Jeff also owns the local franchise for Keller Williams Real Estate.....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Interesting dilemma and discussion at minimum. You sound healthy and active BUT things can change fast at your age going forward, too! I'd be thinking about things like snow removal, travel safety(ie. two lane roads in the winter, etc!), health care (as you've noted), and overall climate looking 10-15 years into the future which most of us overlook!

I'd consider along the western I70 corridor around Grand Junction or its outskirts depending on how "urban" vs "suburban" vs "rural" you want to be. Vineyards and orchards there (climate). Fishing, hunting, Colorado River, Amtrak east or west, close to SE Utah's Natl. Parks/Moab, close to Uncompaghre Plateau, Montrose/San Juans, local skiing on the "plateau" minutes east, I70 relatively easy/safe drive to Copper Mtn., St. Mary's Regional Hospital, Airport right there with easy connections through Denver... a retiree could do a lot worse in Colorado! I have not been through there in awhile but I would be shocked if the population in the valley is not 150,000-200,000.

Your "water" access comments about the Durango area really surprise me and I am suspect to say the least. Water has become the new "gold" out in the dry West. Rapid development and growth of a limited resource combined with recent droughts have brought this to the forefront and the fights with municipalities/ranchers/farmers/ and .gov are going on and will get worse! Add "corporations" and foreign governments to the list! I am not sure sometimes which will be threatened first... water rights/use/access or our firearms!

As an aside, if you relocate to Colo., you might have to divest yourself of your beloved Savages... despite Colorado's politics it is still Winchester country! They might compromise with a few Remingtons or customs!!!

Sounds like a "midwest" location closer to Colorado is out of a question? North Platte, etc. I sure love pheasants and whitetails, too! IMHO, as I have watched the West really change (other than scenery which is certainly a part of the equation) over the last 30+ years, I think the "non-urban" Midwest will be one of the last areas the Country where one can really still easily pursue a "traditional" American lifestyle (including outdoor activities like hunting and fishing) many have been accustomed to. Understandably, Alaskans and many in the SE will disagree... many factors to consider...

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
living in the area you better enjoy tourist. We are ass deep in them. They have completely destroyed our little towns and way of life. Add that to the fact Colorado politics have gone more liberal than California thanks to all the newcomers. If I had a choice, I would bail out of my home state.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Some of you guys could use a reading comprehension tutor.

He's only moving where his wife "allows" him to live...

He's worried about global warming and he's friggen 70 years old...

And he's just gonna pump whatever his water needs out of the animas within civilisation where you'd have to fill a water glass at night to get away with it. Based on one phone call in a place where if you think you understand CO water law you haven't read enough, and where 15 water lawyers will give you 22 legal opinions to answer your question.

This guy likely already has the pro wolf bumper sticker on his Subaru Outback. He's moving here to experience the utopia, just without the weed...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
living in the area you better enjoy tourist. We are ass deep in them. They have completely destroyed our little towns and way of life. Add that to the fact Colorado politics have gone more liberal than California thanks to all the newcomers. If I had a choice, I would bail out of my home state.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Originally Posted by kwg020
I have a cousin who lives in Grand Junction. I really like the area and I enjoy my visits there. I know there are small towns in the area and I would look at one of them.

kwg

Palisade is where I’ve lived for the last 35 years. I’ve been in Western Colorado for 40 years and grew up in Eastern Colorado. If my Wife would let me I’d head to Meeker. My Wife’s a Palisade Girl and isn’t moving.

I looked at retiring in Fruita-Palisade or Paonia or even Glenwood. My daughter is in Palisade now and I like visiting there. Gunnison was a favorite for years because of the fishing, and Meeker because of the hunting, fishing, and small town vibe.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
What about Buena Vista?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Plumdog
What about Buena Vista?

Far worse. Buena Vista made Outdoor Magazines top place to visit a few years ago. Oh my god. Prior to that after 6pm you could shoot a shotgun down main street and not hit a car or person. At 8 pm I drove down Buena Vistas main street and could not find a parking place. Up to 15 people waiting to cross the street. This was not even tourist season. Houses now are going in excess of 1 million dollars. Oldtimers, I know there refuse to leave their houses. Going to the grocery stores is known as combat shopping.

Last edited by stuvwxyz; 02/26/24.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
What about Buena Vista?
Another good choice. You could just pump water straight out of the Arkansas. If you bought the right house.

G
G23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
Having lived in the mountains in Colorado for most of my life and having a business in water, Salida is definitely out. The Arkansas River is mostly owned by Kansas and if your dog drinks from the river, there is a water commissioner watching till your dog returns it to the river. Every time I used the bathroom, I flush twice just so Kansas gets their share.

Could you flush 3 times? Last year was pretty dry.

G23

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
What about Buena Vista?

Far worse. Buena Vista made Outdoor Magazines top place to visit a few years ago. Oh my god. Prior to that after 6pm you could shoot a shotgun down main street and not hit a car or person. At 8 pm I drove down Buena Vistas main street and could not find a parking place. Up to 15 people waiting to cross the street. This was not even tourist season. Houses now are going in excess of 1 million dollars. Oldtimers, I know there refuse to leave their houses. Going to the grocery stores is known as combat shopping.

You just described Moab to a Tee. 15 years ago when not in tourist season it was a nice town, but not anymore.

B
B

=

You might want to get that in writing...Is there a water right that runs with the property? Otherwise, no way in hell you can do that.

I'll ask the GF to confirm. she does water rights for private property owners on the West Slope. In and out of water court on the reg.

Otherwise, getting "water rights" is going to run you hundreds of thousands of dollars lmao.

Last edited by BallotBoxBiology; 02/26/24.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,684
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.