Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I disagree with your suggestion for my purposes. They may fit your planned use however.

The enhancements incorporated into Lipsey’s UC version far outweigh the ballistic advantage of the 327. Added recoil over the 32 H&R Mag was not one of the things on my list.

However, to each his own. Go with the Ruger and enjoy, if that’s what you decide.

BTW I’m speaking from the perspective of owning, shooting and using a 340 PD loaded with 125 Speer GDHPs as a BUG and NY reload and a 329 PD camp gun I used when hunting bear in AK with Federal 300 grain hardcast FPs. For those specific purposes both of these work well for me, so recoil when appropriate is not an issue.

With Ted’s Lost River wadcutter ammo, the 32 H&R Mag UC is what I need now for specific uses. Thanks for your opinion though. It’s always great to hear diverse perspectives.

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 02/29/24. Reason: Added info

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
I disagree with your suggestion for my purposes. They may fit your planned use however.

The enhancements incorporated into Lipsey’s UC version far outweigh the ballistic advantage of the 327. Added recoil over the 32 H&R Mag was not one of the things on my list.

However, to each his own. Go with the Ruger and enjoy, if that’s what you decide.

BTW I’m speaking from the perspective of owning, shooting and using a 340 PD loaded with 125 Speer GDHPs as a BUG and NY reload and a 329 PD camp gun I used when hunting bear in AK with Federal 300 grain hardcast FPs. For those specific purposes both of these work well for me, so recoil when appropriate is not an issue.

With Ted’s Lost River wadcutter ammo, the 32 H&R Mag UC is what I need now for specific uses. Thanks for your opinion though. It’s always great to hear diverse perspectives.

I was approaching this from practical point of view. The PP .32 S&W Long 98gr load is cheaper to shoot then .38 Special. One does not need to shoot .327 Mags out of that revolver, Boomers shoot .38s out of S&W Model 13/19s all the time. I assume the only reason folks buy .357 Mag SC revolvers with Ti cylinders is because those will be easier to sell, if they decide to do so.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
No.

Some of us buy 357 Mag and 44 Mag revolvers because they’re lighter to carry and then we actually shoot that ammo - in the real world - even though we may mostly practice with 38 Spl and 44 Spl on the range. As you say, it’s cheaper, easier on the guns and the shooter, when used at higher volume.

Crazy idea, hah? Go figure!!

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

hardway Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
In a moment of weakness I clicked the “buy now” button and a brand new 340 pd is on the way…. We’ll see how she goes 👍🏻

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I personally prefer slightly more weight in a J frame so I like the 442's and 642's. I find more weight makes them a bit easier to shoot well. I'm sure the 340 will work well for you though.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I prefer the S&W 340 M&P but I really thing these new lipseys jframs are going to be awesome. I’ll buy all 4.
S.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Never shot the 340 but I do have a 442 and 642 I really like. Just the thing to drop in a coat pocket for a quick trip to the store or throw in a fishing vest or bag.
The good think about the new S&W 442 is that you can get it (at your option) without the key lock.

hardway Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Never shot the 340 but I do have a 442 and 642 I really like. Just the thing to drop in a coat pocket for a quick trip to the store or throw in a fishing vest or bag.
The good think about the new S&W 442 is that you can get it (at your option) without the key lock.

The 340 I just bought is no lock.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The best .38 J-frame is Model 638 Airweight. It allows higher gripping surface on backstrap affording greater control even when using rubber boot grip. Ability to take SA shots is a wonderful bonus of that design.

hardway Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Slavek
The best .38 J-frame is Model 638 Airweight. It allows higher gripping surface on backstrap affording greater control even when using rubber boot grip. Ability to take SA shots is a wonderful bonus of that design.

Go away…. You ignored the original post and have only offered info that was not asked for…. You’re standard M.O.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
tag

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Where can the 642UC from Lipsey's be purchased?
Are they still being produced?

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I have a fairly recently produced 442 that I like a lot. As you say, just an effective gun you can drop in a coat pocket.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hardway
Originally Posted by Slavek

Go away…. You ignored the original post and have only offered info that was not asked for…. You’re standard M.O.

Sorry I did not help, the correct suggestion to your question was Performance Center Model 642.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by kandpand
Where can the 642UC from Lipsey's be purchased?
Are they still being produced?

They are being produced and will continue to be made. They are being done in batches. Due to the tremendous popularity, they have been being snatched up quite quickly. The .32 H&Rs more so than the .38 Specials, due to the lighter recoil, higher capacity and deeper penetration by the better loads.

That said, I would just find a Lipsey's distributor and have them put you down for one. That is what pretty much everyone is doing. They are starting to show up in various shops now.

I have a 432 and have about 400 rounds through it of 100 grain Poly Coat wadcutters and it has been an outstanding little gun. Been carrying it as my every day "Always" gun, which for the last 2 decades has been a spot reserved for my old Smith 442 .38 Special.

Won't get rid oof my 442, and will still carry it as a BUG from time to time, but the 432 is just such a sweet gun with great improvements that it definitely wins in the pocket gun category. No doubt about it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The sight upgrades alone make it a whole other animal, and quite easy to shoot well, provided you put in some practice.

Old style J Frame sights on my 442 :

New ones of the Ultimate Carry 432:

Last edited by Mackay_Sagebrush; 03/31/24. Reason: Edited, changed a typo so TRH can feel better

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
What the heck is a .48 Special?? Sounds devastating. Does it have a four round cylinder?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (007FJ, 1234, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,228 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,918
Posts18,479,669
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.