Campfire Regular
B
Egg sucking leech. (purple-red)

Texas bred and born
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
For me down here in the salt it would be a clouser minnow. Color would depend on the color of the water. Clousers seem to catch about any thing. Very much a confidence fly for me. White and chartreuse or white and pink will cover about all needs. I keep two different weights and unweighted in any box I take.

Last edited by Boarmaster123; 09/11/23.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by troutfly
Soft hackles, particularly a Grouse and Orange or Partridge and Olive as a close second. Tied very, very sparsely.

These are my favorites, too.

I’d have to find some grouse hackles in order to tie a Grouse and Orange. But I use the heck out of Partridge and Olives. Partridge and Orange are in the fly box as well.

Another reliable fly for me is one I pretty much swiped from Frank Sawyer. Shetland Leprechaun wool body and a black nickel bead head. I use thread and not wire. I tie it extra extra chubby in the fall for panfish action, and normally dressed for trout. There are lots of Caddis around here, so I’m sure that’s what the trout think it is. I have no idea what the bluegill and bass think it is, other than a nice easy meal…

If it came down to just one fly. As in one particular fly, and not a pattern, it would have to be the Elk Hair Caddis tied by RickR for a campfire fly swap. I’m fairly confident in saying that one fly accounted for about a hundred fish. Sure, most were bluegill, but it also caught trout and bass. I lost it to a fish… That one fly had mojo out the wazoo. Enough that I think of it a dozen years later.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Elk Hair Caddis is a good choice anywhere you go. I always try to have a few in various different sizes when I am unsure what's hatching as is an Adams and Royal Wuff.
Using a dropper such as a Telico nymph helps when unsure.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Kelljp
Elk Hair Caddis is a good choice anywhere you go. I always try to have a few in various different sizes when I am unsure what's hatching as is an Adams and Royal Wuff.
Using a dropper such as a Telico nymph helps when unsure.

Plus 1-----Floats great, easy to see and works great when no hatch going on---A Do All Fly!

Hip

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
#12 Olive Hares Ear

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Soft hackles, particularly a Grouse and Orange or Partridge and Olive as a close second. Tied very, very sparsely.

I’d have to find some grouse hackles in order to tie a Grouse and Orange. But I use the heck out of Partridge and Olives. Partridge and Orange are in the fly box as well.

Another reliable fly for me is one I pretty much swiped from Frank Sawyer. Shetland Leprechaun wool body and a black nickel bead head. I use thread and not wire. I tie it extra extra chubby in the fall for panfish action, and normally dressed for trout. There are lots of Caddis around here, so I’m sure that’s what the trout think it is. I have no idea what the bluegill and bass think it is, other than a nice easy meal…

If it came down to just one fly. As in one particular fly, and not a pattern, it would have to be the Elk Hair Caddis tied by RickR for a campfire fly swap. I’m fairly confident in saying that one fly accounted for about a hundred fish. Sure, most were bluegill, but it also caught trout and bass. I lost it to a fish… That one fly had mojo out the wazoo. Enough that I think of it a dozen years later.

Can't go wrong using Partridge either! I'll occasionally use some crazy, speckled soft hen hackle I acquired years ago in place of Grouse. Every grouse of Hun I kill, I pluck out a Zip-lock bag full of neck and body feathers for flies. I really need to shoot a Blue grouse though. Would love to tie soft hackles with thier feathers. Very unique colouration. Great eating too!
Some very cool feathers on a Ringneck pheasant as well.
Jeff

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

To get the original grouse for a grouse and orange you need the red grouse of Europe... or as we call them here, willow ptarmigan. Same bird.

If you need grouse of any flavor let me know.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Renegade

Old guy, old guns.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Wine and brown leech here.

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Dry flies-- black tail, peacock body, and brown and grizzly hackle.

NRA Endowment Member
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Royal coachman

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I like the fact that people are still using the old, classic fly patterns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm in the corner of my nymphs of choice are gold ribbed hare's ear, pheasant tail and prince. My dries of choise are parachute adams and elk hair caddis. I feel if I had to pick only five flies for the rest of my life, it would be those five.

The black or olive wooly bugger are "almost" universally accepted as the "if only one" fly. However after 5 decades of fly fishing I have tried those hundreds of times. I'm sure I am the only guy never to have caught a fish on a wooly bugger. Although, based on its popularity and clear successful history, I will continue to try. I even love the book True Love and the Wooly Bugger.

Oh, I almost forgot, my "Go-to fly" is a bead head gold ribbed hare's ear nymph.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Renegade

Old guy, old guns.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by StGeorger
Renegade

I'll "double down on that! Double Renegade, out West and "trolled" with a small flasher... deadly on Lakes!!!
Big Sky, probably not traditional enough for you but the same goes for that old olive wooly worm/bugger... both will put fresh "filets" on the menu for that evening!

Rarer occasions... Royal Coachman, Polar fly, "Scuds" fished the same way.

Dry fly on the river... Adams Irresistable, Renegade, Elk Hair caddis.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm not fly fishing much anymore. Mountain streams I'd always start with a yellow Humpy. More delicate waters and Adams. Pretty pedestrian, but it usually worked!

Last edited by longarm; 02/22/24. Reason: Typo
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Orange rubber spider

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Irresistible

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For 90 percent of my fishing in the small streams and creeks here I use a #14 brown nymph. Either a seals fur like pattern, but tied with any brown dubbing I have, or a pheasant tail. Sometimes I add a flashback, especially on the pheasant tail. I read somewhere that 80% of a trout's diet is taken sub surface so a well placed nymph seems to do the trick.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 2,295 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,819
Posts18,477,741
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.