-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Is there better low light scope than these? I picked one of these up recently and can’t get over how long after sunset I can see clearly with this scope. I have had Zeiss Conquest V4, Swarovski Habicht, Kahles, Tract Toric 1” and 30mm and this seems to beat them all.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The R2 series is extremely good and can handle just about any situation, but they aren't the final word in low-light performance, either. A few other scopes have slightly better glass, and others have superior illumination. I ran a 2-12x50 for a long while and loved its optical performance. Even in diffused or partial moonlight, you could see well enough to make a shot.

Now if Meopta would just tone down the illumination to the level that the entry-level MeoSport 3-15x50 has, the R2 scopes would be even better in the worst of lighting. To account for the intensity of the illumination in the R2s, I found I have to use either the BDC-2 or BDC-3 reticle, which features a smaller dot than the 4-C. The size of the dot in the 4-C, coupled with the intensity of the illumination, tends to negatively affect one's vision in the lowest of light -- especially so when the ranges are somewhat extended.

Another thing that could benefit the scope you mention -- the 2.5-15x56 -- would be the addition of parallax correction. Why they chose to build it without SF or PA is beyond me.

One more thing about the R2: You ALWAYS need to have a watch on when hunting deer. They'll get you to and through legal shooting light with ease and can get you in trouble if you're not careful.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
One thing I forgot to mention is the price. Dollar-for-dollar, considering everything the Meopta R2 scopes offer, they are very hard to beat.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
R2 has great light gathering for sure, but compared to my swarovski or even the r1,the field of view sux. The r2 was a great value when they were $1500 new. I had rather have swarovski z6 for about the same money. Jmo

Last edited by Browning308; 03/10/24.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Browning308
The r2 was a great value when they were $1500 new.

I didn't realize what a huge price hike Meopta implemented on these. The last one I bought was maybe 2 years ago and was nowhere near the current pricing.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Is there better low light scope than these? I picked one of these up recently and can’t get over how long after sunset I can see clearly with this scope. I have had Zeiss Conquest V4, Swarovski Habicht, Kahles, Tract Toric 1” and 30mm and this seems to beat them all.

Just as Bobby mentioned, because he has helped me more than he can imagine over the years with low light. If you have the budget, yes, there is a better low light optic. Schmidt Bender Polar T96. I was able to find a mint used one for about $2300. Some places have sales on them from time to time, but they rarely show up used because once someone looks through one, they don't sell. I got lucky in the fact the guy wanted more of a dialing optic and decided to sell the Polar and get the SB PMII instead.

And yes, here in Louisiana, I constantly watch the time because I can sit damn near all night with little to no moon on my stands.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (007FJ, 21, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 2,573 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,931
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.