Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Dentistry has become a racket. They pressure you to make frequent appointments to be examined for the purpose of padding their own pockets. Back in the day, you only saw a dentist if you had a tooth ache. Now they work hard to plant in our heads that we need to come in every six months. That's because the old model didn't allow for nearly as many dentists making a nice living. As a result of this new model, you can't get an appointment when you need one, because they are fully booked months in advance.

At least with your dentist, you can decide the level of care you want for yourself. With your vet, if you decide something isn’t really necessary you’re left with lingering doubts about neglecting ol’ Fido…..

What fresh Hell is this?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Pappy348
At least with your dentist, you can decide the level of care you want for yourself. With your vet, if you decide something isn’t really necessary you’re left with lingering doubts about neglecting ol’ Fido…..
The result of that is higher insurance premiums for everybody.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
"I pay cash" opens a lot of doors that would remain closed otherwise, and usually at around half the going rate they have to charge for the hassle of dealing with slow pay or no pay insurance carriers.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Dentist's office on the phone: "You are way overdue for a check and cleaning."

Person with teeth: "OK, better schedule me."

Dentist's office: "Let's see, how about three months from tomorrow?"

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
There are none so lost as those who are trying to find their way back to the reception area as those who are leaving the examination room that they were led to.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 5sdad
.. will look you dead in the eye and ask if you are available 4 months and 13 days from now.

Evidently, she keeps a tight schedule. whistle

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Better than no teeth.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I say, give me something tues-wed-thurs around 10am.

Always set a dentist appointment at 2:30, that way ya can remember the time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
My cardiologist office schedules me 2 years out.

Okay, y'all are gonna call and remind me, right? If I don't answer, you might cancel the appointment.. it's not needed. grin

laugh laugh

It's important to maintain a sense of humor (and a realistic out look)cool

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Went to see my orthopedic surgeon in January.
Hip needed to be replaced.
Nurse grabbed me up, sent me down the hall for an EKG. Then around the corner for a blood draw.
"Your surgery is set for Friday, Feb 2, 2024. We will contact you with your arrival time!"
Phone call gave me a 5:15AM arrival time. By 8:00AM, I'm prepped and in surgery. By 11:00AM, I'm waking up from anesthesia in my room!

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Dentistry has become a racket. They pressure you to make frequent appointments to be examined for the purpose of padding their own pockets. Back in the day, you only saw a dentist if you had a tooth ache. Now they work hard to plant in our heads that we need to come in every six months. That's because the old model didn't allow for nearly as many dentists making a nice living. As a result of this new model, you can't get an appointment when you need one, because they are fully booked months in advance.

Modern tooth pastes and oral products coupled with heightened emphasis on oral hygiene have significantly reduced the number of cavities and other maladies that require lucrative restorative dental services. Which leaves dentists with cleanings and exams as the leading income stream. I cannot remember the last time I had a "new" cavity/filling? All of dental work I have had in the last 10 years has been clean up, fix up, of old mercury amalgam fillings that were originally done as a child 60 years ago.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
"I pay cash" opens a lot of doors that would remain closed otherwise, and usually at around half the going rate they have to charge for the hassle of dealing with slow pay or no pay insurance carriers.

Paying Cash... What a great idea...

I once heard that Cash Is King... but the guy that said it... was a bit screwy... So I didn't pay him no nevermind.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My family has been seeing the same dentist since 1974.
My Grandparents saw him,my Mom,Myself and my children all are patients of his,but he is getting up there in years,I hope we can find as good a replacement.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
Went to see my orthopedic surgeon in January.
Hip needed to be replaced.
Nurse grabbed me up, sent me down the hall for an EKG. Then around the corner for a blood draw.
"Your surgery is set for Friday, Feb 2, 2024. We will contact you with your arrival time!"
Phone call gave me a 5:15AM arrival time. By 8:00AM, I'm prepped and in surgery. By 11:00AM, I'm waking up from anesthesia in my room!

So, how are you doing now? Mobility?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln

Paying Cash... What a great idea...

I once heard that Cash Is King... but the guy that said it... was a bit screwy... So I didn't pay him no nevermind.

^^^^This^^^^

I always ask for a cash discount. It doesn't always work....but sometimes, it does!

Best "cash discount" so far saved us $3500!
A medical test shrank from $5k to $1500 with an offer of a cash payment.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All of my appointment minders are set up on text message. Even the big snooty hospitals use it.
Plus I actually use my patient portal. Has a fancy dash board inside the iphone app.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
I always ask for a cash discount. It doesn't always work....but sometimes, it does!

Best "cash discount" so far saved us $3500!
A medical test shrank from $5k to $1500 with an offer of a cash payment.
The modern system of health insurance is a gigantic scam. What they charge your insurance company is obscene, but most don't know because their bill is only a fraction of what is charged to the insurance company. The result is extremely expensive premiums on our insurance policies.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
They take our check.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Orion2000
All of dental work I have had in the last 10 years has been clean up, fix up, of old mercury amalgam fillings that were originally done as a child 60 years ago.
I remember back in the early 1980s going to the dentist for a cavity drill and filling. I asked what he was using for the filling. He told me it was an amalgam of mercury, lead, and other materials. I immediately got up from the chair and told him he had to be kidding. "Don't you know," I asked, "that those metals are highly toxic??" He said, "Oh, no, they treat it in such as way that it never leaches."

Eventually, he talked me into sitting back down. I regret not making tracks out of that office, now, when I had a chance. I still have that filling.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I get the extended EOBs mailed to me

Just because the physician bills for $5000, thr insurance likely only pays him about $875

Same with the facilities
Bills says 30,000 for operating room services, pharms
Insurance pays about $4000

Been seeing it like that for a long time

Contractually pre-negotiated rates. For in-network providers.

Gets a little dicey outside your network.

Always consult your annual book for lists of in-network. Also in-network is NOT defined by geographic area. I have in-network 3 states away.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (6MMWASP, 7mm_Loco, 6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 9 invisible), 1,759 guests, and 1,025 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,900
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.