Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Originally Posted by muleshoe
I remember my old man smoking Pall Malls. He said he picked up the habit in Korea, no idea what brand. It matters not, they killed him eventually. Not a pleasant way to go.

My Dad started smoking in the Army in the mid-50's (USAE, W. Germany). He quit when I was about two years old when his doctor got his medical report mixed up with another patient and told him he was going to die from cigs. He lived until 1999.

My dad quit cold turkey in the mid 80’s. The lung and liver tumors showed up in 2015. The Doc said it was smoking related, and it’s pretty common even 30 years after quitting. We just went past his 6 year anniversary on Valentines Day.

Black Cows Matter!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Marlboro, then Marlboro Lights, then was smoking Winston Lights when I quit. There was a gal who was sales a rep for the company that sold cigarettes to most of the stores in the area, and she found out I was a tobacco farmer. Anyway, she kept me in a good supply of coupons for cigarettes by the carton, and the last few years that I smoked, most of cigarettes I bought were about half price. When I quit, I gave away probably a hundred bucks of those coupons.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
These were always in the grocery store, for like 10 cents or something.

[Linked Image from quilts.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Nestucca
My dad started on pall malls in the army in the early 60s. It seemed to be a thing back then.
We used to get them in C Rations. Four cigs as I recall. And no, I wasn't in the Army at the time, we just knew them GIs had a stash, By the time we got them I bet they were 20 years old, dried out, and nasty.

I started with a Marlboro as I recall, given to me by my older bro so he could smoke one and so that I couldn't tell. It was off to the races then.

Smoked whatever I could get my hands on, BullDurham, Tops, Bugler, cigs stolen from my mom or other kid's parent. Ride up to the door of the gas station "office", hop off the bicycle, throw a quarter in the machine and push buttons. No time to look as by this time Elvin was cussing us from the lift bays. Whatever came out got smoked by me and buds.

Forge a note from folks, take to little neighborhood store, get smokes.

Stop at liquor store on way to school, get some Hostess crap, one guy distract owner, someone else takes smokes from display on counter. Someone leave a window open in their car and smokes on the dashboard.............whoosh, they gone.

Smoked butts out of ashtrays when needed.

Horrible addiction and I firmly believe I was addicted before that first one given me by my brother. The old man always had a cigar going, or was chewing the stub, if he was awake. Mom always smoked when she wasn't pregnant "to lose weight" she'd gained having kids. In the closed up house, in the car with the windows rolled up in winter. Didn't matter, they were always smoking.

By the time I quit 36 years ago this coming April, I was smoking 2.5-3 packs a day on average and if it was long day, up around a campfire type of day, it was probably more. Mostly Marlboro red, then lights, then some sort of "low tar" brand I can't recall because I knew I was gonna smoke 2+ packs that day. Not to mention chewing leaf tobacco at times while smoking, doing snuff (not the Copenhagen type) , and enjoying the odd cigar.

Can't imagine smoking now, it was $2 a pack when I quit and it used up a bunch of my take home pay then.

Anyone smoking now that wants to quit, when you do just remember to not smoke the first one. My old man figured that out on his own and probably hadn't had a cigar (he smoked a 5 pack a day at least, White Owls, Phillies) for close to 20 yeas when he passed.

Don't smoke the first one, don't bum just one from your buddy, don't just take a dip from a friend. If you're seriously addicted it's almost guaranteed you'll start back up.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My dad preferred Chesterfields………one word coupons and he was cheap.

Thanks, Billy
IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
In the mid-fifties when I was about 5, all the adults in the family smoked. My maternal grandfather asked me one weekend if I wanted to try a smoke which was probably a Camel. I took one small puff and yuck! Never touched another. 🤢

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

I remember buying two bags for 15cents at the general store in Four Buttes MT in the late sixties. That stuff was powdery and you had to be on your rolling game.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
My dad started on pall malls in the army in the early 60s. It seemed to be a thing back then.
We used to get them in C Rations. Four cigs as I recall. And no, I wasn't in the Army at the time, we just knew them GIs had a stash, By the time we got them I bet they were 20 years old, dried out, and nasty.

I started with a Marlboro as I recall, given to me by my older bro so he could smoke one and so that I couldn't tell. It was off to the races then.

Smoked whatever I could get my hands on, BullDurham, Tops, Bugler, cigs stolen from my mom or other kid's parent. Ride up to the door of the gas station "office", hop off the bicycle, throw a quarter in the machine and push buttons. No time to look as by this time Elvin was cussing us from the lift bays. Whatever came out got smoked by me and buds.

Stop at liquor store on way to school, get some Hostess crap, one guy distract owner, someone else takes smokes from display on counter. Someone leave a window open in their car and smokes on the dashboard.............whoosh, they gone.

