Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I live without hot water or A/C. In Africa I drank unboiled, untreated muddy water straight from a stream. Ate a monotonous diet, lost a lot of weight.

Those hardships anyone could do. In a SHTF scenario all the above would be easy.

The hard part would be other desperate people and days without food, neither of which I’ve ever had to deal with.

Well yeah...the shits will do that to you.

Giardia? Pfffft….. after a bit you and your giardia reach an understanding.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Bout 10 years ago I got blackballed as wrestling coach because I pushed my kids too hard. I had 8 state champs in two years but all it took was one politically spiteful mom to keep me from ever coaching in this district again.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The softest are always the ones that think they are the hardest.

I have a buddy that is a physical therapist. He always says the pretend tough guys that say they have a high pain tolerance always don’t.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Far too many people have about zero idea about the real world & how to be anything but soft; they have been raised as & are liberals through & through.

If hard times really come, many will be lost for good as I doubt they they can change or adapt.

MM

Do you?

What is this "real world" you speak of?

We are all so gleefully ignorant of anything even resembling tough times...it almost laughable.

Well, it kinda looks that way when reading some of the posts here about "I don't even hardly get out of bed before I put my boots on". Could they even walk across their paved driveway 20' without 8" boots supporting their ankles? What happens when there are no more Red Wing stores? What happens when they're out foraging and someone gets into their stash of 13 pairs in their closet and they get home and no more boots? SOL when the pair they're wearing is worn out?

As to the kids of today and how they'll fare? I think some of the ones around here will be OK. Lot of farm and ranch kids and from the looks of it some of their peers are wannabes and hang with them. Was at our local shooting range meeting last night, seems some weekends the youth shooting program here as close to 100 using the three different ranges, according to one of the 4H ladies. Kids from 60 or so miles away in Lakeview are even wanting to use our shotgun facilities until they can get theirs set up again. That's not bad attendance for a county of 10,000 +/- souls. Kids actually works around here at times even.

Me, I'm not going down without a fight. Hell, I even force my way out of 1/2 submerged vehicles and clamber down the 40F stream over rocks and boulders, up the rip-rap and through the berry vines barefoot, in a t shirt and shorts. I've lived through worse, at least someone wasn't trying to pummel me like in a bar fight I wasn't sure I was gonna get out of.

Maybe we need more Outward Bound programs for our softies???

A bunch of dudes on the fire have said they couldn't live with twice daily showers and starched sheets!

Hahaha!

I like watching those videos of India and Pakistan where they make stuff or repair things.

Really primitive stuff!

It would seem to me that being dropped into Pakistan would be the same as a SHTF for a lot of people.

I like the videos with the bare foot guys working on truck axels and welding and chit. 👍

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have lived off grid, not too intrested in doing that these days, but I know how.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like 7mmbuster, I am old to the point of needing to adjust and do things quite differently than the lifelong norm. But, as it always has, attitude still matters a bunch. I can't answer those questions about the soft people because I stay away from them and don't know their ways, or futures.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Most of the reason our soldiers were so tough and were able to do so much with so little in ww2 was because they grew up in the depression.

Things are going to have to get much worse here before they get better. Some people will adapt and come out OK and some will not. Most of us have had it way better than most people have at anytime throughout history. Even the most poor among Americans still eat pretty well. Think about the fact that poor Americans have an obesity epidemic going on.

Bb
So we should eat the fat ones?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dutch
Some will, some wont. I’ve been around plenty of kids that grew up on a farm, supposedly “tough” kids, but they didn’t have either the mental toughness or the physical endurance for the job or the lifestyle.

Dutch,
"Farm Kid" don't mean crap anymore.

They were hiring one at my job a few years ago, and everyone was gushing how good a worker he would be. I was skeptical.
Within weeks, I was proven right.

Last year was a replay.
Guy quit in the middle of his second shift!
His job was as an operator helper. About every 2 1/2 hours they had to get up and work or 45 minutes to an hour. Depending on how hard the worked. Much of that time is spent watching a machine run. When not doing that, he had no responsibilities. He said, "This is too fast paced for me". A 40 year old, never worked off the farm.

Farming ain't how it used to be.
More important, farm parents aren't how they used to be.
My dad never went to school for a whole year. He missed a lot of the Fall due to
harvest, he was out in the spring, planting.

Farm kids these days are into sports,
you have no idea who they are. Can't spot them.
Wasn't like that 40 years ago. They usually stood out.

Country, is a thing now.
Like urban wannabes.
See the kids in flannel and schidmit kickers? They live in a trailer park or
development.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Soft, hard...how to tell?

I feel I'm soft on our kids, our friends think I'm hard.

The 16 year old bought tickets to a concert, we assumed it was a weekend.
She wa going with an older friend we know and trust.

I felt letting her go, 80 miles away in a party, college, town, was am awful lot of slack.

