Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ChrisF
That auction rifle is similar to yours. Assembled by SA Inc. But with Italian parts instead of SA parts. Not sure what you're angling toward...a value? The Italians are outside of my wheelhouse and I shared the little I know. You might tap Scott Duff for a better assessment.

The main thing in my book is that you're going to enjoy it for years to come.

There are two of them on Gunbroker right now exactly like mine, out of 400 made. Their description on this one is misleading, the only Italian part on it is the receiver, Every part on mine (other than the receiver) is marked SA. The barrel is brand new unfired non USGI from SA. As I said before I'm not worried about the value, just wanting to find out exactly what I've got. For some reason information is scarce, but little by little I'm gaining on it, and Yes I will try to call Springfield again today. My son finally found a few discussions online that clears it up a bit though. I'm not trying to start a pissing match or make it out to be something it's not, I've been a member here since 2010 and I like to think this place is a good source of knowledge on such things. This is an old post from another forum that my son sent me.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Brokenarrow; 02/21/24.

Your life is made up of two dates and a dash, Make the most of the dash.
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Brokenarrow
That auction rifle is similar to yours. Assembled by SA Inc. But with Italian parts instead of SA parts. Not sure what you're angling toward...a value? The Italians are outside of my wheelhouse and I shared the little I know. You might tap Scott Duff for a better assessment.

The main thing in my book is that you're going to enjoy it for years to come.

There are two of them on Gunbroker right now exactly like mine, out of 400 made. Their description on this one is misleading, the only Italian part on it is the receiver, Every part on mine (other than the receiver) is marked SA. The barrel is brand new unfired non USGI from SA. As I said before I'm not worried about the value, just wanting to find out exactly what I've got. For some reason information is scarce, but little by little I'm gaining on it, and Yes I will try to call Springfield again today. My son finally found a few discussions online that clears it up a bit though. I'm not trying to start a pissing match or make it out to be something it's not, I've been a member here since 2010 and I like to think this place is a good source of knowledge on such things. This is an old post from another forum that my son sent me.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Never heard of Garands with TRW parts.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is just my opinion...
I believe information is scarce because there's not much of a market for commercial Springfield Armory M1's as compared to Garands with military provenance such as from the CMP. Militaria collecting is a crazy thing. My collector friends will go crazy for a beat up garand with a serial number indicating WWII production and turn their nose up at a NIB Springfield Armory Inc Garand. It's about the history and the heritage.

I took a closer look at the Gunbroker SA Inc Italian you linked to. The seller has several Garands from Springfield Inc. NIB and "Special Editions". He's asking what I think is crazy money apparently based on perceived scarcity. His Breda's starting bid is $4500 which is getting in to the range of true collectibles like a documented National Match or an M1D. I suspect it will be there for a long time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Funny!...the Garand and the M14 had some parts commonality (ie sight and trigger parts). Maybe the poster was speaking to SA Inc grabbing whatever USGI parts they could find to build their Garand (including parts originally made for the M14).

As a shooter, I'd use whatever USGI parts I had and rock on. My collector friends would tear apart a trigger group to ensure their Garands were manufacturer and period correct. Never mind that the mixmaster group was tuned and sweet! Correctness trumped all for them.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
[quote=Craigster

Never heard of Garands with TRW parts.[/quote]

Me neither, On mine the trigger group, barrel, sights, op rod all have SA stamps. I did finally talk to a man at Springfield this morning, he gave me the date of manufacture (Oct. 2001) and the actual Springfield part number of my rifle. According to him a limited number of these were built and sold by them using virgin NOS Breda forged receivers and "mostly Springfield parts" and it is covered by the Springfield lifetime warranty. I asked how many were made, he said that he knew a few sources claimed 400 but he had no actual records on hand to confirm that. He also said, You have a very good rifle, shoot it and enjoy it.

IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I sure wish the one I saw at Sportsman's had been an '06.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Topmark Trading!

SD

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
An interesting article in Shooting Times written by our hero Mike V.

It does show these were available more recently than I had (mis)remembered.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/longgun_reviews_st_0302_springfield/100437

Springfield M1 Garand .308

Back in the June 2002 issue of Shooting Times I submitted a report on the Springfield M1 Garands. These rifles were based on newly manufactured receivers using original U.S. government specifications. Also newly manufactured were the barrels and stocks. The remaining internal parts were leftover originals from the various original suppliers of M1 Garand rifles such as Winchester, Springfield Armory, International Harvester, and Harrington & Richardson. I reported in that article that these M1 Garands were to be a special run of 10,000.

In the fall of 2002 I attended a seminar put on by Springfield Inc. where I learned many new facts. Two of which are of special interest to M1 Garand fans. First, the .30-06 version of newly manufactured M1 Garands has been so well received that Springfield Inc. is going to continue it as a catalog item. Second, the M1 Garand variation in .308 Winchester caliber is now a reality. During the seminar I was able to fire a sample M1 .308 at steel targets, and I requested that same rifle be sent to my home for more extensive shooting.

Follow the link for the rest of the article. It is of interest to this discussion.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
[quote=Idaho_Shooter]An interesting article in Shooting Times written by our hero Mike V.

It does show these were available more recently than I had (mis)remembered.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/longgun_reviews_st_0302_springfield/100437

[quote]

Thanks for sharing, I hadn't seen this article. As we can see from some of the comments here the grumpy old military collectors will turn up their nose at these rifles. I like old school stuff as much as anyone but I'm a shooter not a collector. So as a shooter, a new production M1 Garand 30-06 rifle built to original specs with a lifetime warranty, What's not to like? Besides that my wife bought it for me for our anniversary, (she also got me a new Springfield M1A for Christmas) You won't hear me complaining about it. grin

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Funny!...the Garand and the M14 had some parts commonality (ie sight and trigger parts). Maybe the poster was speaking to SA Inc grabbing whatever USGI parts they could find to build their Garand (including parts originally made for the M14).

As a shooter, I'd use whatever USGI parts I had and rock on. My collector friends would tear apart a trigger group to ensure their Garands were manufacturer and period correct. Never mind that the mixmaster group was tuned and sweet! Correctness trumped all for them.
It's my understanding that TRW made bolts for M14's. They are basically the same bolts as used by the M1 Garands. It's been a while but I thought that the CMP was using TRW bolts in some of their rebuilds and rack grades.

But, for the most part, the TRW parts were going on M14's.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kwg020

It's my understanding that TRW made bolts for M14's. They are basically the same bolts as used by the M1 Garands. It's been a while but I thought that the CMP was using TRW bolts in some of their rebuilds and rack grades.

kwg

Sorry...the M1 bolt is substantially different than the M14 bolt. The M1 bolt is longer, and the M14 bolt has a roller for a couple of differences. I know you know, but for the folks following along; TRW was one of the manufacturers of M14's and parts, but they were not one of the Garand Manufacturers.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg
where would you hear something like that?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (21, 12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 22kHornet, 222ND, 59 invisible), 2,660 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,382
Posts18,527,587
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.