Hop To
#19274430 03/06/24
S
skinner Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I just bought a new Honda 700 and I need to decide which windshield to buy. My last sxs was bought in 2018 and had a plastic shield. Most of my riding is done on gravel and farm roads that are very dusty. Because of this, I always took off my windshield every summer. So if I go with glass it will be considerably heavier to remove it. But if I go with plastic I need one that folds up or down to avoid the dust problem. Also are the new units that claim to be scratch resistant that much more durable than the ones made a few years ago? Any suggestions? Thanks.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you want a flipup get the Super ATV flip up. I have had three of them and the first two had over 8,000 miles on them when I sold the SxS. Always use lots of water and a squeegee to clean them. They are scratch resistant and all of mine were and are clear even after hitting branches and lots of brush. Or you can get the full glass front windshields with the vents in the bottom of the windshield to let fresh air in. Google windshields for you SxS and start the search.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
S
skinner Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks BluMtn. So in your opinion the flip-up is better than the fold down?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a flip-down hardcoated Seizmik windshield on my Mule Pro FXT and have had good luck with it over the last 3 years or so. I'm often hitting vines and low branches hanging down in logging roads at near roof-level and was concerned that I'd snag a flip-up design and break something. Mine is considerably clearer than the older non-coated plastic windshield my father had on his Ranger about a decade ago. His was hazed and scratched in no time. Of course, a good coated one is more expensive than a cheapo non-coated unit.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by JPro; 03/06/24.

Now with even more aplomb
S
skinner Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks JPro. I‘ll check that out.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I also have a flip up SuperATV window. When trail riding, it's open unless it's cold. Having it open lets the dust just blow through. Closing it will cause the dust to swirl behind it. Riding with it in the vent position is less dusty than fully closed.
They call it scratch resistant but no polycarbonate is scratch proof. The worst thing you can do is to wipe the dust off. Dust is abrasive and wiping it is like using sandpaper on it. WASH it off. I carry a squirt bottle of water with a tiny drop of soap and a soft cloth towel (never use paper towels). When it gets too dusty, I wash it. Use lots of water.

After about 3 or 4 years, the gas struts went bad and wouldn't hold it open. They tried to sell me new struts for $50 and wouldn't tell me how much weight they needed to lift. I got a 10lb pair from Amazon for $10 and they were way too flimsy. I tried some 20lb struts and they're much better. I think that about 30lb would be about right.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
skinner Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Wow that’s all good information. I just ordered that windshield. I’ll report on it when it arrives and I use it for awhile.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1minute, 007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,558
Posts18,473,111
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.