Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaintedDesert
I agree that the younger people just aren’t going to pay for a quality used gun when they can get a cheap Ruger American, Savage or Tikka for 4 or 5 hundred dollars in lieu of a 6-7 hundred + dollar used gun. I posted a custom 300 WBY M700 a while back for 1100 dollars and it came with 150 pieces of brass, two sets of dies with one set a virgin Redding Competition set, Talley 1" rings and the plastic 50 round quality cases, not the MTM type. It is a left handed rifle too and has a Timney trigger and muzzle brake and less than 100 rounds fired. I didn’t even get any low ball requests or any other kind of interest. I listed it on two forums that are popular in the southwest.

Handloading is another thing the current crop of younger shooters has little interest in. The cost of components and iffy availability is part of it, along with the time and trouble to learn how is at odds with modern life and attitudes. In your case the rifle is a “custom” of unknown quality (no offense intended) chambered for a round that has never been wildly popular by virtue of its considerable power, a specialty cartridge. One look at current ammo prices would likely scare off a good many buyers.

You’ll have to wait for just the right person, I think, and be prepared to provide details.

Good luck.

What fresh Hell is this?
HR IC

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Wyo_wby
I believe all of those things, and holidays etc. Tax returns coming in may jump start the market, but who knows.

tax returns ?

Enlighten me.........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have a couple of Boomer friends over 70 who regularly buy guns although one doesn’t even hunt. Both of them have a pile of guns and keep buying more. Perhaps they are in denial that someone will get them for pennies on the dollar at their estate sale or on consignment. I go to estate sales with my brother who is a picker and as far as I can tell, not one of the departed took any of their stuff with them upon passing into eternity.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Brazosdog
I have noticed over the past month or two that guns listed for sale across several forums I frequent simply aren't moving. The prices are a little high, but not that much higher than a few months ago, and they seemed to sell fine then. What drives the slow market on these? Too many guns? Sellers asking too much? Both? Hunting season is over?

The federal reserve is raising interest in an attempt to kill retirement accounts, free spending etc to slow the economy and stop the inflation created by printing all the money that Biden is giving away to foreign governments, subsidizing his liberal agenda and buying votes with. They are choking the life out of the economy until it slows enough that supply chains catch up and prices stop rising so fast. Having excess money to spend on guns is not in the cards for many while all this is going on

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by WAM
I have a couple of Boomer friends over 70 who regularly buy guns although one doesn’t even hunt. Both of them have a pile of guns and keep buying more. Perhaps they are in denial that someone will get them for pennies on the dollar at their estate sale or on consignment. I go to estate sales with my brother who is a picker and as far as I can tell, not one of the departed took any of their stuff with them upon passing into eternity.

They sell for very high prices here in Wyoming. Sometimes its fun to collect stuff and have it, just to have. Especially as you age. You might not be able to hunt the rough stuff anymore but you can buy guns and remember what it was like. Buying and trading is a fun way to stay in the gun game and keep knowledgable on what is out there without spending money on new guns all the time....

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by mrchongo
Nobody wants what boomers are selling off?
This…
Same problem for all the “stuff” we boomers have collected over the years: tools, cars, firearms. The world has moved on. If it doesn’t have a chip in it, the younger generation doesn’t know how to use it.

I think "obsolete" is the word you're looking for. It applies to just about any cartridge with "Weatherby" in the name...

Love my Weatherby rifles

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WAM

Do they shoot? I have a number of friends at my club that like me, are in that age bracket. Only one hunts, but the others all shoot regularly, several times a week, rimfire mostly, but also clays. I shoot one to three times a week, and hunt, and am still buying, but selling some too. Whatever is here when I go under will go to my sons, and if I get simple or disabled, they’ll get them sooner.

I get around to shooting all of mine sooner or later; there are no safe queens here. Buying stuff and sticking it away unused makes no sense to me, but whatever floats your boat.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
One of the guys shoots every Wednesday with a couple of cronies and they shoot different calibers on a rotating basis.
How many .38 Specials does one man need? 👠👠

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Oakster
Originally Posted by mrchongo
Nobody wants what boomers are selling off?
This…
Same problem for all the “stuff” we boomers have collected over the years: tools, cars, firearms. The world has moved on. If it doesn’t have a chip in it, the younger generation doesn’t know how to use it.

