Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by drop_point
I was under the impression the Lee die uses collets with fingers over a mandrel. If he is measuring runout on the neck and getting zeros after this process, the inside cannot also be zeros unless he's turned the necks. Even Lapua brass has thickness variation.

You use much Lapua brass pard?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
I was under the impression the Lee die uses collets with fingers over a mandrel. If he is measuring runout on the neck and getting zeros after this process, the inside cannot also be zeros unless he's turned the necks. Even Lapua brass has thickness variation.

Pay attention to many of my posts? I've got about 2,000 pieces of it on my shelf, using it for hunting, F-T/R, and PRS.

Have you taken a ball mic to many pieces? Or turned many pieces?

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

I've used it in 308 for almost twenty years. It has been very good stuff, but not perfect. I did get a batch a while back that shouldn't have left the factory door by Lapua standards, though it was still better than a lot of mass market stuff.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman

I've used it in 308 for almost twenty years. It has been very good stuff, but not perfect. I did get a batch a while back that shouldn't have left the factory door by Lapua standards, though it was still better than a lot of mass market stuff.

Everything is assumed defective until proven otherwise.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yes. I borrowed a friends runout dial indicator gauge from a friend. RCBS I believe. I measured one batch of ammo loaded on a single stage press vs loading progressive style on the Dillon. The Dillon is much faster, but had about 2x the runout compared to the RCBS rock chucker press.

I've also measured loaded ammo on the single stage loaded seating in one motion vs the described stepped method. The stepped method reduces runout some, maybe. 002 - .003". All depends on what I'm doing if I'm being more careful or not

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If you can reduce runout by .003", and that's a 50% reduction per your prior post, then there's a problem somewhere. I call assembled rounds with .006" bananas.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
Yes. I borrowed a friends runout dial indicator gauge from a friend. RCBS I believe. I measured one batch of ammo loaded on a single stage press vs loading progressive style on the Dillon. The Dillon is much faster, but had about 2x the runout compared to the RCBS rock chucker press.

I've also measured loaded ammo on the single stage loaded seating in one motion vs the described stepped method. The stepped method reduces runout some, maybe. 002 - .003". All depends on what I'm doing if I'm being more careful or not

That's not the comparison I asked about.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Same dies? Same processes? Did you spot check or check every single round?

World champions loading precision ammo on a Dillon...

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Sometimes this forum really sucks, and I see why many don't join in.

My main point is that I have reduced runout by using a stepped seating/turn-the-cartridge method. Requires slightly more care, and I measured enough loaded rounds to notice a reduction in runout. Your results will vary.

I'm a hunter Sometimes, a target shooter most of the time, and I've never completed in a match. I've had friends say I should, but probably too busy with other endeavors.

The method described is an easy way to reduce runout.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The thing is, I've chased runout for a good while and haven't found that method to be of much benefit in my own experience and tests.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My main point is that I have reduced runout by using a stepped seating/turn-the-cartridge method. Requires slightly more care, and I measured enough loaded rounds to notice a reduction in runout. Your results will vary.

I have some dies that will seat straight w/o rotating - mostly Forster BR dies. On other dies (mostly RCBS), sometimes the 180 rotation helps, sometimes not. You only know by checking with a concentricity gauge.

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
OP, here. Lots of good suggestions; I'm trying to digest a good amount of it. A little more information. I'm using a Forster Coax press, and use the same reloading brands (i.e., Redding body, Lee neck, and Forster Micro-seater) for two other calibers. I'm only getting the seating runout with my .308.

Of the 200 or so pieces of Lapua .308 brass, I checked the runout on 30 pieces. Only two exceeded .001 variation. I measured the thickness on the 30 pieces and 23 were less than .001, with the remainder less than .015. I'm not running compressed loads on this one. I loaded 25 and found six that were between .005 and .009. The remainder were less than .002. I'm measuring about halfway between the case mouth and the ogive. Since I have very good luck with the Forster seating die in my other calibers, I'm beginning to suspect something is amiss with my .308 seater. Maybe I'll borrow a friends seater die to see what that produces.

For rounds that exceed .002, I just straighten them out with my homemade straightener until they're less than that. I'm not one to chase runout too much, as the rifle shoots extremely well with my straightened rounds. Perhaps this is an exercise in just wanting to know the answer due to OCD. .......or control issues?

Last edited by drakecasey; 03/03/24.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sometimes this forum really sucks, and I see why many don't join in.

I'm a hunter Sometimes, a target shooter most of the time, and I've never completed in a match. I've had friends say I should, but probably too busy with other endeavors.

The method described is an easy way to reduce runout.

If that works, your die is junk.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by drakecasey
OP, here. Lots of good suggestions; I'm trying to digest a good amount of it. A little more information. I'm using a Forster Coax press, and use the same reloading brands (i.e., Redding body, Lee neck, and Forster Micro-seater) for two other calibers. I'm only getting the seating runout with my .308.

Of the 200 or so pieces of Lapua .308 brass, I checked the runout on 30 pieces. Only two exceeded .001 variation. I measured the thickness on the 30 pieces and 23 were less than .001, with the remainder less than .015. I'm not running compressed loads on this one. I loaded 25 and found six that were between .005 and .009. The remainder were less than .002. I'm measuring about halfway between the case mouth and the ogive. Since I have very good luck with the Forster seating die in my other calibers, I'm beginning to suspect something is amiss with my .308 seater. Maybe I'll borrow a friends seater die to see what that produces.

For rounds that exceed .002, I just straighten them out with my homemade straightener until they're less than that. I'm not one to chase runout too much, as the rifle shoots extremely well with my straightened rounds. Perhaps this is an exercise in just wanting to know the answer due to OCD. .......or control issues?

That's the best use of a runout gauge: finding ways to improve your process.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Can always try an oring on your seating die. This allows the die to self-align itself (slightly) to the case that is being sized. This and doing 2nd turn when seating has seem to help mine.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

164 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 30Gibbs, 264mag, 25 invisible), 1,730 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,368
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.