Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Anyone plan on going to Tulsa? This will be my first trip out there!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
East wall downstairs. Calhoun (selling his book on the 99's) and I will be there.

Wear comfortable shoes and bring a shoulder bag for a water bottle and pen and paper. If you don't note the location of what you want to go back and look at you will never find it. The place is huge!

Be early. See you there.

Last edited by Rick99; 02/27/24.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Yes I was told if I see it and want it then I better get it on the spot. Chances of it still being there later or locating it again could be very challenging. Fortunately I am going with a group that has a table and go every year.

I’ll make sure to stop by your table!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ll make it there someday. Not this year though.😔

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I went once you wont regret it, lots to see and buy. Will go back someday.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't usually post on this subforum, but I've been there many times. I second Rick's suggestion about good walking shoes and a bag. The show is huge and the floors are concrete, it will wear you out.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did Tulsa once - I think it was Nov of ‘21.

Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
I second Rick's suggestion about good walking shoes and a bag. The show is huge and the floors are concrete, it will wear you out.

So true, it took 1.5 days for me to walk the floor one time. My feet were killing me and I was exhausted. Very few places to sit down. I threw in the towel about 1:30 on Sunday and hit the road back home to Dallas.

Originally Posted by Rick99
East wall downstairs. Calhoun (selling his book on the 99's) and I will be there.

I certainly took advantage of the presence of Rory, Rick and Joe (there was a 4th Savage guy there and I have forgotten who he was). I bought my first ‘99 at Tulsa. These guys were very generous to listen to me tell what I had found and to lend guidance.

Other stuff ….

Be prepared for a 10 to 15 minute walk from your car to the entrance.

The food inside was pretty mediocre. Standard convention center fare. Ugggh.

I was pleasantly surprised by the friendliness of every seller that I met.

Compared to the gun shows around Dallas, the Tulsa show has a lower percentage of black guns for sale.

You can find some very nice guns. I recall one large spread having several fine shotguns selling for 5-figure prices.

There was a wonderful lack of junk for sale (no candles, or other non-gun junk like that). Some optics, reloading, and safes. One tee-shirt vendor.

One thing I never figured out - how to carry around multiple guns while you are walking the floor. 6 hours is a long time to carry around two or three guns. I had two guns to sell and ended up carrying one each day.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
What are the Texas gun purchase laws? What happens if you are from another state ? Not interested in handgun laws. Where I’m from (Calif) very strict. We have to go background check for ammo. We have more crime now than we’ve ever had. Go figure!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As best as I know for Texas ….

A transaction between two non-FFL individuals is pretty simple. Exchange money for a gun. I do see a number of individuals requesting that the buyer show ID, preferrably a state-issued carry license and also ask the buyer to sign a statement that they are under no restriction to buy a firearm - I THINK that Texas has a law that could hold someone responsible for selling to an ineligible person.

Ammo sales are easy (rifle, pistol, shotgun) - just about like buying groceries. I don’t even have to show my driver’s license. Which implies no restrictions for an out-of-state individual buying ammo. Ditto for reloading components.

When purchasing from a FFL seller, he has responsibility to verify that the buyer is not restricted - not a felon, no restraining order, etc. In 2018, I bought a firearm in a local store, the store owner took my info from my Texas Drivers License and called a number that verified my eligibility within 10 minutes - and I walked out of the store with the pistol.

I have ordered ammo, bullets, and brass online and it was sent to my door. And left on the porch by UPS/FedEx/whoever. I have ordered as much as 1000 rounds in a single transaction. I have purchased ammo, bullets and brass from the classifieds here on the fire and it was mailed to me via USPS at my house.

I also purchased a 1925-produced Savage 99 from a Georgia guy here on the fire. Because I have my C&R FFL, he sent it to my house. Transaction in 2023. Bought an old Savage ‘99 action from one of our Savage brothers here on the fire. Because of my C&R FFL, he sent it to my house via UPS - 2022.

I bought a pistol from an out-of-state retailer. I gave him the name of a local FFL-holder. The pistol was sent to the FFL holder; he took my details from my Texas License to Carry (didn’t even make the phone call to check me out!), charged me a $15 fee and I walked out with my pistol. That was 2019.

And to lend further perspective … I am Licensed to Carry in Texas which is recognized under reciprocal agreements with many other states; I will be traveling to Oklahoma this week. I will have protection for my journey … at Tulsa I bought a rifle and I sold a rifle. Simple exchange of cash for firearm.

But to be clear, the License to Carry does not provide any extra eligibility for purchasing guns, ammo, or reloading components. But I did have to undergo a background check by the State of Texas as part of the process to gain the LTC - this gives some folks a warm fuzzy feeling about dealing with LTC holders.

I think that out-of-state eligible folks can purchase rifles and shotguns in Texas without any restriction beyond eligibility; but not handguns. Ditto for Oklahoma.

Originally Posted by Alan_C
What are the Texas gun purchase laws? What happens if you are from another state ? Not interested in handgun laws. Where I’m from (Calif) very strict. We have to go background check for ammo. We have more crime now than we’ve ever had. Go figure!

From my perspective, gun laws restrict only law-abiding citizens. I don’t think very many criminals are worried about these laws.

If a criminal is worried that you might shoot back, I do believe that gives him something to think about. Recalling the old saying …. God created man. Sam Colt made them equal.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Thank you Adventure Bound! I hope I make it to the Tulsa show one day. We had good shows here in Calif but when the 10 day waiting period went into effect, it was pretty much over for big shows. For me to buy a long gun from another state, the FFL ‘s charge $75 to bring the gun in plus the Dros fees which I think is around $ 35. Then they collect the sales tax for the state . I envy your freedom you have and also happy for you! Cheers, Alan

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Alan,

I hope the info was helpful.

Yep - I love my freedom here. But California has Texas beat on weather, scenery and you have California girls. My son attended law school in the Bay Area and now has a practice in Orange Country; he loves living there - and he married a California girl.

The guns shows in Texas aren’t much good anymore. Mostly commercial sellers. Very few individual collectors. Lots of black guns for sale. A great lack of guns with wooden stocks. And those damned candles!

Last I knew, Texas FFL holders were not collecting sales tax unless they were the actual seller.

I’m not sure when I will be back to Tulsa. But I am looking forward to the day.

Forrest

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
On my Bucket list!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Went twice years ago, was a lot of fun. Met one guy from AR forum there. Snapped this sign a guy was carrying.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 57 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,277
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.