Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What was your poison? Anybody sez Newport is OUT.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
LSMFT

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tareyton for quite awhile before moving on to Marlboroughs.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Somewhere in my junk…

I’ve got a Benson and Hedges greatest hits cassette tape my Auntie gave me for Christmas one year….

No telling how many boxes she had to safe up for it…

Seems like it was mostly MoTown music on the tape.

W.T.F. ? I was like 10 at the time..

😂😂😂

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Kwit cold turky 20 yrs ago Marlboros imagine the taste today 🤤

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Kent

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Never smoked.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
My dad preferred L&M, he quit in 1992, lung and esophagus cancers. And his last years were very painful.

Last edited by dale06; 03/01/24.

NRA Patron
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My dad was a Tareyton smoker. When I first started, it was Pall Mall or Camel. Cut'em in half, a couple of drags and I'm high as a kite.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've smoked a million and quit 20 yrs ago. Lung exhales smell like babys breath. not as bad for you as ya think. now if i smoke a cuban my farts smell like cigars 2 days later. gotta tell you something

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Marlboro red, Marlboro lights & Doral quit cold turkey 1999.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remember my old man smoking Pall Malls. He said he picked up the habit in Korea, no idea what brand. It matters not, they killed him eventually. Not a pleasant way to go.

Black Cows Matter!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Started stealing Pall Mall and Camel non filtered off grandad when I was 14, by 16 it was a pack of camel lights a day, by 18 it was 2 packs of Marlboro reds a day, 28 yo, Jan. 1st 2000 I quit cold turkey and never smoked another.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Chesterfields -- ancient ones that came in the B4 pack.
RB

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Started stealing Pall Mall and Camel non filtered off grandad when I was 14, by 16 it was a pack of camel lights a day, by 18 it was 2 packs of Marlboro reds a day, 28 yo, Jan. 1st 2000 I quit cold turkey and never smoked another.

You got willpower how did you do it drinking, hell I had to quit drinking in order to quit the cig's only way I could. After about 6 months I started drinking again and it was easier never smoked another cig.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad smoked Winstons. He quit decades ago and is healthy in his 80's.

I smoke a pipe every now and then.

-John

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by muleshoe
I remember my old man smoking Pall Malls. He said he picked up the habit in Korea, no idea what brand. It matters not, they killed him eventually. Not a pleasant way to go.

My Dad started smoking in the Army in the mid-50's (USAE, W. Germany). He quit when I was about two years old when his doctor got his medical report mixed up with another patient and told him he was going to die from cigs. He lived until 1999.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
My dad started on pall malls in the army in the early 60s. It seemed to be a thing back then.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I’d smoke a pall mall every once in awhile when i was about 10-11 yrs old

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I liked the Pall Mall, among others, when I smoked. The red pack without filters.

Also Marlboro red, camel non-filter, Lucky Strike. Hand rolled Velvet, Bugler, and Prince Albert as a teenager (1970s).

As teenagers, we also used to smoke the Bull Durham tobacco in the little fabric pouch, with some papers included. I don't know if that is still around.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Originally Posted by muleshoe

My Dad started smoking in the Army in the mid-50's (USAE, W. Germany). He quit when I was about two years old when his doctor got his medical report mixed up with another patient and told him he was going to die from cigs. He lived until 1999.

My dad quit cold turkey in the mid 80’s. The lung and liver tumors showed up in 2015. The Doc said it was smoking related, and it’s pretty common even 30 years after quitting. We just went past his 6 year anniversary on Valentines Day.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Marlboro, then Marlboro Lights, then was smoking Winston Lights when I quit. There was a gal who was sales a rep for the company that sold cigarettes to most of the stores in the area, and she found out I was a tobacco farmer. Anyway, she kept me in a good supply of coupons for cigarettes by the carton, and the last few years that I smoked, most of cigarettes I bought were about half price. When I quit, I gave away probably a hundred bucks of those coupons.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
These were always in the grocery store, for like 10 cents or something.

[Linked Image from quilts.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Nestucca
My dad started on pall malls in the army in the early 60s. It seemed to be a thing back then.
We used to get them in C Rations. Four cigs as I recall. And no, I wasn't in the Army at the time, we just knew them GIs had a stash, By the time we got them I bet they were 20 years old, dried out, and nasty.

