Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on a Solar 470 Super Jet for fishing and maybe dipping on the Kenai, maybe the mouth of Bird and Twenty Mile, lakes, and other rivers I just want something to get around with that might give me some skinny water access as well as handling some bigger water.

I’d like to hear some opinions and further suggestions from you guys - so let ‘em rip.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ll be watching this one as I’ve been thinking about the same boat again

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have had a Solar 470 Strella for 4 years with the 50 HP Tohatsu it is the older better material model with the tough poly bottom the newer models have lesser materials. Bought mine from Jetech with the Russian sanctions Bidens war, the ones coming in now are suspect! Dont know how they are avoiding sanctions! Give me a call for more information. But love mine for all around use about 1800 # useful load. 28 MPH, 24 cruise, and 2.75 GPH, can run extreme shallow. Just keep it away from bears. Have owned the 420 Strella and 420 Vega. Kurt

Jetech site on Instagram lots of videos
https://www.instagram.com/jetechinflatables/

Last edited by kk alaska; 03/02/24.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I just picked one up too. Way better than those gay mini boats running around. Might as well put a rainbow flag on those!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Drop the mouth of Bird for several reasons...

Maybe you can get Kurt to give you a ride... listen when he says bears like them a lot.

They (like all inflatables) become nasty sails in big winds. You have not lived until you intentionally swamp your inflatable to keep it stable. Had three posters from here on one such incident. Perhaps they will chime in...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Wind and bears are issues with any inflatable, had a very scary ride last summer on the Knik, in a sudden Willowaw. I will not run it in big winds. The top tubes become a sail in the wind. fishing it in the Kenai drifting with a jet for control, tough to get it track. Same problem trolling for trout on lakes, I use a Electric trolling motor for control, slow speed with a Jet is like herding cats, but I catch more fish as lure is not at same speed and depth.

The problem with glacial river winds is the chop, cavitation, unable to read the water, and last summer I was pinned to the shore and had no control when running.

Overall tough to beat for a dual purpose boat would not use it for a dipnet boat on the lower Kenai Zoo! with a jet, would throw a kicker on it for control, in the winds and waves.

Being able to go to places like this is enough reasons to own one Knik glacier my old 420 Strella

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by kk alaska; 03/03/24.

kk alaska

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’m so glad I asked.

An inflatable seems a bad choice for what I’d like to accomplish.

…and yes Art, I be dropping the Bird’s mouth.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Why not a light weight jon boat with a 50 hp jet? Something like a Lowe Aura 1852. Kenia legal and able to run skinny water with 2 adults and a moderate amount of gear. Very stable in the water. Boat, motor, battery, and gas should weigh in around 725-750 pounds.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Why not a light weight jon boat with a 50 hp jet? Something like a Lowe Aura 1852. Kenia legal and able to run skinny water with 2 adults and a moderate amount of gear. Very stable in the water. Boat, motor, battery, and gas should weigh in around 725-750 pounds.

Tunnel is one reason, weight is another. I have a 17 ft G3 similar to what you mentioned above.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
A good combo is 2 boats 1 motor 1 trailer, 470 with Jet , and a flat bottom aluminum skiff 17 to 18 ft.

Use the Solar to play and the aluminum skiff for freight and work. Usually easier and cheaper to buy a used boat with trailer and motor. Most were older 2 stroke jets, but so many Solar jet boats were sold. the older 2 stroke, LW outboard jets are long gone!

The inflatable Solar Jet will plane and run with a lot more weight than a Aluminum jet boat just does not have the room, both have there pluses and minuses.

You are not afraid to run a Solar 470 in very skinny water versus a flat bottomed boat, a lot easier to get unstuck even by yourself. Plus with the smaller 420 you can fly it in!

Market has been completely changed since Covid years 4 Stroke Tohatsu 50 HP lightest 4 stroke used to be $6500 and available now around 10 K , try and find a boat trailer now very hard, Solar Jet Boats up about 30%. Older LW 2 Stroke outboards very tough to find and limited on where you can use them.

Last edited by kk alaska; 03/04/24.

kk alaska

IC B3

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Kurt.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[quote=Snowwolfe]

Looked at one this morning.

