Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Do you think we worry about a tenth of a grain in charge weight a little too much?

For many purposes I would say yes. Here's a pic of a five round, 300 yard group I shot with one of my 308s using thrown charges of IMR 4064. Shot it with a 4x scope too. grin

[Linked Image]

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, either.................& it doesn't sound like you were obsessing over it at all.

This thread has gotten totally distorted, driven by FA's comments & into oblivion & off the edge of reality, regarding handloading.

The OP showed a nice illustration of the effect of 1.5 gr variation in a nominal 41 grain load..........................but I'd be willing to be a LOT of money that mathman's loads didn't have that much variation..................& neither do anyone else's that are worthy of being called a HL'er.

And all w/o obsessing....................over SD & ES.

If you accept that, to a significant degree, SD/ES are driven by powder charge variation, most HL'er are not going to accept a combination of powder, equipment & technique that gives 1.5 gr powder variation within a lot of handloaded ammo.

And given today's types of powders available, the equipment available & much more than basic handloader know-how, there's no need to get that kind of variation in performance on target due to velocity variations (SD/ES) that would drive the kind of on-target variation with a reasonably good shooting hunting rifle.

But using coarse powders, with a schitty powder measure, combined with sloppy technique will surely give far more than "good" results in powder charge variability, & subsequently poor ES/SD, & probably less than desired performance on the target.

But in today's world, you don't have to obsess to fix most of that.

There are lots of relatively fined grained powders that flow well for virtually any application.

There are plenty of good powder feeders that are verry accurate & repeatable in their performance.

And there are even more sophisticated tools like an RCBS ChargeMaster.....................if you still want to use a stick powder & not trickle to load by hand.

Or in the worst case, if you insist on using coarse powders, you can always manually trickle to load weight. (That's getting close to obsessive & stupid, today)

And you can learn better & more consistent loading techniques.

And best of all, none of that is "obsessive"........................

But FA did get one thing right; you can't overcome whatever the inherent, baseline capability of the rifle might be..................but you can make it as good as it can be.

And that's not obsessive.

Obsessive & anal retentive is BR shooting. And BR handloading. For discussion.

YMMV

MM

Glad I could help out.

Did I say how entertaining this stuff is?

Excuse me for a little bit while I go sharpen a knife, because, well, it's dull.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was into archery, it was with a long bow, no sights and wood arrows. They killed as well as the $2,000 outfits required today.

If everyone hunting deer had to use a 44-40 with buckhorn sights and factory ammo…

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used to shoot in a traditional archery league here in Phoenix. I shot a recurve, but the longbows and flatbows
were deadly in the right hands.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't think too many people obsess. It's a matter of trying to understand who they are and what makes them happy.

Joe Average

Some people buy a die set and use it to load whatever bullets they buy. You read their posts from time to time.

"I'm happy with Core Lokts and use the same RCBS die set I bought in 1969."

They might have a 308 Winchester they've been shooting for years and use the same bullets all the time. Occasionally, they read about some new bullet and might buy a box to try, but that's the exception, not the rule. They appreciate tools that last and consider themselves practical. It's all good.

The Weekend Warrior

Others like to try some of the new stuff from the bullet/powder companies - if it fits their needs. They enjoy tinkering at the reloading bench on Saturdays because it's relaxing. Sometimes, they read magazines or go online looking for hunting or shooting articles. They are curious. From time to time, new components or rifles interest them because of the adventure and potential usefulness. They are the silent majority.

Member of the Camera Club

Then there are people who like to buy gadgets. They enjoy experimenting, but it doesn't consume them. They can be convinced to shoot past 100 or 200 yards. They are willing to try something new because, well, it looks cool! You might see them at gun shows, looking for used dies or accessories. Reloading is still a hobby, but it takes up more of their leisure time. They like talking with like minded people about how they can make their groups shrink. They usually are members of a few online outdoor forums.

The Obsessed

As you ascend the mountain, you see competitive shooters, LR hunters and beanfield varminters. They shoot at things that are far away and need accuracy. Whether it's prairie dogs, sheep, or x rings, to be able to dial in on what you're aiming at is very important. They are always looking for an edge and buy all the latest equipment. Listening to them can be like trying to understand someone who speaks a foreign language. They are always talking about spin drift, mirages and precession.