I started with a Marlboro as I recall, given to me by my older bro so he could smoke one and so that I couldn't tell. It was off to the races then.

Smoked whatever I could get my hands on, BullDurham, Tops, Bugler, cigs stolen from my mom or other kid's parent. Ride up to the door of the gas station "office", hop off the bicycle, throw a quarter in the machine and push buttons. No time to look as by this time Elvin was cussing us from the lift bays. Whatever came out got smoked by me and buds.

Forge a note from folks, take to little neighborhood store, get smokes.

Stop at liquor store on way to school, get some Hostess crap, one guy distract owner, someone else takes smokes from display on counter. Someone leave a window open in their car and smokes on the dashboard.............whoosh, they gone.

Smoked butts out of ashtrays when needed.

Horrible addiction and I firmly believe I was addicted before that first one given me by my brother. The old man always had a cigar going, or was chewing the stub, if he was awake. Mom always smoked when she wasn't pregnant "to lose weight" she'd gained having kids. In the closed up house, in the car with the windows rolled up in winter. Didn't matter, they were always smoking.

By the time I quit 36 years ago this coming April, I was smoking 2.5-3 packs a day on average and if it was long day, up around a campfire type of day, it was probably more. Mostly Marlboro red, then lights, then some sort of "low tar" brand I can't recall because I knew I was gonna smoke 2+ packs that day. Not to mention chewing leaf tobacco at times while smoking, doing snuff (not the Copenhagen type) , and enjoying the odd cigar.

Can't imagine smoking now, it was $2 a pack when I quit and it used up a bunch of my take home pay then.

Anyone smoking now that wants to quit, when you do just remember to not smoke the first one. My old man figured that out on his own and probably hadn't had a cigar (he smoked a 5 pack a day at least, White Owls, Phillies) for close to 20 yeas when he passed.

Don't smoke the first one, don't bum just one from your buddy, don't just take a dip from a friend. If you're seriously addicted it's almost guaranteed you'll start back up.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My dad preferred Chesterfields………one word coupons and he was cheap.

Thanks, Billy
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
In the mid-fifties when I was about 5, all the adults in the family smoked. My maternal grandfather asked me one weekend if I wanted to try a smoke which was probably a Camel. I took one small puff and yuck! Never touched another. 🤢

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

I remember buying two bags for 15cents at the general store in Four Buttes MT in the late sixties. That stuff was powdery and you had to be on your rolling game.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
We used to get them in C Rations. Four cigs as I recall. And no, I wasn't in the Army at the time, we just knew them GIs had a stash, By the time we got them I bet they were 20 years old, dried out, and nasty.

I started with a Marlboro as I recall, given to me by my older bro so he could smoke one and so that I couldn't tell. It was off to the races then.

Smoked whatever I could get my hands on, BullDurham, Tops, Bugler, cigs stolen from my mom or other kid's parent. Ride up to the door of the gas station "office", hop off the bicycle, throw a quarter in the machine and push buttons. No time to look as by this time Elvin was cussing us from the lift bays. Whatever came out got smoked by me and buds.

Stop at liquor store on way to school, get some Hostess crap, one guy distract owner, someone else takes smokes from display on counter. Someone leave a window open in their car and smokes on the dashboard.............whoosh, they gone.

Horrible addiction and I firmly believe I was addicted before that first one given me by my brother. The old man always had a cigar going, or was chewing the stub, if he was awake. Mom always smoked when she wasn't pregnant "to lose weight" she'd gained having kids. In the closed up house, in the car with the windows rolled up in winter. Didn't matter, they were always smoking.

By the time I quit 36 years ago this coming April, I was smoking 2.5-3 packs a day on average and if it was long day, up around a campfire type of day, it was probably more. Mostly Marlboro red, then lights, then some sort of "low tar" brand I can't recall because I knew I was gonna smoke 2+ packs that day. Not to mention chewing leaf tobacco at times while smoking, doing snuff (not the Copenhagen type) , and enjoying the odd cigar.

Can't imagine smoking now, it was $2 a pack when I quit and it used up a bunch of my take home pay then.