Does a jet become pointless without the tunnel.?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I owned a “tunnel less” jet boat for years. Used it in rivers, lakes, and salt on occasion. Not sure what I was missing but I enjoyed the rig.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 358wsm
[quote=Snowwolfe]Why not a light weight jon boat with a 50 hp jet? Something like a Lowe Aura 1852. Kenia legal and able to run skinny water with 2 adults and a moderate amount of gear. Very stable in the water. Boat, motor, battery, and gas should weigh in around 725-750 pounds.
Looked at one this morning.

Does a jet become pointless without the tunnel.?

I know we can run shallower with the CORRECT tunnel. Vs same boat and motor without... which is super important on the floodplain end of the rivers as they get to the bering bays....

Whether its important enough has to be each persons call.

I had a tunnel put in a Jon boat in TX. No jet. It never hurt the boat and it would go pretty shallow vs normal. But I have the motor a bit too high and it will cavitate on a turn in deeper rougher water at speed.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Rost,

Thank you for speaking up.. always a pleasure Sir.

I‘ll figure a tunnel similar to their Roughneck - probably build a console (maybe center and up front) for comfort (not be all twisted around).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’d one wants a tunnel on a flatboat it need to be a round one.
Square tunnels can cause problems in turns due to air and such

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by raghorn
I’d one wants a tunnel on a flatboat it need to be a round one.
Square tunnels can cause problems in turns due to air and such

Flat bottom boats can cavitate with a tunnel. But can work ok.

A 1/2 round tunnel will not work for a jet, a prop would be ok.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Johnn
I agree with you on most everything...

Sponsons on the transom are better than a tunnel. It can lead to ventilating when air gets in. Square tunnels trap water against the sides in turns with jets. It reduces the slides. A tunnel with sponsons works, also.

Sponsons keep the bow down and increase the waterline to beam ratio... the single largest factor in determining max hull speed versus applied power. Huge efficiency booster.

Cavitation involves plenty of water and a prop or jet over-revving causing bubbles to break out on the driving surface. Ventilation is air under the hull getting into the drive surfaces. Many results are similar, but not the same.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
One of my bosses talked at length about jet outboards and tunnels to people. Yup I don't know the people. But this before having one welded in one of our cold bay river boats.

I don't recall the dimensions at all of the tunnel but I think I recall it had to be smaller and shorter than I would have thought. Its square and not round.

Also has tabs on the back instead of the full on floatation sponsons. No issues with leaks there etc... my personal TX boat has floatation ones and have had no issues but no rock to poke holes here either in TX where I run it.

I can say that our boats in AK we dont' need em to slide so much, but they will slide sideways if needed under power. They rarely cavitate at all unless we get really rough water which is not that common in a river thats not so wide.

And again, we definitely run shallower with the tunnel than before we had them welded in. In fact trying to get a non tunnel boat back to town one day is its been replaced with a tunnel one last fall.

Whats often worse on the rivers is the jets dealing with weeds in the water... On the creeks that are only about 2-3 boats wide, sometimes we can't avoid spots of grass etc... its much more of an issue than any of the others. But thats jet life.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The tunnel on the 470 Strella has squared sides, the 470 Super Jet about 4 " wider has a rounded tunnel. The SJ will carry more load and does not like rough water, slides like a standard jet. The 470 Strella has a different hull design does better in chop and does not slide in turns runs like a conventional boat. The SJ will run a little shallower in my experience. Both will run in scary shallow water, very capable boat for exploring.

Last edited by kk alaska; 03/06/24.

kk alaska

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by kk alaska
The tunnel on the 470 Strella has squared sides, the 470 Super Jet about 4 " wider has a rounded tunnel. The SJ will carry more load and does not like rough water, slides like a standard jet. The 470 Strella has a different hull design does better in chop and does not slide in turns runs like a conventional boat. The SJ will run a little shallower in my experience. Both will run in scary shallow water, very capable boat for exploring.
Pretty crazy schitt right there.
I'll know where the bear schitts in the buckwheat when I watch him go DOWNSTREAM.
That's your pucker factor and I notice that they don't show any of that.

For those that haven't run whitewater, you have "brakes" going upstream and it's easier to pick your way through rapids.
Going downstream you have no brakes and the river is harder to read from that direction.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jeremiah Crawford who owns Reformed Automotive in Anchorage is a dealer for Stryker boats now. It's another option and he claims they are built tougher than the new Solars.