The Keyboard Ninjas

There is another group, but they are secretive. I left them for last. Certainly, they are not fun to have around. Some talk about owning LR equipment like March or NF scopes. They love to join in on conversations about the newest ELD bullet or top of the line cartridge. They can even be found poopooing the equipment choices of others. Some do not hunt. Most are full of negativity. laugh

This last group has issues. Perhaps they cannot afford the high end stuff. They may not understand why some people like to shoot long range, or hunt deer, or punch holes in paper. But they can afford a computer and love to stir the pot. They obsess over teasing the other groups. For them, it's the thrill of upsetting others. Sadly, they cannot appreciate any of the groups.

---

All these groups all have one thing in common. They don't understand any of the others. frown

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's all subjective, every last part of it....and because it's all subjective there is no wrong beyond the blatantly stupid and unsafe.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Runout, sub0.2gr charge weights, ES, ED are all indicators.

It’s not like our rifles and loads are multimillion industries with hundreds of employees that have to rely on indicators to work out how good they’re doing.

Just shoot the load at paper and see.

Of course if there is then a problem you can look but most time it’s more basic

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by OttoG
Runout, sub0.2gr charge weights, ES, ED are all indicators.

It’s not like our rifles and loads are multimillion industries with hundreds of employees that have to rely on indicators to work out how good they’re doing.

Just shoot the load at paper and see.

Of course if there is then a problem you can look but most time it’s more basic
What are E.S and S.D indicators of? Good group bad group? Vertical? Horizontal?

Last edited by sherm_61; 03/02/24.
C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Possible "less good" group at greater distances.

For the average shooter, over average distances won't matter much at all. But over the longer distances say 500yds and beyond the highs and lows start to be come apparent. Here's a pretty decent article that get's into the effect:

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editori...eme-spread-and-standard-deviation/247510

I ran the numbers with Strelok Pro using my 6mm SLR data (think 6mmC +P) Berger 105 Hybrid (fictional load, my load has an SD of 7) and a 10MPH cross wind, same conditions. I used the high and low MVs for the fictional load.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

So at 600 you're looking at 2.3" delta in drop and .5" less wind between the highs and lows in your ES.

At 1000 you're looking at 8.8" delta in drop and 1.4" in wind delta.

I don't think anybody has ever said that stats trump accuracy, just that for the longer distances it's better to have both good accuracy and stats.

Last edited by Chuck_R; 03/02/24.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That is completely false ive seen many 1,000 shot ladders that will prove it, go over to accurateshooter and look at ladders 1,000 BR shooters post it will prove it also. Target tells everything period, numbers don't.
I've shot more 1.5-2" triangle shape good groups at 700 with low teen to mid 20's with than I ever have single digit. I shot a 3 shot group once with my 30-28 all 3 shots were 3101fps and the group was 3" tall and 3/4 wide.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I watched a really good 1,000 BR shooter one day shooting 5 shot 890 yard 2.5 -4 " groups that were same shape as the size that were all high teens to mid 20's E.S

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by sherm_61
That is completely false ive seen many 1,000 shot ladders that will prove it, go over to accurateshooter and look at ladders 1,000 BR shooters post it will prove it also. Target tells everything period, numbers don't.
I've shot more 1.5-2" triangle shape good groups at 700 with low teen to mid 20's with than I ever have single digit. I shot a 3 shot group once with my 30-28 all 3 shots were 3101fps and the group was 3" tall and 3/4 wide.

Got it, actual accuracy trumps stats.

The author of the article is listed, why don't you drop him a line and let him know. While you're at it, contact the folks at Berger and give them a piece of your mind:

A Berger 6mm 109 grain Long Range Hybrid Target bullet shot with a 2980 fps muzzle velocity has a predicted drop of 878.57 inches at 1500 yards, while the same bullet with a 3020 fps muzzle velocity has a predicted drop of 849.12 inches at 1500 yards. That is almost a 30 inch difference!

It is easy to see why so many shooters aim for single digit SDs when hand loading. The same relationship between average and SD applies for any range of numbers that are normally distributed, which many of the variables in shooting are, so it’s worth learning the above information.