Horrible addiction and I firmly believe I was addicted before that first one given me by my brother. The old man always had a cigar going, or was chewing the stub, if he was awake. Mom always smoked when she wasn't pregnant "to lose weight" she'd gained having kids. In the closed up house, in the car with the windows rolled up in winter. Didn't matter, they were always smoking.

By the time I quit 36 years ago this coming April, I was smoking 2.5-3 packs a day on average and if it was long day, up around a campfire type of day, it was probably more. Mostly Marlboro red, then lights, then some sort of "low tar" brand I can't recall because I knew I was gonna smoke 2+ packs that day. Not to mention chewing leaf tobacco at times while smoking, doing snuff (not the Copenhagen type) , and enjoying the odd cigar.

Can't imagine smoking now, it was $2 a pack when I quit and it used up a bunch of my take home pay then.

Anyone smoking now that wants to quit, when you do just remember to not smoke the first one. My old man figured that out on his own and probably hadn't had a cigar (he smoked a 5 pack a day at least, White Owls, Phillies) for close to 20 yeas when he passed.

Don't smoke the first one, don't bum just one from your buddy, don't just take a dip from a friend. If you're seriously addicted it's almost guaranteed you'll start back up.

Helluva testimony. Thank you, Sir.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Before cigarette machines could give change, a pack of cigarettes was 22 cents. So you put a quarter into the machine and you’d get the pack of cigarettes with three new, shiny pennies in the cellophane on the side of the pack.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Being in the healthcare industry for the past 23 years I have seen numerous people die. I've even seen several people die in combat. The ones who suffered the most were smokers dying in a hospital or their homes with family surrounding them. I can't imagine a more miserable way to die. My wife currently works in a cancer center. The oncologist is thankful for smokers. Their habits have helped pay for his extravagant house and luxurious cars. Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

Medics bury their mistakes..
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Before cigarette machines could give change, a pack of cigarettes was 22 cents. So you put a quarter into the machine and you’d get the pack of cigarettes with three new, shiny pennies in the cellophane on the side of the pack.

Last i saw a cig machine was Shoney’s…

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I was a kid, a lot of my peers started smoking Tareytons and moved on to Marlboros and Winstons.

My high school sweetheart started smoking Salem 100s when she was 16. She died from metastasized lung cancer at age 42. She left a husband and 3 daughters, ages 12, 16, and 20. She got hooked and didn't have the strength or motivation to quit and it eventually killed her. Another one those reaping what you've sown situations.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

You're welcome.

It was just life back then.

Maybe someone reads it and decides to stop before it gets as bad as it did for me. Heck, I even smoked nearly a pack a day in HS when I had chronic bronchitis.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You're welcome.

It was just life back then.

Maybe someone reads it and decides to stop before it gets as bad as it did for me. Heck, I even smoked nearly a pack a day in HS when I had chronic bronchitis.

+1.

I dont smoke..

Tried it as a teenager…

Came home smelling like cigs….
Got the “do what you want when you pay the bills” talk…

Nuff for me.

Was Maybe one of the few welders that dont smoke, dont chew, dont drink coffey.. 😂😂

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Camels .Quit 50 years ago . When I was in the Navy they cost $1.05 a carton . 5 cents into the Boats party fund .

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm no angel but glad I never took up smoking.
I watched my dad die at 58 as a 3 pack a day Marlboro red guy.

Proud NRA Life Member
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Both parents smoked Chesterfield Kings, dad quit just as soon as the Surgeon General's report came out did it old turkey. Smoking killed my mother at age 50 and her sister at 81. I never took up the habit as a kid one of my chores was to take out the trash. Last thing in the trash was the contents of the ash trays, dumping the trash all the cigarette ashes blew up in my face. Absolutely disgusting, it made me swear to never take up the habit.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by oldtrapper

I remember buying two bags for 15cents at the general store in Four Buttes MT in the late sixties. That stuff was powdery and you had to be on your rolling game.

Yep. Very dry. Didn't want to stay on the paper.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by oldtrapper

Yep. Very dry. Didn't want to stay on the paper.

An old timer I worked for as a teen used to say a real cowboy could roll one while riding horseback, on a windy day. That would be a feat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My brother killed himself with Pall Malls, after starting with Luckies and Camels. Don’t think he ever smoked a filter except the Viceroys he stole from our mother. I remember Luckies going for $2.10 a carton at the local Jumbo grocery about 1972. Such a deal….

I listen to old Bob & Ray radio shows regularly. One of their long-term sponsors was Chesterfields. Funny, but on other OTR shows, Chesterfields were touted as being easier on the voice by various actors and actresses.

Another brand that sponsored Bob & Ray was Fatimas, the ads read by Basil Rathbone.

Although I remember as a child considering what brand I would smoke someday, I never started. My father began in the army during the war, smoked for 63 years, then quit when my brother was diagnosed with cancer. He had some emphysema, but never developed the Big C, and lived to within less than an hour of turning 96.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (badwolf, 257 mag, 35, BABore, 11 invisible), 1,440 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,066
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.