Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
At least for myself at the moment. I started making my own priming compound and realized that I needed cups to put it in to act as whole caps. I designed a punch that works pretty well at stamping out .006 brass shimstock for the purpose but figured there had to be a better way. Thought of this a few nights ago and designed caps with the 3D printer. They work fantastic. Perfect seal, fit and break alot like metal caps when fired. And they absolutely don't jam up the action at all. I can print ALOT in a short time.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Interesting. I haven’t seen #11 percussion caps for a long time.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Interesting. I haven’t seen #11 percussion caps for a long time.
Same here. I bought the individual chems to make the FH42 primer composition and have been using it in these caps as number 10's because that's what fits my 1858 Remington but I'm making another file for number 11 caps as well.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
So I could have made them instead of buying the red plastic cap gun caps at the toy store...Hmm.
Rich

You know you might be facing your doom if all you get is a click when you are expecting a BOOM !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I may have to put my 13yo to work trying to make some of these!! Way cool.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yep. Yankee ingenuity. I would like to see this grow to the point where CCI/Remington/RWS will be left holding the bag if they ever decide to get off their butts and peddle percussion caps again.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Great use of new technology! You think outside the box. Market them. Good niche market. A lot of black powder shooters out there. I ran into a similar problem buying an old Knight M93 inline 50 cal at a pawn shop for $50. Good bore , cleaned up nicely. But it had a breech plug for musket caps. Musket caps were nowhere to be found and if you did find some, prices were exorbitant and they were unreliable. I couldn’t find a regular no 11 cap breech plug either. So it’s sits in the closet until I find either in my price range.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by carrollco
Great use of new technology! You think outside the box. Market them. Good niche market. A lot of black powder shooters out there. I ran into a similar problem buying an old Knight M93 inline 50 cal at a pawn shop for $50. Good bore , cleaned up nicely. But it had a breech plug for musket caps. Musket caps were nowhere to be found and if you did find some, prices were exorbitant and they were unreliable. I couldn’t find a regular no 11 cap breech plug either. So it’s sits in the closet until I find either in my price range.
I'm not familiar with that setup but a person could 3d print musket caps too, or maybe have the nipple turned down to fit number 11 caps?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is very cool. Outside the box in spades!

Doubt I’ll ever need more than I have now since only my Pedersoli Cook needs them and it remains unfired, plus I have several hundred at least.

Congrats on a great idea.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

If its a 1/4 -28 thread Musket nipple , then you can buy this from Knights...https://www.muzzleloaders.com/product/red-hot-replacement-muzzleloader-nipple-2/
The other they sell is a 6mm Metric.
Rich

You know you might be facing your doom if all you get is a click when you are expecting a BOOM !
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I just used a small primer and some tubing for a fish tank.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Wish we lived closer or I was traveling by that way. I have several thousand musket caps.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
If anyone is interested, I sell kits for those who want to make their own percussion caps
DIY Percussion Cap Cup Assembly Kit (11) https://a.co/d/76NOKEb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by high_country_

I just used a small primer and some tubing for a fish tank.

Yep I do this too. I cut the tubing to around .300 long and can get quite a few shots out of the tubing. Don't think it will work on revolvers because of clearance issues. I use small rifle primers.

I have mentioned this trick before but seems like it sailed right over peoples heads.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (257 mag, 35, badwolf, BDR1, beefan, 9 invisible), 1,441 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,057
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.