FB link

Alaska Adventure Boats Website

I've been real happy with my little Alweld 1752. It has a tunnel and pods on it. It's not the fastest boat, but it runs real shallow and I've used it hunting and fishing all over the road system.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ptarmigan, checked out a vid on the stryker youtube channel. Looks like a Russian inflatable clone. Geezus christ, talk about "unoriginal". Where are these made? A 25hp jet, wtf is anyone gonna haul with that, 3 beers and a caribou?

On that russian garbage: I'm unimpressed of that vid fu kin off in a boulder garden with no weight in the boat, pointless.

Stryker dude said "one piece aluminum transom" like 2 dozen times, as if that's some sort of ground-breaking accomplishment.

July 2016, I was running 1 piece aluminum transoms. Gawd I've seen some newcomer-fads "come and go":

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 03/06/24.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Those 2016 boats were getting s hit done and are still on the water. Before any of these instagram floaty-queens were around.

One boat ran over 900 river miles to Arctic Village(wont do that with a jet):

https://chasingpiggens.com/adventures/tanana-yukon-chandalar-2017/

The other 2 2016 boats were stacking 60+ inch mother fkn monsters. One guy hauled his buddy's 55 incher with the 60+ incher, IN ONE LOAD(those silly mini- jets wont do this either):

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 03/06/24.
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
“..Instagram floaty Queens..”🤣🤣🤣

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Ptarmigan, checked out a vid on the stryker youtube channel. Looks like a Russian inflatable clone. Geezus christ, talk about "unoriginal". Where are these made? A 25hp jet, wtf is anyone gonna haul with that, 3 beers and a caribou?

On that russian garbage: I'm unimpressed of that vid fu kin off in a boulder garden with no weight in the boat, pointless.

Stryker dude said "one piece aluminum transom" like 2 dozen times, as if that's some sort of ground-breaking accomplishment.

July 2016, I was running 1 piece aluminum transoms. Gawd I've seen some newcomer-fads "come and go":

LOL, I like your style! I do like those freighters you build. Growing up in Downeast we had Grand lakers, which I’m sure inspired your desire. I loved trolling for salmon and togue out of one of those!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Fk no man! Those canvas over wood boats that those faux-country twatts run down there wouldn't last for 5 minutes up here.

A full-throttle tobogganing over gravel riffle, loaded down with moose. That requires at least a narrow flat bottom and far more radical construction.

The yukon, kandik, nation, tatonduk(sheep) and Charley rivers are what shaped my boats.

Then there's those silly, frail race sleds tugged by fkn purse dogs. The "freight" builds extended into winter...........

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 03/08/24.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lotsa guys I work with have Solars and more than a few,have a few. They all LOVE them,though they are a tool for niches. None would have one in my AO and I get that. Hint.

These guys race/finish The Iditarod and a very good pard won this year's Irondog. Hint.

Solars have accounted for many Book Mooseses,Caribouski and Sheep. Hint............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
\when I watch him go DOWNSTREAM.
That's your pucker factor and I notice that they don't show any of that.

For those that haven't run whitewater, you have "brakes" going upstream and it's easier to pick your way through rapids.
Going downstream you have no brakes and the river is harder to read from that direction.[/quote]

Owner of Mclaren River lodge on the Denali Highway has a couple of the Solars and runs Aluminum Jet Boats to ferry rafts back upstream for his clients. He told me that he is always on edge and nervous when he runs his Aluminum boats. When he runs the Solar he takes videos. They get on step at around 12 MPH float high over obstacles and slide when they hit something. Kind of a bumper car. The ability to go slow is huge. The older Solars have a very tough poly bottom that is very slick. All boats have there
pluses and minuses they work for my use.

kk alaska

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Solar seems like a fun boat for exploring, fishing, and playing around. I just don’t see it as a serious contender for moose hunting. Not enough space to carry all your gear, plus gas. Then if you kill a moose you have even more to carry as well as needing enough gas to get back home..

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Lots of Moose hunters with the Solar would disagree with that. The 470 will run well with about 2K total weight on step around 12 to 14 MPH, at about 3 GPH at 20 mph you don't need a lot of fuel for that.
The Jetech pictures shows a lot of pictures of that.

https://www.instagram.com/jetechinflatables/

kk alaska

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Snowwolfe,

I'm going to put that theory of being unable to run rivers with enough fuel and cargo capacity to the test this September. I'll try to document the data so that anyone else can do it as well. You may be right that it is particularly difficult to do but it'll be fun as heck to see what happens!

