Print Thread
Hop To
S
SS336 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
If you have some Wood Duck flank feathers that you can part with I would appreciate it.
Would like some for fly tying, gladly pay shipping.
PM with if you can spare any, thanks.

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Shoot, season is over here now. Remind me next Fall if you remember and I'll get you a bunch. My favorite duck to hunt

S
SS336 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
That would be great! Or take me with you, been a long time since I have been duck hunting.
I appreciate it and will try to remember to remind you. Thank you.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You bet! Having a very good third goose season now until March 10. Get your goose certification (free online test at ODFW) and send me a PM.

S
SS336 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
There’s a test?…….To hunt geese? I would have never guessed.
Downloaded the pdf and it is not a simple thing. Never hunted geese and to me a goose was a goose. Wow, not even close. My hat’s off to the goose hunters in Oregon.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Yeah. The test material is pretty informative and interesting, actually.
There is one protected species here in the valley: Dusky Canada. All the others are dinner.

It's been a while since I took it (and you only have to pass it once) but I believe there is an online study guide or mock-up test with all the material you'll need. As I recall you are allowed to take it three times in a row to pass, if necessary. Can take it with open notes, open computer, etc etc

Last edited by longarm; 02/20/24.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by SS336
If you have some Wood Duck flank feathers that you can part with I would appreciate it.
Would like some for fly tying, gladly pay shipping.
PM with if you can spare any, thanks.

I constantly supply my buddies with feathers for flies. We don't kill a lot of wood ducks, but a few every year. I'll try and get you some next year.

S
SS336 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
👍👍 thanks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by longarm
Yeah. The test material is pretty informative and interesting, actually.
There is one protected species here in the valley: Dusky Canada. All the others are dinner.

It's been a while since I took it (and you only have to pass it once) but I believe there is an online study guide or mock-up test with all the material you'll need. As I recall you are allowed to take it three times in a row to pass, if necessary. Can take it with open notes, open computer, etc etc
Funny thing in the history of duskies... the '64 earthquake settled some huge areas at the mouth of the Copper River just SE of Cordova and provided perfect nesting areas for duskies and they prospered. As river deltas are wont to do they are filling in those 60-year-old marshes giving predators a lot more access.

So the bad news is the center of the population is not as big as it once was. But the duskies are now the most common geese in Prince William Sound and in the Anchorage area. As a kid we never had local geese in the summer. Now they are a problem and the city spends a ton of money on repellant spray. Down around Cordova you can shoot them until the area limit of 40 per year is reached.

And the good news is, in the upper PWS there is no limit beyond the ordinary daily and possession limits. So I have to shake my head at the notion of Dusky hysteria along the coast. It has been a while since I shot a non-dusky AK goose.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Interesting stuff, thanks. The earthquake was covered in the test material, as I recall, but none of the rest of it

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1234, 75 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,772
Posts18,476,907
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.