Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Color me stumped. I am reloading .308 Lapua brass with both Barnes and Hammer bullets. Brass was prepped with a Redding body die, and necks were sized using a Lee neck sizing die. I checked my brass after those steps and runout is basically nonexistent. I am then using a Forster Micro-seating die, and I am getting runout that fluctuates between essentially zero, to some that approach .007. I'm seating them carefully. I've tried seating part-way, turning the cartridge, and then seating the remainder of the way. The runout seems pretty random to me, as there are loads that are perfect. Any thoughts?

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by drakecasey
Color me stumped. I am reloading .308 Lapua brass with both Barnes and Hammer bullets. Brass was prepped with a Redding body die, and necks were sized using a Lee neck sizing die. I checked my brass after those steps and runout is basically nonexistent. I am then using a Forster Micro-seating die, and I am getting runout that fluctuates between essentially zero, to some that approach .007. I'm seating them carefully. I've tried seating part-way, turning the cartridge, and then seating the remainder of the way. The runout seems pretty random to me, as there are loads that are perfect. Any thoughts?

Strange, I'm using run of the mill cheap RCBS FL dies, that you can buy at Wally world. Those dies produce .003" and less TIR. That is with Sig Sauer 308win brass (since you are asking about 308 win). What concentricity gauge are you using? Sounds like your seater may not be adjusted properly, as that is when the poor TIR is seen in your set up. According to the OP.

A while back, my girlfriend was watching me load some ammo, and she asked a very valid question. She was wondering why my ammo shoots so much better than factor ammo. I pulled my concentricity gauge out, showed her how to use it. Had her spin some of her factory loaded .223 ammo for her AR, and the needle was jumping all over the place. I then handed her a box of my 308 win loads with 175 SMK's. She put one of those in the concentricity gauge, spun it, and said the gauge was broken. She said the "needle" was not moving. I said, dang it, try another one. She said, "same thing". I said, try a few more, you'll find one where the dial goes up a little bit. I then had to explain to her, what she was seeing. The ones where the "needle" was not moving, or just barely going up were the ones that were perfectly straight and very concentric. I told her that all of my ammo is like that, because I have my dies adjusted to minimize runout.

Moral of the story: You don't need fancy or expensive dies to produce absolutely straight ammo. You also don't need Lapua brass either. There are other brands of brass out there, that has worked just fine for years.

A lot of concentricity issues most guys see is because they don't have their dies set up properly.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Measure your neck walls all around with a ball mic.

I'm betting odds you'll find your "concentricity problem".

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had the same issue. Usually my runout after bullet seating is 0 to 0.005. I straighten everything to 0.002 or better. OCD......

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
bsa1917hunter
OK, what is the secret with RCBS FL dies????

That is all I use for reloading, but never tried to check runout.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I would verify that all of the cases have uniform case mouth chamfer. I prefer a VLD chamfer tool. Verify the the case holder grooves are clean.

I would also clean the inside of the bullet seating plug and check that the bullet tip is not bottoming out inside the plug and causing a random tilt. If it is there may be a deeper VLD type plug available, or the existing one can be carefully drilled out to add clearance.

Last edited by MikeS; 03/03/24.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When you take the case neck and mash it down in a sizing die, the outside is perfectly concentric. The imperfections are being pushed into the inside of the neck. Then you seat a bullet that is encountering those imperfections in neck thickness as it is seated. No matter what brass you use, this is a thing.

The real question is, "how does the rifle shoot?" I've not found runout of up to around 0.007" to really make a hill of beans' difference in my rifles. Watch F-Class John and Erik Cortina, National and World Champion F-Class shooters respectively, and neither seems to think runout is that important, either. I did a blind experiment with Federal Gold Medal Match .308 Winchester. I measured runout of about 100 rounds of the same lot number. I took the twenty worst and sorted them in one lot. They ranged from 0.007-0.012" runout. I took the best lot of twenty that ranged from 0.000-0.003". I put them in identical boxes and marked the inside as the "good" box and the "bad" box. Outside the box there were no distinguishable differences. When I got to the range, I marked left target on one, and right target on the other. I shot five round groups for the entire box. There was no discernable difference in a factory 700 PSS. Both boxes grouped under 0.75" aggregate.