KK,

If you know of anyone who is running a Yamaha jet there is a company called nizpromarine.com that does remapping of the ECU and makes them more powerful and efficient. Might be worth looking into for a long trip where efficiency matters most.

Cheers,

Bob

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Iceking,
Are you going solo or is there another boat in the group? How far do you plan on traveling on the river?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Bob what boat are you getting? When you get it and water opens up give me a call and we will run the Knik! Kurt

kk alaska

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
FYI, Alaska Series is coming out with a raft to compete with the Solar. Just had Jim King patch a raft and he told me that it will handle a 35 HP on a 50 horse power head, has a tunnel and an aluminum floor. He said it will be much more durable and have more bottom surface space between transom and the end of the tubes, like on his jet ranger rafts. Plans looked good to me. He said it would be out this spring and is not attending the sportsman's show.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well I put my hands on a Wooldridge Alaskan XL 18’ today…I think I might be in love.

My concern, and question, is whether or not a 50 hp has enough nut to get her up on step…especially moving against current.

Thoughts.?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
With a prop lightly loaded will do OK with a Jet with a New impeller and sleeve, lightly loaded it will always be underpowered. Loaded heavy a real dog. Buddy had one with a 85 Jet Yamaha and it needed more heavy loaded.
Great video that shows differences between the 470 Solar Strella and 470 Super Jet

Last edited by kk alaska; 03/15/24.

kk alaska

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The XL is a great boat for running rivers with a heavy load. At 50 hp you will be pretty disappointed unless you are the only one in the boat with minimum gear.
With the right motor on the XL it will carry a huge load. I had Glen build me a 23 foot XL for running up to the Koyukuk for moose hunting. Added a 200 hp Optimax prop on the back. It would carry 2 guys, a ton of gear, and 375 gallons of gas on deck and get on step easily.
Running back to the haul road bridge most of the gas would be gone but we had two moose and our gear and the boat would hit 38-40 mph.

Ditch the 50 and buy the biggest motor the boat is rated for.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well I put my hands on a Wooldridge Alaskan XL 18’ today…I think I might be in love.

My concern, and question, is whether or not a 50 hp has enough nut to get her up on step…especially moving against current.

Thoughts.?
It will get on step far more easily against the current. It may not go much faster than the current but that is the beauty of running upstream versus down.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The Wooldridge XL:

1/4” hull thickness.
29” side height
Max tiller prop 90 hp.

Total weight 1050 lbs.

———————————-

The Wooldridge LT

1/8” hill thickness
21” side height
Max tiller prop 70 hp.

Total weight 740 lbs.
———————————

There’s a 310 lb weight difference right there.
The LT is a third of the weight of the XL.

It’s almost like a guy needs either two motors - or - two (or three) boats.

Or… he’s got to determine just exactly what he would need, or be satisfied with on the Kenai.

Chances are, he could do well on the Kenai with a tin cup like a Lowe Aura at 475 lbs and a .072” hull….

I just want to get out and away from the combat crowd (100’ away, and more, would be satisfying), pull over to the weeds, get out, and flip away.

I really don’t dip net much, preferring to flip, but I’ve got family and they could benefit from the bounty of a day netting.

I’m on a carpenter’s budget. Facts. But I’d pay for what would work satisfactorily.

Wouldn’t just a beater tin cup with a 50 get the job done.?
What would I be missing by running a lightweight beater over a Wooldridge as per the Kenai.?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
[quote=kk alaska]A good combo is 2 boats 1 motor 1 trailer, 470 with Jet , and a flat bottom aluminum skiff 17 to 18 ft.

Use the Solar to play and the aluminum skiff for freight and work. Usually easier and cheaper to buy a used boat with trailer and motor. Most were older 2 stroke jets, but so many Solar jet boats were sold. the older 2 stroke, LW outboard jets are long gone!

The inflatable Solar Jet will plane and run with a lot more weight than a Aluminum jet boat just does not have the room, both have there pluses and minuses.

kk alaska

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
KK,

Thanks for sticking with me here.

So, I see a lot of “bigger” boats dipping on the Kenai. Seems that they’re able to push those heavier boats back upstream to the back of the line..with 50s.
No, they’re not getting up on step, or setting any speed records, but they are making the rounds with an obvious undersized motor.

