Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
I've taken several rifles that apart for people that had unintentionally ended up with a 'glue-in' due to improper prep and/or improper release agent. It never took longer than 15-20 minutes to get them apart and the stocks were never damaged in the process. If you had work being done there, I hope you packed it up and headed elsewhere. shocked

This was long ago in a galaxy far away, in the infancy of "glass" bedding. He was an old curmudgeonly type born around the turn of the last century. I truly wish he were around today, his work was 1st class old school. As I recall it wasn't a case of improper release agent, rather no release agent and completely epoxy bedded from tang to forearm tip.

He saved my 16 year old skin once by neatly boring the lead core out of the jacket of a bullet I managed to get stuck halfway down the bore of a Krag and then tried beating out with a cleaning rod. Lathe, 1/4" gun drill, custom bronze bushings to keep things centered, not a scratch in the rifling. Learned a couple valuable lessons that day, chief of which was "don't be a dumbass". (And don't substitute a jacketed bullet for a plain base cast bullet in a subsonic plinking cartridge.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 44mc
Feral thats a good looking flinter you built

Thank you

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
R
RHM Offline
R
Very nice Feral.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Originally Posted by hicountry
I've used Johnson paste wax on dozens of bedding jobs.

Never had an issue, always get good results.

Yes...another good product that's been used for decades. smile -Al

Al,

As I per usual, thanks for posting all the great info based on way more experience with the number of stocks done than most of use have done.

As for release agent, I've always just used paste wax or moly based mold release agent in spray form that has always been perfect.

And, for sure, play dough is much easier to remove than clay, when filling a hole or recess is required.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Al, As per usual, thanks for posting all the great info based on way more experience with the number of stocks done than most of use have done. As for release agent, I've always just used paste wax or moly based mold release agent in spray form that has always been perfect. And, for sure, play dough is much easier to remove than clay, when filling a hole or recess is required. MM

Thanks, sir. smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve often used what’s handy. A couple times - oops.

I know Kiwi has always worked well. I used car wax until someone here said it was a bad idea. I’ve used Brownells stuff a long time ago and it worked. I’ve used one-shot.

I’ve been using playdoh lately to keep glass from going where it aught not go.

Looks like I’ll be looking for Partall.

As far a bedding compound I’ve used most. The first or at least one of the first was a Brownells product that was messy - had to add fiber. Way too much of a liquid.

It looks like I’ll go back to a compound I’ve used in the past but when I didn’t find it, I used a gel that evidently doesn’t last long??? I didn’t know.

Last edited by Bugger; 03/06/24.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,191 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,728
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.