Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Unless you get a custom barrel most barrels are overpassed IMHO>. Built to work period so no one has issues. I get that. But I'd rather it be under gassed and I can open that port as needed with bits. But that isn't for everyone..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
nice to have a deep pocket sponsor. lol Good info though.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Unless you get a custom barrel most barrels are overpassed IMHO>. Built to work period so no one has issues. I get that. But I'd rather it be under gassed and I can open that port as needed with bits. But that isn't for everyone..

I have a newbie question. If say your bolt cracks a lug, or your gas key fails, can you just replace either the bolt or BCG or do you need to check headspace in either or both cases as I suspect?

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
There really is no excuse for anyone wanting an AR “that works” not to have one. Even snobs like me that love colt and fn chromed barrels and $300 BCG’s might want one of these just to keep in the trunk of your Tesla while shopping down town.
Thats a [bleep] slap... Tesla.....
FWIW we haven't owned a car since the wife wanted to play with a Mustang around 94... I don't see us ever owning a car period again. YMMV.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
The barrel was a copper mine.

I would like to see it cleaned ,
gas rings cost a few cents, an idiot could replace them.
Do that too.

Let's see what happens then.
Everyone talks Colt, FN, Knight.
How about we really treat the PSA like a military gun would be treated.
Not likely to fire 3k rounds without cleaning.
Pretty certain if the gas rings fail the test, they would be replaced.

There was a bit of value in the test, but it deserves a cleaning before the barrel is
declared toast. Gas rings if it needs them. $10 in parts and supplies would likely
have it back in business.

If it was a $3k dollar gun, it probably would have been mechanically better.
They wouldn't have proclaimed a MK12 toast without cleaning it.
What I took away is that if you can abuse an upper like that and it makes 3000 rounds, its good enough for most people. Yes it could have been done differently. But then again we have shot barrels to the almost 5000 round mark without cleaning too just to watch accuracy on good barrels. Yes the upper got wiped now and then and the bolt re lubed. But those barrels did not degrade so they evidently are better barrels.

I've noted life depends on lots of factors. Cleaning the barrel is one that just tends not to make enough difference UNLESS you get bad spots of carbon fouling.

Deferring to your knowledge.

Was busy getting ready for work near the end, did I miss something. The only thing really bad in the borescope was fouling. Was the gator skin enough to destroy accuracy to that extent?

Another take.

$3-400 bought 3000 good rounds.

If one were to consider that upper well paid for(free at this point. A $300 barrel, $150 BCG, a few bucks for a gas tube…$500 and you now have a high quality upper. Phoenix rising from the ashes?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
There really is no excuse for anyone wanting an AR “that works” not to have one. Even snobs like me that love colt and fn chromed barrels and $300 BCG’s might want one of these just to keep in the trunk of your Tesla while shopping down town.
FWIW we haven't owned a car since the wife wanted to play with a Mustang around 94... I don't see us ever owning a car period again. YMMV.

Do that too.

There was a bit of value in the test, but it deserves a cleaning before the barrel is
declared toast. Gas rings if it needs them. $10 in parts and supplies would likely

What I took away is that if you can abuse an upper like that and it makes 3000 rounds, its good enough for most people. Yes it could have been done differently. But then again we have shot barrels to the almost 5000 round mark without cleaning too just to watch accuracy on good barrels. Yes the upper got wiped now and then and the bolt re lubed. But those barrels did not degrade so they evidently are better barrels.

I've noted life depends on lots of factors. Cleaning the barrel is one that just tends not to make enough difference UNLESS you get bad spots of carbon fouling.

Was busy getting ready for work near the end, did I miss something. The only thing really bad in the borescope was fouling. Was the gator skin enough to destroy accuracy to that extent?

Another take.

If one were to consider that upper well paid for(free at this point. A $300 barrel, $150 BCG, a few bucks for a gas tube…$500 and you now have a high quality upper. Phoenix rising from the ashes?

If they gauged the muzzle it's likely it's over sized.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
It's a testament to what a good design the AR is.

Even a low budget, loose-spec'd upper like a PSA, maintained good accuracy and reliability through 5K rounds of hard use at mostly full auto, suppressed, and minimal lubing.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Pappy348

I have a newbie question. If say your bolt cracks a lug, or your gas key fails, can you just replace either the bolt or BCG or do you need to check headspace in either or both cases as I suspect?
I haven't found a BCG/barrel extension combo yet that didn't achieve an acceptable headspace. I suppose it could happen, but isn't likely.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have go/no go gauges and check headspace if a new bolt or barrel is installed. So far no problems. I think it's unlikely to be an issue but it's a little safer to check.

On the original question, I'd guess that most bargain AR-15's will run a long time if normal maintenance is done. At some point you'll need a new barrel or a bolt lug will crack, but that's probably at least 5000 rounds and maybe 10.000 depending on how it's used and what the user's accuracy requirements are. The cost of that much ammunition is far greater than the cost of the rifle, so I think it makes sense to get a better quality rifle but that's just me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks guys.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
We need to remember that it wasn't always the case of buying cheap and it working out. I remember a DPMS 1000 round burn down that caught the hand guards on fire and melted the gas tube in to before it was done. But that didn't keep the bolt release I had from them from snapping in half. Then there was the Bushmaster commercial RE that snapped at the threads. I could go on with a few more things but it's nice to see PSA is procuring some decent parts and charging a great price on their stuff.