Last time I went was on a buddy’s 24’ ocean boat that we use for setting pots.
That particular boat weighs a lot, and runs two 225 outboards when in the salt.
Again, no speed records, but with the 50 it would run the loop.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
After the Friday EO Massacre one would have to ask "Why the Kenai?" It is crowded and without king fishing of any kind this year and likely for quite a while it brings it down to reds and silvers. Both of which can be gotten a lot closer...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do you plan to run the Kenai other than dip netting? The last 4+ miles are unrestricted for motor horsepower. If your only plan is to dipnet, pick the motor that best fits the boat and stay below the markers. (Signs on both riverbanks). You will be much happier and safer utilizing your boat other places the rest of the year.

Last edited by JimInAK; 03/17/24.
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
After the Friday EO Massacre one would have to ask "Why the Kenai?" It is crowded…

Hey Art, almost gave you a call yesterday.

Yes it’s crowded. And that is one of the main reasons I’m looking at boats… My fantasy is to be able to boat away from the crowd, even 100’ would be great…either drop anchor, or step out and start flipping.
As you, and everyone else knows, there’s a hole downstream of the island behind the sports complex that holds fish, but a hundred yards downstream from the end of the island there is a bend. I’d like to access that bend (as well as some other “away from the crowd spots).

As per “closer” waters…well….I’m not familiar with those waters - yet.

I guess I just figured (fantasized) that if I had a little boat that I’d be able to accomplish my river flipping and MAYBE even be able to dip “if” I wanted to.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
as somebody who's fished the Kenai pretty extensively, I hate to burst your bubble, but its getting pretty dam hard to find that spot you have in your mind. With no kings to fish, the guides all turned to doing flip and rip trips, 2 or even 3 a day and they plug up the best, or even fair spots early and stay till late.
And if you are able to find a spot to get out and flip with some piece, 2 or 3 boats will show up and now you're still combat fishing.

As far as the Wooldridge and a 50HP, it'll work. I have a Willie Predator with the T50 and while it doesn't win any races, it'll work. I'd love to be able to hang a 115 on it, but no go unless the rules get changed.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Steve that is why I fish the lakes for Rainbows lots of fun and little pressure.

kk alaska

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
as somebody who's fished the Kenai pretty extensively, I hate to burst your bubble, but its getting pretty dam hard to find that spot you have in your mind. With no kings to fish, the guides all turned to doing flip and rip trips, 2 or even 3 a day and they plug up the best, or even fair spots early and stay till late.
And if you are able to find a spot to get out and flip with some piece, 2 or 3 boats will show up and now you're still combat fishing.

+1

Many of the lodges/guides will even go so far as to dump their staff on the shore in the wee hours of the morning to fish and hold the spots until they return with clients.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know guys who are starting trips at 3am. to get "their spot" One guy will shuttle clients back and forth to the launch all day while another guide stays on the bar with clients and nets their fish.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Really good, and insightful, post.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Really good, and insightful, post.
Steve has more than a clue...

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you, Art.
You’re quite the well spring of knowledge yourself and I highly value your opinions and insight.

Seems my fantasy is just that “a fantasy.
Steve has throughly burst my bubble and any illusions of escaping the combat on the Kenai….yet I am grateful for the knowledge.

I believe I’ll look for something that’ll run fairly skinny water (without hamstringing the rig with a little 50 go) and have some fun….maybe explore some of the interior waters up north. I’ll do my part at reducing some of the Norther Pike, find some Grayling, and ‘Bows. And of course putt around the mouth of 20 Mile during the Hollie run.
I see Dewey’s has some MVJTs hanging around…might think 115/80.

I’ve been here in Homer since January, and last week the Winter King dance was in full swing - I’ve got to say, I’ve rather taken a liking to that area as well.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Oh, no. You’re a Homeroid!
😏

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
Oh, no. You’re a Homeroid!
😏

Indeed I certainly could become one.🤣

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
358wsm, hit me up this summer and I'll take you for a first hand sightseeing trip.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
358wsm, hit me up this summer and I'll take you for a first hand sightseeing trip.

Very gracious of you to make that offer - I’d be honored.
Thank you.!