Anyone smoking now that wants to quit, when you do just remember to not smoke the first one. My old man figured that out on his own and probably hadn't had a cigar (he smoked a 5 pack a day at least, White Owls, Phillies) for close to 20 yeas when he passed.

Don't smoke the first one, don't bum just one from your buddy, don't just take a dip from a friend. If you're seriously addicted it's almost guaranteed you'll start back up.

Helluva testimony. Thank you, Sir.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Before cigarette machines could give change, a pack of cigarettes was 22 cents. So you put a quarter into the machine and you’d get the pack of cigarettes with three new, shiny pennies in the cellophane on the side of the pack.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Being in the healthcare industry for the past 23 years I have seen numerous people die. I've even seen several people die in combat. The ones who suffered the most were smokers dying in a hospital or their homes with family surrounding them. I can't imagine a more miserable way to die. My wife currently works in a cancer center. The oncologist is thankful for smokers. Their habits have helped pay for his extravagant house and luxurious cars. Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Before cigarette machines could give change, a pack of cigarettes was 22 cents. So you put a quarter into the machine and you’d get the pack of cigarettes with three new, shiny pennies in the cellophane on the side of the pack.

Last i saw a cig machine was Shoney’s…

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I was a kid, a lot of my peers started smoking Tareytons and moved on to Marlboros and Winstons.

My high school sweetheart started smoking Salem 100s when she was 16. She died from metastasized lung cancer at age 42. She left a husband and 3 daughters, ages 12, 16, and 20. She got hooked and didn't have the strength or motivation to quit and it eventually killed her. Another one those reaping what you've sown situations.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

You're welcome.

It was just life back then.

Maybe someone reads it and decides to stop before it gets as bad as it did for me. Heck, I even smoked nearly a pack a day in HS when I had chronic bronchitis.

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You're welcome.

It was just life back then.

Maybe someone reads it and decides to stop before it gets as bad as it did for me. Heck, I even smoked nearly a pack a day in HS when I had chronic bronchitis.

+1.

I dont smoke..

Tried it as a teenager…

Came home smelling like cigs….
Got the “do what you want when you pay the bills” talk…

Nuff for me.

Was Maybe one of the few welders that dont smoke, dont chew, dont drink coffey.. 😂😂

Dave

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Camels .Quit 50 years ago . When I was in the Navy they cost $1.05 a carton . 5 cents into the Boats party fund .

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm no angel but glad I never took up smoking.
I watched my dad die at 58 as a 3 pack a day Marlboro red guy.

Proud NRA Life Member
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Both parents smoked Chesterfield Kings, dad quit just as soon as the Surgeon General's report came out did it old turkey. Smoking killed my mother at age 50 and her sister at 81. I never took up the habit as a kid one of my chores was to take out the trash. Last thing in the trash was the contents of the ash trays, dumping the trash all the cigarette ashes blew up in my face. Absolutely disgusting, it made me swear to never take up the habit.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by oldtrapper

I remember buying two bags for 15cents at the general store in Four Buttes MT in the late sixties. That stuff was powdery and you had to be on your rolling game.

Yep. Very dry. Didn't want to stay on the paper.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

An old timer I worked for as a teen used to say a real cowboy could roll one while riding horseback, on a windy day. That would be a feat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My brother killed himself with Pall Malls, after starting with Luckies and Camels. Don’t think he ever smoked a filter except the Viceroys he stole from our mother. I remember Luckies going for $2.10 a carton at the local Jumbo grocery about 1972. Such a deal….

I listen to old Bob & Ray radio shows regularly. One of their long-term sponsors was Chesterfields. Funny, but on other OTR shows, Chesterfields were touted as being easier on the voice by various actors and actresses.

Another brand that sponsored Bob & Ray was Fatimas, the ads read by Basil Rathbone.