If you want every round to be perfect, you need to first turn necks to eliminate inconsistencies in neck thickness. I find that turning to 0.013-0.014" usually eliminates any irregularities and provides a uniform, clean release. Make sure to anneal brass every single time and do so exactly the same; not too long because brass will get too ductile. If you can afford an AMP, that is the best method. When setting up your FL die, make sure you bump your shoulder back consistently, with around 0.002" of set-back. You need to size with a bushing to size 0.002" but not use a resizing expander. Follow-up with an expander mandrel of 0.002" under bore diameter. I highly recommend trim/chamfur/deburr in one step with a trimmer that indexes off the shoulder and does not use a pilot. After that, lube the inside of the neck with something like Neolube #2. When you seat the bullet, use a in-line chamber die on an arbor press. IF you do not have one, a "competition" seater with a seating plug designed to match bullet design works well (you can even lap them to better match your specific bullet). That is how to get the best runout numbers on a gauge. This process won't necessarily make your groups smaller.

Last edited by drop_point; 03/03/24.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
...because I have my dies adjusted to minimize runout.

Moral of the story: You don't need fancy or expensive dies to produce absolutely straight ammo. You also don't need Lapua brass either. There are other brands of brass out there, that has worked just fine for years.

A lot of concentricity issues most guys see is because they don't have their dies set up properly.

What adjustments have you performed specifically to minimize runout?

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FWIW I FL size my Lapua .308 in my Redding bushing die without an expanding ball, and seat with my Redding Competition seater. I expect no more than .002 runout when randomly checked. It is usually in the .001 to .0015 range. I would not be concerned with significantly higher numbers if the rifle chamber has minimal clearance in its throat diameter though.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
She's been rather busy,trying to get 108's in her 6x45 upper,the poor poor(literally) STUPID Fhuqk. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
OP said he's using a LCD for sizing the neck - so the INSIDE is perfectly concentric. If the outside is concentric too, then it's good brass - he said it's Lapua.

Originally Posted by drop_point
When you take the case neck and mash it down in a sizing die, the outside is perfectly concentric. The imperfections are being pushed into the inside of the neck. Then you seat a bullet that is encountering those imperfections in neck thickness as it is seated. No matter what brass you use, this is a thing.

Brass was prepped with a Redding body die, and necks were sized using a Lee neck sizing die. I checked my brass after those steps and runout is basically nonexistent.

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by MikeS

I would verify that all of the cases have uniform case mouth chamfer. I prefer a VLD chamfer tool. Verify the the case holder grooves are clean.

I would also clean the inside of the bullet seating plug and check that the bullet tip is not bottoming out inside the plug and causing a random tilt. If it is there may be a deeper VLD type plug available, or the existing one can be carefully drilled out to add clearance.

Agree that it is likely the long copper bullet bottoming out in the seating stem. Take your seating stem out and set it on a bullet and see if it bottoms out. Try it again with a lead core bullet and you should be able to tell the difference.

Can also see a crooked or inconsistent chamfer causing more resistance on one side when seating. I had to get a vld chamfer tool to get Barnes bullets to seat well in my 7-08 cases. I think on that one my expander ball might be undersize and making seating harder.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The simple process of partially seating a bullet in the case, then rotate the case, seat further down, rotate, then finish seating also reduces runout. Stepped seating reduces runout to about half of what happens when seating in one single motion

Last edited by Gaschekt; 03/03/24.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
The simple process of partially seating a bullet in the case, then rotate the case, seat further down, rotate, then finish seating also reduces runout. Stepped seating reduces runout to about half of what happens when seating in one single motion

Have you proven this with runout tests on the same batch of brass?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Are you compressing your chosen powder charge?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
OP said he's using a LCD for sizing the neck - so the INSIDE is perfectly concentric. If the outside is concentric too, then it's good brass - he said it's Lapua.

Brass was prepped with a Redding body die, and necks were sized using a Lee neck sizing die. I checked my brass after those steps and runout is basically nonexistent.

Explain to me, if you will, how the Lee neck die makes the inside of the neck perfectly concentric. Explain to me how you can get perfectly concentric Lapua brass.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gaschekt

I've done this experiment with a large sample. No measurable difference in runout.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Where are you measuring runout on the loaded cartridge?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Explain to me, if you will, how the Lee neck die makes the inside of the neck perfectly concentric. Explain to me how you can get perfectly concentric Lapua brass.
With a bushing die, the concentric bushing results in a uniform OD of the case neck, pushing irregularities to the inside. With a collet die, the concentric mandrel ensures uniformity of the ID of the case neck, pushing irregularities to the outside.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

With a bushing die, the concentric bushing results in a uniform OD of the case neck, pushing irregularities to the inside. With a collet die, the concentric mandrel ensures uniformity of the ID of the case neck, pushing irregularities to the outside.

I was under the impression the Lee die uses collets with fingers over a mandrel. If he is measuring runout on the neck and getting zeros after this process, the inside cannot also be zeros unless he's turned the necks. Even Lapua brass has thickness variation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

452 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 16gage, 160user, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 2,741 guests, and 1,402 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,753
Posts18,476,304
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.