Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
So, my buddy and I decided to go out to New Mexico next month to do some coyote hunting. Another friend of ours bought a place near Questa. So that's where we will be calling our base for 5 days.

We will be near Ute mountain, Rio Grande Del Norte, Cimmarron Canyon State park, Carson Natl Forest ect.

Any other places we could go, or pointers for hunting this area? We are pretty good at calling our east coast foxes, and I've hunted quite a few yotes when I lived in Texas. We are looking forward to a good time and one heck of a road trip!

I called the dept of game and fish and am waiting on their return call. If any of you know of an area that we can get into a few, the info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Cant tell you where to go but i spent 3 days NE of Logan hunting coyotes and didnt shoot one. According to the local gas station manger, they get a lot of pressure there.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Ya might look into doing some calling on the Commanche National Grasslands in the S.E. corner of Colo. Probably be on your way to N.M, or on your way back. The area does get some pressure but a few years ago I had access to a large ranch that bordered the grasslands, and I ventured off of the private on to the grasslands and still found coyotes that would come to the call.
Of course, you'll have to buy a small game license, but might be worth a look. At the very least you'll see some new country.

The ranch I used to hunt now just hires gov. plane to fly his ranch, so I don't waste my time calling it any more since it's a long drive for me.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by TRnCO
Ya might look into doing some calling on the Commanche National Grasslands in the S.E. corner of Colo. Probably be on your way to N.M, or on your way back. The area does get some pressure but a few years ago I had access to a large ranch that bordered the grasslands, and I ventured off of the private on to the grasslands and still found coyotes that would come to the call.
Of course, you'll have to buy a small game license, but might be worth a look. At the very least you'll see some new country.

The ranch I used to hunt now just hires gov. plane to fly his ranch, so I don't waste my time calling it any more since it's a long drive for me.

I looked at that area. We won't be too far from it. It might be a nice day trip.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would be sure and have a public lands program for your phone or gps and a DeLormes Atlas and Gazetteer has state and BLM shown. There is a lot of snow up along the CO border. I hunt southern NM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
There is a lot of snow up along the CO border. I hunt southern NM.
Not currently on that side of the state. The S.W. corner yes, the S.E. corner, no.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Just got off the phone with the game warden. He was very helpful and showed me another few areas(all within 40 minutes)to hunt. He said that my Hunt stand app would be a great mapping tool out there and to give him a call if we had questions.

Just got back from the range and my Tikka 22-250 is shooting bug holes! I am really looking forward to this trip!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Pretty sure there is about a million acres of blm north and west of Questa. I fish in there on that river. Seen alot of sign in there. Also seen some giant sheep along that canyon rim.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Over in my area, coyote population seems down - I have no idea why.
A while back we had ~8" of snow, and over 13 miles of county road, I counted 4 coyote tracks.
Neighbors are reporting much the same. Maybe it's better farther north, I haven't been to our Raton country since it snowed.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There will be more coyotes closer to town than way out der

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Coyote10
Pretty sure there is about a million acres of blm north and west of Questa. I fish in there on that river. Seen alot of sign in there. Also seen some giant sheep along that canyon rim.
Thanks, and yep, that's where we are going to start. I've seen a few of those sheep too! I'd love to get after them some day.😁

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Coyote10
Are those some kind of "wild" sheep, some feral domestic sheep.

OR

Domestic sheep someone allows to run wild?

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Mark S.

Isn't all that country up north property?

Owners up there friendly towards folks reducing coyote population.

What about that "Grasslands" area NE of Wagon Mound, is it hunted much?

Longshot3
Pretty good little drive over to the east side of the mountain from Questa.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Over in my area, coyote population seems down - I have no idea why.
A while back we had ~8" of snow, and over 13 miles of county road, I counted 4 coyote tracks.
Neighbors are reporting much the same. Maybe it's better farther north, I haven't been to our Raton country since it snowed.
thats been the same story in the areas of nevada, idaho and utah. been that way since 2018, a few pockets here or there hold coyote and they aren't extinct but they darn sure aren't how they used to be pre 2018. last fall we were pretty excited because we had finally found a couple pockets we could see that were coming back. last winter we had tons of snow, I think that wiped them out. the problem is bunnies. bunnies are very scarce. coyotes need winter protein. bugs and grass hoppers don't get it done in the winter.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by LouisB
Coyote10
Are those some kind of "wild" sheep, some feral domestic sheep.

OR

Domestic sheep someone allows to run wild?

Sorry for the late reply. No, they are big horns.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Western Santa Nat'l Forest up around Youngsville, Coyote and Galiina always lots.

My g8-g8 uncle was Barney Riggs. Google and read about him. He roamed around the southwest, mainly west Tx and Az and NM territory. History credits him with from 9 - 12 men he killed, not counting Mexicans and Indians. Family lore has it at 18.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,271 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,966
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.