I need a youtube channel and an ammo sponsor like Mike has.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Do that too.

Another take.

Carbon fouling can wreak things. Pressure and accuracy. Copper fouling not so much IMHO. Like not enough to make it look like a dead barrel.

Gator skin will always be there. Just gets worse.

We polished our barrels now and again with diamond paste. To try to smooth out the throat area. Fire lapping would be about the same too. Never got that far.

But for the most part there wasn't a lot of difference between often cleaned barrels and not so often when talking accuracy or barrel life that I could ever tell.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Carbon fouling is hygroscopic and will pit your barrel if you don't at least put a coat of oil on it.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
For me, that video proves nobody should be without an AR. No excuse not to have one. I know some people and family members who have plenty of dough, and are just too cheap to buy a rifle to defend themselves and their families. IMHO, there is just NO excuse not to own one. I think that rifle would have lasted a lot more rounds, had it not been getting beat that hard.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well it certainly shows that someone that wants one or feels they need one, needn’t wait until they can pony up for a DD or other boutique model. The basic design is sound and given decent parts, not necessarily exotic ones, and a little lube now and then, they run.

My first, a mid-level from a major manufacturer, was disappointing, partly due to my ignorance about the various configurations available, but also due to its mediocre accuracy. One thing I’ve found with Bear Creek and PSA is that they offer a tremendous variety of options, which increases the chances of getting what you want from the start instead of having to buy something that requires parts swapping to get there.

At some point I want to get a piston upper, either an Adams or the Brownells. It seems the trend in military rifles is towards pistons, and there are definitely advantages for hard use as well as stocking options. Meanwhile, I’m very happy so far with my economy models with BC uppers on a PSA lower. They certainly shoot well.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well it certainly shows that someone that wants one or feels they need one, needn’t wait until they can pony up for a DD or other boutique model. The basic design is sound and given decent parts, not necessarily exotic ones, and a little lube now and then, they run.

My first, a mid-level from a major manufacturer, was disappointing, partly due to my ignorance about the various configurations available, but also due to its mediocre accuracy. One thing I’ve found with Bear Creek and PSA is that they offer a tremendous variety of options, which increases the chances of getting what you want from the start instead of having to buy something that requires parts swapping to get there.

At some point I want to get a piston upper, either an Adams or the Brownells. It seems the trend in military rifles is towards pistons, and there are definitely advantages for hard use as well as stocking options. Meanwhile, I’m very happy so far with my economy models with BC uppers on a PSA lower. They certainly shoot well.

The thing that bothers me the most I think. Is that you can buy assembled ones cheaper than the parts. They are so easy to build a monkey could... and getting exactly what you want is often totally impossible unless you part it together. Especially kids rifles... they like to mix colors etc...

BUT Iv'e gotten past some of that and just buy whats close and call it good. Even if it has bells I don't need or want.

Pistons. Since the early 80s I've had gas ARs. I've never had any issue that would drive me to a piston. I have pistons in other guns. Just don't see any place for the real need. So far.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The thing that bothers me the most I think. Is that you can buy assembled ones cheaper than the parts. They are so easy to build a monkey could... and getting exactly what you want is often totally impossible unless you part it together. Especially kids rifles... they like to mix colors etc...

BUT Iv'e gotten past some of that and just buy whats close and call it good. Even if it has bells I don't need or want.

Pistons. Since the early 80s I've had gas ARs. I've never had any issue that would drive me to a piston. I have pistons in other guns. Just don't see any place for the real need. So far.

I haven’t been at this long enough to know much, but I’m learning. That BC I bought had everything I wanted, heavy 20” SS Wilde, rifle-length gas tube, side-charger, and enough rail and slots but not too many.

Those pistons draw me for their simplicity and cool, clean running. That might be more of a theoretical advantage than real for me, but we all have our fantasies🤔 The BRN-180 allows for a folding stock which might actually be a real benefit.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There are ways to do a folding stock on a traditional DI AR tho.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But can they be fired when folded?

Besides, that BRN-180 just looks badass….

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No - not fired when folded.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've never encountered a "shot out" ar-15 barrel in 5.56. Some friends say they've had competition guns where the groups open unacceptably and they replace them, but they are thousands of rounds into them.

Also, in a SHTF scenario, I'm going to use what ever is available, as long as it is available, until something better comes along.

Truth is in an EOTWAWKI event, any of us will be lucky to be around long enough to shoot out an AR barrel.

And finally, if you're not sitting on enough ammo to shoot your barrel out, then this isn't relevant to you anyway.

3,000 rounds per 5.56 rifle/barrel (you can stockpile barrels as well) seems a good target.

I gotta go, I'm behind on reloading by my own account.

Last edited by David_Walter; 03/06/24. Reason: added insightful commentary

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,063
Posts18,482,462
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.