I think "obsolete" is the word you're looking for. It applies to just about any cartridge with "Weatherby" in the name...

Love my Weatherby rifles
I don’t think Weatherby cartridges are quite “obsolete”. But they certainly aren’t among the most popular with the “I gots to have the latest and greatest” crowd.
Performance never goes out of style…

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WAM

When my son and I see them going through the used gun racks we joke that they're stocking up for their estate sale

IC B3

Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by WAM

When my son and I see them going through the used gun racks we joke that they're stocking up for their estate sale
I’m 57 and still love my handguns and rifles that I started collecting in my late teens, that said…I still buy mostly older vintage rifles including many Weatherby mark V’s in all caliber’s and just looking at a 340mag to complete my collection. My question is when or at what age do I stop buying these guns that make me happy and give me a personal feeling of pride to know I have them.

We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Grimm
I’m 57 and still love my handguns and rifles that I started collecting in my late teens, that said…I still buy mostly older vintage rifles including many Weatherby mark V’s in all caliber’s and just looking at a 340mag to complete my collection. My question is when or at what age do I stop buying these guns that make me happy and give me a personal feeling of pride to know I have them.

Depends, if your going to run out of money one day and need to sell them. Or going into a retirement or nursing home no guns allowed. Do you have family or friends to leave them to. Only you know the varibles of your situation, only you can decide.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Excellent working and cosmetic condition
Great price

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Gojoe
I spoke with the guy at a local shop. He said he is getting a lot of sellers walking in. His used gun rack is full. Guns are one of the first things to go in tough times.

Yup. And I'm definitely noticing this right now

Just the opposite here. Local good shop/pawn shop used racks are bare.

If you weren't walking out with so many, there likely wouldn't be a deficit. laugh laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Special guns are good for one’s soul, doesn’t really matter if you shoot them or not

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Finally managed to clear one out today, the blued Howa Mini 6.5 that was displaced by the SS one from Brownells. Had limited interest in the barreled action, but I picked up a new factory stock in the Classifieds, raised the price to cover it, and zip, it’s gone! Actually had another guy call as I was going out the door to meet my buyer.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Biden economy is killing everyone. like mentioned above, credit card rates are high, groceries are high, gasoline has increased and bills have gone up. I just got a notice from my insurance company that our home owners insurance has jumped up $600. I have NEVER missed a payment, or defaulted on a loan!! Aside from the mortgage on our house, I have a small credit card balance and that is it My wife's car and my truck are paid for , as well are our student loans from college.

To get a notice telling me that my homeowners insurance had gone up was like gut punch!! And oh by the way, our interest rate is locked in at 2.7% for the duration of the loan. We refinanced before the pandemic and with an interest rate less than 3% my homeowners insurance increased?! WTF?!

EVERYTHING HAS GONE UP IN PRICE AND SALARIES ARE NOT GOING WITH IT!! Let's go Brandon!!

Last edited by Sabretooth; 03/12/24.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
The Biden economy is killing everyone. like mentioned above, credit card rates are high, groceries are high, gasoline has increased and bills have gone up. I just got a notice from my insurance company that our home owners insurance has jumped up $600. I have NEVER missed a payment, or defaulted on a loan!! Aside from the mortgage on our house, I have a small credit card balance and that is it My wife's car and my truck are paid for , as well are our student loans from college.

To get a notice telling me that my homeowners insurance had gone up was like gut punch!! And oh by the way, our interest rate is locked in at 2.7% for the duration of the loan. We refinanced before the pandemic and with an interest rate less than 3% my homeowners insurance increased?! WTF?!

EVERYTHING HAS GONE UP IN PRICE AND SALARIES ARE NOT GOING WITH IT!! Let's go Brandon!!

Insurance rates going up shouldn't surprise anyone.

If you have a claim, it now costs the insurance company more to pay out.

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Utilities, taxes, groceries, insurance (car & house), health insurance, gas, entertainment, etc have taken a HUGE toll on any extra funds for most people.

On top of all of the above, I've had 8k in vet bills this past year. Cost of dog food has gone up 25-50%.

Everything is just outta hand.

A lot of my extra spending money came from flipping project cars and since COVID I've only been able to buy two. One of which I still own and it cost 2x as much as it would have just a few years ago.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

482 members (22kHornet, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 16penny, 16gage, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,624
Posts18,492,818
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.