Typically, variation in the BC of bullets from shot-to-shot are normally distributed, so you can estimate the spread of BC’s in any group you can measure the SD of. Shots with BC’s very far from the average will be less likely than shots with BC’s closer to the average. The Extreme Spread (ES) is the range from the highest to lowest, and will drive the actual dispersion at long range. To see what this equates to when it comes to hit percentage on target, read our next article, BC Variation and Hit Percentage at Long Range.

https://bergerbullets.com/nobsbc/standard-deviation-of-bc-the-bell-curve/

Here's another one:

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/04/18/how-much-does-sd-matter/

It does a pretty good job of comparing ES and SD with hit probability. I'm positive the author of that one would love to hear about your experience as well.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You can believe all the articles you want i believe what I see with my own eyes and targets,there's plenty of guys who will disagree with Berger. Read Tony Boyer book not one word about E.S and S.D, does Eric Cortina ring a bell Hornandy claiming his tuners dont work ring a bell.
People need to test things for themselves or watch other really good precision shooters do testing.
I guess all these guys who win national championships and records are wrong and should listen to Berger and magazine articles and change the way they do things.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Go over to accurateshooter and tell all the guys they got it wrong because there S.D or numbers says so, ill come watch just let me know when you do

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Theres plenty over there that have the hardware, records and championships to prove it.

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Go over to accurateshooter and tell all the guys they got it wrong because there S.D or numbers says so, ill come watch just let me know when you do

I'm beginning to believe that reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.. am I correct?

As I said (IF you could comprehend) stats don't trump accuracy.

So, are you saying that good chrono stats are an indicator of poor accuracy? Or are you saying that achieving good chrono stats hinders accuracy?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Chuck_R

I'm beginning to believe that reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.. am I correct?

As I said (IF you could comprehend) stats don't trump accuracy.

So, are you saying that good chrono stats are an indicator of poor accuracy? Or are you saying that achieving good chrono stats hinders accuracy?
Targets are definitely not your strong suit, ill be waiting on accurateshooter shooter to bring your arguments over there and tell those guys there all wrong
Stick is right on one thing you can tell who shoots and who just reads about it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No, it’s not false. The “target” is a result of the physical systems, which can be described and modelled using math and numbers. The key to matching the theory with reality is to understand the physics and correctly model the system with numbers. It would be crazy to suggest that, if it were possible, bullets exiting the muzzle in exactly the same position and with exactly the same speed wouldn’t impact at exactly the same point (assuming identical atmospheric conditions).

I think you are misinterpreting the point being made. Speed is one variable that affects POI, but that doesn’t mean that it’s necessarily the dominant variable, or that it can’t be somewhat offset by other variables. Muzzle position at the time of bullet release is another variable, and when people talk about “finding a node,” this is what they are referring to. Correctly timing bullet release at a certain point in the muzzle’s path of motion can largely offset any existing speed variation from shot to shot, but there is no doubt that minimizing speed variation helps and results in more consistent POI.

You mentioned Cortina. He is a proponent of the load development method in which you first tweak variables to minimize speed variation, and then tweak seating depth to time bullet exit correctly at an anti-node in the muzzle’s oscillatory motion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gotta make a new batch of popcorn................LOL.

MM

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kiss,find pressure and rock on,all of which was done,prior to mounting the scope. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Just sayin'..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
No, it’s not false. The “target” is a result of the physical systems, which can be described and modelled using math and numbers. The key to matching the theory with reality is to understand the physics and correctly model the system with numbers. It would be crazy to suggest that, if it were possible, bullets exiting the muzzle in exactly the same position and with exactly the same speed wouldn’t impact at exactly the same point (assuming identical atmospheric conditions).

I think you are misinterpreting the point being made. Speed is one variable that affects POI, but that doesn’t mean that it’s necessarily the dominant variable, or that it can’t be somewhat offset by other variables. Muzzle position at the time of bullet release is another variable, and when people talk about “finding a node,” this is what they are referring to. Correctly timing bullet release at a certain point in the muzzle’s path of motion can largely offset any existing speed variation from shot to shot, but there is no doubt that minimizing speed variation helps and results in more consistent POI.

You mentioned Cortina. He is a proponent of the load development method in which you first tweak variables to minimize speed variation, and then tweak seating depth to time bullet exit correctly at an anti-node in the muzzle’s oscillatory motion.
Ask Eric Cortina. Alex Wheeler, Jack Neary, Tony Boyer, John Whidden etc. if there gonna believe there target or computer, E.S- S.D #'s. Read up on positive compensation even Eric i believe in his Podcast with Alex Wheeler didn't believe in it untill recently.
What does Eric always say at the end of every podcast BELIEVE THE TARGET!!!

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (2500HD, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 16penny, 63 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,506
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.