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Alright, so I looked at a SeaArk 1872 MV today.
They’d be mating it to a Yamaha F-115/80 propped yet including the lower jet unit.

Thoughts.?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Should be a useful boat for all freshwater except the Kenai

kk alaska

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[quote=kk alaska]Should be a useful boat for all freshwater except the Kenai[/quote

Does the 20” transom height concern you.?

It does me for some reason.

Couldn’t I raise/build up that height and run everything off the jack plate.?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The 115 Yammie probably weighs close to 400 pounds. Does anyone make an electric jack plate that will raise and lower it enough to handle both the prop and jet without removing the motor?

Kurt, have you ever tackled 20 mile with your Solar rig?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 115 Yammie probably weighs close to 400 pounds. Does anyone make an electric jack plate that will raise and lower it enough to handle both the prop and jet without removing the motor?

Kurt, have you ever tackled 20 mile with your Solar rig?

Yes, no problem with that. We mounted Dan's 250's with jack plates. They were manual ones, but I've seen electric/hydraulic jack plates that would handle those kind of loads too.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Does anyone make an electric jack plate that will raise and lower it enough to handle both the prop and jet without removing the motor?

PowrTran Magnum E-6

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’ve seen it done, via YouTube.

Any idea how far up the Hooligan run.?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
358 all except the Kenai the HP restriction of 50 HP

Randy lots run the 20 mile in Solar inflatables and similar boats, I haven't easier to run the Knik from Eagle River.

There may be some Inflatable Jet Boats at the Sportsman Show this weekend if the vendors can afford the tariff!
If you want one this summer you better get one early boats and motors take a lot of lead time!

Link on news from Jetechinflatables where I buy my Solar Boats

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5YycBIJUWy/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Last edited by kk alaska; 04/05/24.

kk alaska

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks KK,

After it was tallied up, SeaArk 1872, Yamaha 115/80 (with jet lower), and trailer.
They slipped me a quote of 42K 😬

(I about shytt myself 😳)

—————

I’ve been looking over the ATEC recently. I can buy directly any bypass the 110% dealer mark up…just not sure by how much.

Yes, I’m planning on being at the show this weekend.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Even an Inflatable boat, motor and trailer new about 20 to 24K things are spendy now! And not much is available.

kk alaska

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks KK,

After it was tallied up, SeaArk 1872, Yamaha 115/80 (with jet lower), and trailer.
They slipped me a quote of 42K 😬

(I about shytt myself 😳)

—————

I’ve been looking over the ATEC recently. I can buy directly any bypass the 110% dealer mark up…just not sure by how much.

Yes, I’m planning on being at the show this weekend.

Those SeaArk are hell for stout, I'd pick one over an Atec and day of the week.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Not having seen an ATEC, I appreciate your comparative insight. Thank you.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
There was a skiff at the Great Alaskan Sportman Show around 27 k just glanced at it, and did not see any vendors with inflatable jet boats rather disappointing show.

Talked to a Forest Service enforcement person about the Solar Boats, and he said one went up the Snow River and helped rescue an airboat, did not know it was legal to run a power boat up that river and it has been on my bucket list! Going to make it happen.

kk alaska

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Kurt,
Remember the days of the Great Alaskan boat show held at the Sullivan arena? The entire inside was packed with boats and they were scattered all around the arena in the parking lot.
That was a good boat show

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
There was a booth at the show advocating a lead ban in Alaska as in all copper bullets like California, they asked me if was a hunter
and I said only with lead! Just do not support a total ban on lead through a law change and wonder who is behind this.

kk alaska

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not having seen an ATEC, I appreciate your comparative insight. Thank you.
It's been a while, and maybe they've improved, but I talk5to a couple kenai guys who had ATECs and they weren't impressed. They all said they had wished they had spen5the extra Mohandas bought a Willie, North River, Alumaweld or other such. Said they were lightweight and flexed in the transom and didn't bite well in a turn. More of a slide.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Then reason I bought a Solar Inflatable Jet Boat was access to Alaskan outdoors! Limited road access and expansion of no access, the Inflatable Jet boats allow a lot more access to Alaska, think of a boat that's like a Super cub.

Little fuel usage and hi load capacity it has drawbacks but what boat does not.

kk alaska

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (10gaugeman, 1337Fungi, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 21, 50 invisible), 2,208 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,767
Posts18,476,729
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.