Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks for your detailed response PJGunner.

Thanks earlybrd.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have had great luck with RL-15 but only with 225 grain bullets in my Whelen.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Aces,

Here's the Sierra load data for 225gr. bullets. I also checked Muledeer's loads and he posted a load of 61.0gr. Tac with a 225,gr. Nosler AB at 2818 fps.

I know you didn't ask for bullet advice, but I'm going to throw this out there. I'd forget those heavier bullets and go straight to the Barnes 225gr. TSX. I put one from throat to tail of a 300 lb. Newfie black bear at a distance of 40 yards. Dropped him right there. I can't say for sure, because I haven't proved it, but I believe that Barnes will out penetrate a 250gr. Partition or A-frame. I've also been able to consistently ring a ten inch steel plate out to 300 yards on the range.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks abolt for taking the time to post that for me. I’m definitely going to load the 225gr TSX as I’m a HUGE Barnes X/TSX/TTSX fan and I run them in pretty much all my rifles with excellent results! I’m shooting the 210gr and 225gr TTSX in my 338’s so when I put the Whelen together and I found 2 boxes of Swift A-Frames on the shelf of Kesselrings gathering dust I thought it was a sign from above that heavies were warranted. My favorite C & C bullets are TBBC followed by the A-Frame but the Barnes monos are definitely my all around favorite. I’ve had great performance from the A-Frames and they are crazy accurate in my 338’s….every bit as accurate as the Barnes which I didn’t think was possible. I have 50 .338 275gr A-Frames but I got those based on the primal instinct of “fear of loss” since I don’t know if they’re still being produced. I don’t foresee ever really using them since in the 338 I’m wanting for nothing with the 210gr and 225 TTSX. I’ve been using the 210gr Barnes since 1993 in my one 338. Back then they were the original X bullet that was supposed to be inclined to erratic accuracy issues and known to copper foul but I had none of those problems.

I just bought a 100 rounds of primed Whelen brass specifically for these A-Frames and when I find some 225gr Barnes I’ll load up 100 of them too. I have 300 rounds of factory 250gr roundnose that were too cheap to pass up at $30-35 OTD and about 100 rounds of Federal 200gr Fusion so I’m likely set for several lifetimes but I like shooting and fussing around with getting it “perfect”….which I’ll likely never accomplish. 😂. I was kicking around the idea of turning one of my 338’s into a 358 Norma but I’ve since cooled on the idea of yet another chambering…..I’m more likely to just buy a 375 H&H

I’ve read so much about Hammer bullets from the guys I trust here and from the reports of accuracy, ease of load development and terminal performance I can’t overlook them….those are also at the top of my list, just under Barnes the Old Faithfuls.

I really appreciate all of you guys taking the time to respond with your thoughts and suggestions….if anyone has more information I’m all ears. 👍🏼

Since you are a fan of the A-Bolt I should tell you that I was at my LGS yesterday (they’re shuttering their business after decades) and they had a nice stainless A-Bolt (with the BOSS) in 375H&H with a Nikon Buckmasters scope marked down to $595 that I thought about but chose to put back. If you’re interested in it send me a PM and I’ll send you their contact info. 👍🏼

Thanks again guys!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I know some of the new bullets and powders will work great in the Whelen but I still shoot the same old boring load in mine. 49 grains of 3031 and a 250 grain Hornady spire point. Rifle is a 24 inch barreled FN Mauser. Anything from deer to brown bear it works the same, aim,squeeze trigger go clean dead critter. Pretty boring but I like it that way. And like PJ my body no longer likes a lot of heavy recoil.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks for the heads up on that A-bolt 375. Once upon a time, I'd have been on that like white on rice. Unfortunately, I'm at the point that I don't even need the .338 A-bolt I've got. The only reason I keep it is the history on it.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've mainly shot 250 grain bullets from my three .35 Whelen rifles. I got 2500 fps safely / 24" barrel with IMR4064, but came to prefer RL15 over all. Just started experimenting with CFE223, it's the new fashionable powder for the .35 Whelen it seems.

Last edited by castnblast; 03/09/24.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Never messed with that cartridge yet, probably never will. Based on a little research for the task at hand I'd expect You would be hard pressed to do better than Varget. Nosler load data is my basis for the choice.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I long ago relegated my Whelen to strictly 250gr use. I have a fleet of 30/06s to cover the lighter weights.

When I first put the rifle together I did some serious nerding out and working up loads with about any powder I could source that I’d read about or found data for, from books and articles dating from the 50’s to present. I probably chronoed and shot for groups at least 50 different loads with a dozen powders and every bullet brand and style I could find. I eventually landed on a load of 4064 that pushed 250s 2488fps out of my 20” barrel. I then proceeded to kill a bunch of bears, caribou, and moose.

When I moved I had to get rid of my powder horde due to shipping regulations. Not much call for a 35 Whelen down here anyway so it sat unused for 5 years. When I decided to go back north to moose hunt with a buddy I dusted it off and dug out my dies, bullets, and brass. I searched high and low and no 4064 was to be found. But CFE223 was everywhere and the data from Speer looked promising so I decided to go that route. I worked up a load the old fashioned way, half grain increments looking for accuracy and “pressure signs”. Maximum book loads gave ejector marks so I backed down a grain as that’s where the best groups happened to be.

According to the book I should be getting a little more speed than I was with 4064, my chrono quit so I don’t know. But I bet they’re going fast enough to work and hopefully I’ll get to find out this fall when I head back to moose camp.

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks again everyone!

Good luck on your moose hunt TheKid. 👍🏼

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

697 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 160user, 74 invisible), 3,216 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,105
Posts18,483,265
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.