Although I remember as a child considering what brand I would smoke someday, I never started. My father began in the army during the war, smoked for 63 years, then quit when my brother was diagnosed with cancer. He had some emphysema, but never developed the Big C, and lived to within less than an hour of turning 96.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Marlboro

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My dad smoked for 60 years and it used to bug the hell out of mom. Mom would make dad stand out on the patio to smoke and dad HAD to close the door which meant that he had to stop complaining until he could be heard again. 😂. 2 years after mom passed dad got sick with the flu and found himself in the hospital for the first time in his life which was literally the 2nd time that dad ever saw a doctor. That hospital stay scared him and after he was discharged he never touched another cigarette. Dad and I had lunch together today and at almost 83 he’s the picture of health….a healthy man who misses mom something fierce. I told him again today how proud of him mom is…

I never could put hot smoke into my lungs and get pleasure out of it so I never smoked.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I’ve never smoked, with that said Pall Malls are a budget cigarette by todays prices. Pickup a woman smoking anything much less cheap Pall Malls and you are definitely getting laid!

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Camel non-filters and once in a while Lucky Strikes. Rolled my own for a while, Bull Durham

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Reds in a box.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Tareyton for quite awhile before moving on to Marlboroughs.
There's a special place for the famous Marlborough Men.

[Linked Image from tile.loc.gov]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

An old timer I worked for as a teen used to say a real cowboy could roll one while riding horseback, on a windy day. That would be a feat.

Thats one reason to carry in the front shirt pocket....so the tobacco will be humidified from the body.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Back in the late 60's it was LSMFT or Pall Mall but preferred unfiltered Camels. In the 70's changed to Marlboro due to the perceived notion a filter was healthier. My Daddy did Tarleyton and L&M and emphysema got him in 1988 which was the year I quit. Doctors convinced me that Copenhagen was likely more harmful than cigarettes due to the extreme nicotine content so I quit that in 2011. Since addiction is a lifetime long fight...I finally gave in and now puff on a pipe and have a daily cigar. I don't inhale on purpose.

Looking back I kinda think those L&M etc. cigarettes were nothing but a sham to cover up inferior tobacco and perhaps even some toxic chemicals. Just tear the filter off one and try it!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Smoked a neighbor's dad's Pall Mall & Camel filterless. Didn't mind a bit. But always preferred Marlboro reds and then later, whites.

Politics is War by Other Means
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
i started smoking when i was 12yo. it got to be habit when i was 16yo. it was Winston Lights till i got to 27 or 28yo. then it was Marlboro Reds till i was 39yo. it's been 12 years since i fired it up, ok, i had a stroke and i quit smoking and drinking. at the time, it was like $5 a pack. now, i don't know, $8 or $10 a pack? no thank you!!!!

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Quit in 1970. Tried em all. Mostly Marlboro or Kent.

E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
Hate to tell you guys but there is a special place for all of us. Some just a little sooner for some than others. Quit smoking 30 years ago but every once in a while an urge comes over for a cigarette. I don’t do it but the thought is real. Edk

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by tdoyka
i started smoking when i was 12yo. it got to be habit when i was 16yo. it was Winston Lights till i got to 27 or 28yo. then it was Marlboro Reds till i was 39yo. it's been 12 years since i fired it up, ok, i had a stroke and i quit smoking and drinking. at the time, it was like $5 a pack. now, i don't know, $8 or $10 a pack? no thank you!!!!

Well, this post certainly helps explains your ramblings in the Ukraine thread.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
ftw,

[Linked Image from windycitycigars.com]

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ERK
Hate to tell you guys but there is a special place for all of us. Some just a little sooner for some than others. Quit smoking 30 years ago but every once in a while an urge comes over for a cigarette. I don’t do it but the thought is real. Edk
At your age, you might as well go ahead and indulge! laugh

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by add
ftw,

[Linked Image from windycitycigars.com]
You get them doctored up in the 'hood with the angel dust?

In it is contentment

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Caplock

Thats one reason to carry in the front shirt pocket....so the tobacco will be humidified from the body.

Yeah, that makes sense.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My Dad smoked Pall Mall until he was 41, when he died of cancer. Still remember riding to Domino’s, our neighborhood grocery store, and buying Pall Mall’s for him.

Marlboro for me on and off until I was 50. Have not smoked in nearly 12 years.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Malboros, then to Camel filters, quit 40 years ago. Couldnt smoke today, BUT, still love the smell of a fired up Camel.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1OntarioJim, 1minute, 10Glocks, 16penny, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,527
Posts18,472,651
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.