Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
OP Offline
R
Gentlemen,
Booked a hunt to BVC in August for Buff/Plains game.
Doing some research on shipping my rifle over to Zimbabwe shows that our Canadian government might not be giving firearm export permits to Zimbabwe. This includes hunting rifles for hunting trips.
Now I noticed on their website that there has been an amendment last March that states that there may be possible exemptions.
I’m going to see if I can get ahold of someone at the office to see what’s going on.
Anyone have any experience on this matter?
Thanks appreciate it!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not aware of the ammendment, but I do know that some people have exported their rifle(s) to South Africa. Then they overnight and then go to Zimbabwe. Their position is that they DID export their rifle(s) to the RSA. They then exported to Zimbabwe. They were playing with semantics. I guarantee you that the Canadian authorities would not look very favorably on this gaming the system.

I would not recommend this as you would be playing with fire. I would not want to be caught by the Canadian authorities.

It is always best to try to comply with the regulations. Personaly, I want to keep my firearms.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I hunted Zimbabwe each of the last two years. I contacted Canadian Export Controls, and was told at that time the arms imbargo applied to hunters who wished to temporarily import sporting firearms. So I rented rifles form the outfitter in Zimbabwe instead. If that law has changed, I'd like to know because I am going back in 2025, and I'd really like to bring my own rifle. Serge Laurier works as export controls clerk for Global Affairs Canada. he's the go-to guy, and is very helpful and no-nonsense. If it can be done legally, he's the best one to advise you.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Serge is a great help.

R
OP Offline
R
Thanks for the replies.
Received one response from the email I sent out questioning if there is a possibility of taking a hunting rifle…..

“ I cannot give you an official answer to that. You will have to apply for an export permit for firearms in order to receive an answer”

Frustrating…..

IC B2

R
OP Offline
R
This is another reply that I received from the desk officer.
I’ve sent an email to the address that he recommended to apply for a permit but have yet to receive a reply.
Possible hope.
Be a shame not to take my Model 70 over.

Good day,

We received your message from a colleague who no longer works on this program. This message is to let you know that there is currently a ban in place on the export of arms and related material to Zimbabwe or to any person in Zimbabwe. This ban includes the export of hunting rifles and ammunition to Zimbabwe on a temporary basis.

We advise that you review the sanctions website and if you wish to apply for a permit under the Special Economic Measures (Zimbabwe) Permit Authorization Order to contact: sanctionsinternational.gc.ca

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/Regulations/SOR-2008-249/FullText.html

Thank you,

Desk Officer - Bostwana, Malawi, Zambia, Zimbabwe | Chargé de dossier - Bostwana, Malawi, Zambie, Zimbabwe
Southern and Eastern Africa Bilateral Relations Division

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (10gaugemag, 14idaho, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 22 invisible), 1,416 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,655
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.