Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Finally got off my dead arse to do something about putting a front sight on my Shilen heavy barreled S&W 686:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Because this revolver could some day possibly be pointed at a worthy animal in not-so-great light, I chose a tall HiViz green fiber optic meant for a Ruger Blackhawk. The sight looks so tall that, as a hedge, I stuck it into its slot temporarily using low strength Loctite 222. My intention is to test fire it some (if the sight stays on the gun long enough), then adjust the height of the sight, if needed, before epoxying it permanently in place.

Every day’s an adventure.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Looks good, have you thought about the DX blade/base combo? What are the extra holes for, a rib setup?

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by swag
Looks good, have you thought about the DX blade/base combo? What are the extra holes for, a rib setup?
The holes take Weaver #16 scope bases. With only the rear base installed, a Burris FastFire 3 goes on perfectly. With both bases installed, it should take a silver Tasco P2x20PA scope in silver Leupold QRW medium rings without overhanging the muzzle, though the height of the new front sight may interfere (we’ll just hafta see).

Tried it just now: The scope clears the top of the front sight by about a tenth of an inch. It’s good to go. If you gotta choose between being lucky and being smart, choose lucky every time.

Last edited by Exchipy; 02/24/24.

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here’s how the FastFire 3 goes on the 686:

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Great shooter I reckon.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That has to shoot like a dream.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
That has to shoot like a dream.
Haven’t really put it to the test, yet. I’m hoping for 2 MOA (1”), or better, with magnum loads using the FastFire at 50 yards. Much will depend on finding the right load.

I’m pretty sure it’ll happen, as I previously put together a .38SPL on a S&W 15 that’s shown itself quite capable with HBWC loads:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]That 2 and 3 has me scratching my head, though.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Label each cylinder.

I had an old Black Hawk, each chamber was different. I figured that’s why the accuracy wasn’t very good.

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by viking
Label each cylinder.
I had an old Black Hawk, each chamber was different. I figured that’s why the accuracy wasn’t very good.

I’m not touching that with a ten foot cattle prod.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Very nice. Always enjoy reading your posts on S&W revolver mods. Question - what holds the front of the crane / ejector rod on this setup? It doesn’t look like there is a front plunger any more on the ejector rod.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Ball and detent in the crane/frame. I have one just like it, although not quite as heavy bull barrel profile.

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cotis
Very nice. Always enjoy reading your posts on S&W revolver mods. Question - what holds the front of the crane / ejector rod on this setup? It doesn’t look like there is a front plunger any more on the ejector rod.
That’s never been of much concern to me. As long as the lower crane pivot is a properly close tolerance fit in the frame, without excessive wobble, there’s not a significant amount of lateral movement at the front of the cylinder. If you think about it, you’ll realize that the gas pressure acting upon the cylinder at the moment of firing is forcing it straight to the rear, rather than sideways. Also, keep in mind that the exalted Colt Python has no front end cylinder lock.

The absence of a front cylinder lock seems no detriment to precision shooting:

The famous S&W Hand Ejector 1st Model (the “Tripple Lock”) was really just a braggadocious exhibition of close tolerance machining achievement, rather than a required strengthening, as it was soon abandoned for being unnecessary and too expensive to produce. And, the competing Colt New Service revolvers served just as well without any front cylinder locks at all.

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Got both the irons and the red dot fairly well indexed at the local indoor range this week, standing at 50 feet (it wanted to shoot better than I was able at the time). Now, if only the weather would cooperate at the nearby outdoor range (I’ve become a fair weather shooter, it seems), I’ll try it over sandbags at 50 yards.

If my postal scale hadn’t gone toes-up, I coulda said how much it weighs. It is certainly hefty, though, and front-heavy, as you might expect.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

178 members (1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 300_savage, 444Matt, 204guy, 24 invisible), 1,752 guests, and 978 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,204
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.