-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It occurred to me that I probably had every thing I needed to resolve the case head expansion debate to my satisfaction out in my shop.Following are case head dimensions taken from brass out of the same box of REM. .338 ultra mag factory cartridges having the 250 gr. nosler partition bullet.<P>UNfired - .5465 after firing - ..5480<P>loaded with 93 gr rl25 and 225 gr part.and fired.m v,avg of 3 rounds - 3092 fps<BR> web dia - .5480<P>different brass from same box loaded with 98 gr rl22 and 200 gr B.T. m.v.,avg of 5 rds - 3410 fps web dia - .5495<P>You would think the " hot" 200 gr load would perhaps have exhibited some excess pressure sign.I did not get stiff bolt or difficult extraction,but the shiney extractor mark was there on all 5 cases.<P>The value I see in this is that- had I followed canon,s regimen - I'd have stopped before the extractor mark point.The fact is,that aint my style.I started at a hot load and I'll work my way down,discarding all over-stressed brass.<P>You see,I'm a hunter who reloads and once i get aload for arifle,I probably wont shoot over 80 rounds a year in this one.I aint doing this to see how many loads I can get out of a case or to find the most "effecient" powder.Aint a curious bone in my body about all that.<P>Some of you self appointed gurus ought to be ashamed of yourselves.I'm still trying to figure out your post ,KEN,about a blown up rifle due to incorrect powder charge when the discussion was about case head measuring.Do you think we dont know rifles will blow up?THen we get the scot trying to refute canon's statements and quoting you as the authority on the subject.What's the deal?You got disciples over here like at shooters? I thought this was a campfire, not a courtroom.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gene II, my friend (I already have another friend named Gene Williams, so I'll call him Gene I), I had not read your later posts until just now. That's one reason I haven't answered you.<P>I've had my attention quite fragmented lately, and haven't been spending as much total time on the boards, while at the same time I've been skipping around on more boards than I was reading a while back. That's one reason I hadn't seen the last several posts on the threads you've been scoring.<P>If ridiculing me and disparaging the information I've posted (meant to be helpful, not to put anybody down) is your way of trying to get me to answer you, you've picked the worst possible way to get this old man to continue trying to talk things over with you. And lest you leap to the conclusion that I'm being petty, let me assure you, that isn't the problem at all.<P>The problem is the obvious stupidity of expecting you to believe anything I say, given what you've just shown to be what you think of me and my information.<P>Do, believe, and discuss anything you like, with anyone you like, any way you like � with my sincere personal best wishes. If there's any way you and I can get along (important to me), this is the only way I see possible. I don't seek or welcome discord, and I will NOT back off or disavow anything that I know to be true. So you go your way while I stay stuck right here in my familiar ol' mud.<P>Tight groups and calm days, Amigo!

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Gene/ I know I said I was out of here, but as<BR>my name(handle)was mentioned, I had to chime in. I'm sure glad this saga is winding down.<BR> <BR>You realize of course, these readings aren't<BR>as accurate as they should be, as cases were<BR>were not measured before firing, but you see<BR>the merit, in the method.<BR> <BR>You mentioned extractor marks, I'm assuming you mean ejector marks. In a couple of my rifles, there is a burr around the ejector hole ,left there from drilling the ejector hole. This can give an indication of a warm load, even if it is in fact not. But .003" is hot by any standards. You'll have to let us know how the primers slide in, when you get to it.<BR> <BR>Thanks for the support, and enjoy the new confidence you will have in your handloads.<BR>

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm SORRY FOR THE DISPARAGING REMARKS, KEN,I over reacted.<P>THANKS,YOUPER,CURMUDGEON,BLAMMER,CENTURION,and OL'JOE for your input regarding my question.<P>to expand on what I found: as far as this box of factory ammo is concerned,I found that<P>1.initial firing of the factory loads resulted in measureable expansion.<P>2.Reloading with 93 gr rl 25 and 225 gr partition and firing did not result in farthur expansion.<P>3.Reloading with 98 gr rl 22and 200 gr bal. tip resulted in an additional .015 expansion.<P>4.Firing the hot load left a noticable ejector mark that was not present after any other firings.<P>5.Primer seating was no different after any of the firings.{ sorry,canon,that's how it was.grin]<P>have a good day, gene

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I type so slow that I sometimes have to split a post in two.In case anyone wonders how I suddenly was able to come up with all this info last nite, ill explain:<P>I've learned to keep good notes and to keep brass sorted.I live so far out in the sticks I could have done the firing last nite but that was not necessary.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, Gene II!<P>Check your e-mail.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Your certainly welcome!

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,333 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,944
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.