Turned out, it was Tuesday night.

And she started lobbying, "Can I go in to school late Wednesday? We won't be home
until 1, I won't get much sleep? Can I get out of school early Tuesday?"

"No! Your doing big girl stuff. Do big girl stuff. School and work are obligations. They come first, and you work around them. In cases like this, you do the fun, and endure the suck that comes with it."

I told this at work, and was amazed how many folks thought I was being mean.
That missing a couple hours school to sleep was no big deal.

I though we were soft, only to be told we are mean!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Crash_Pad
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
The soft people will die, along with a lot of hard people.

Boomers seem to gleefully look forward to the end of humanity, because obviously the world couldn't exist without them (the most selfish generation in American history). Societal collapse won't be cool or sexy. It's going to be horrific and tribal.

What utter bullshit! Sure we boomers enjoyed the pinnacle of being an American after WWII left the rest of the civilized world in ruin. Our parents also benefited greatly in the prime of their lives after growing up poor, like everybody else, eating organic food grown locally, as that was all there was and doctors were for emergency only. Working hard and being frugal was the only way to make ends meet. There were no "benefits" at all. Major Medical was for the very few corporate types, but nobody went bankrupt from hospitalization like today. The busy body Nanny State hadn't morphed into the neurotic goddess of uber control over every aspect of normal life, and taxed the hell out of what it couldn't regulate with fees and inspections. FDR's commie agencies spawned ever more irritating lice in Alphabet fiefdoms with too much power. And Eisenhower's Interstate System assured total consolidation of trade in the hands of super capitalists that could now "serve" Podunk to Weehaken with big ass trucks that hadn't yet been invented, turning America into ghost towns between giant LogoLand look alike hives of banal inanity. Yeah, so we were super damn selfish working summers and holidays or after classes to pay for college because that was supposed to get you better jobs and improve your life. It did too. We didn't owe a dime when we got out, sold our books back for half price if we wanted and saved money from then on, still based on gold until '71, that held its value well enough to make major purchases like a car or home. Then LBJ tried to kill us all in Vietnam to repay his buddies for smoking JFK. We were selfish [bleep] alright. You dumb fugd punks are too young and angry with your marshmallow education and [bleep] culture to realize the loss of great cities, vibrant small towns, flourishing farms - a whole world full of clean cut, neatly dressed, respectful people humbly proud of their ability and opportunity to live better than anyone in history. You whinny little pricks missed out on the best of everything. No wonder you're so jealous.

You left out Satan’s Music.. Rap

Darwin’s a Cum’n

Oh and Thanks ..

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by callnum
The softest are always the ones that think they are the hardest.

A brokedick like you... ain't had an ounce of hardness in your dang whole life.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Speaking of Haiti, how many days do we suppose those cannibals on X had gone without food before they started eating people?

How long would that take here?

My last dry season in Africa a drought ruined the harvest. At school we lived on USAID white rice for about three months. Rice and sugar water for breakfast, rice and taro leaves for lunch, rice and palm oil for dinner. Plus Peace Corps would drop me off a case of eighteen small tins of tuna each month, only protein source. These I would open one every other day at night and then toss the can out in the bush, to make my relative millionaire status less conspicuous.

Lots of thin people and little kids developing kwashiorkor (swollen belly, reddish hair, no muscles). Nary a hint of cannibalism tho.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Where your mind is before SHTF will have a large impact on where you settle mentally after.

Your life experiences prior will have a lot to do with the mental preparation.

Having literally died 4 times as a very young (19) man has a profound impact on how I look at life here on earth now...especially since coming to faith at 40 (26 years ago).

Contrary to the sage who knows what all "boomers" think, the majority of my net worth is positioned to help those who will likely be here trying to survive, after I am gone.

I could make 10 or 15 full-bag hunts to Tanzania with all that, but there are more important things in life...other people's lives.

I also think we (collectively) have probably watched too many movies!

"May you live in interesting times". That old quote is becoming more ironic and meaningful every day!

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Was told many many times by a cousin I was a prick to my kids.

Funny thing, now they are highly functioning adults. Not perfect, but they solve their own problems and pay their own bills.

Her kids?? Not so much.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Crash_Pad
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
The soft people will die, along with a lot of hard people.

Boomers seem to gleefully look forward to the end of humanity, because obviously the world couldn't exist without them (the most selfish generation in American history). Societal collapse won't be cool or sexy. It's going to be horrific and tribal.

What utter bullshit! Sure we boomers enjoyed the pinnacle of being an American after WWII left the rest of the civilized world in ruin. Our parents also benefited greatly in the prime of their lives after growing up poor, like everybody else, eating organic food grown locally, as that was all there was and doctors were for emergency only. Working hard and being frugal was the only way to make ends meet. There were no "benefits" at all. Major Medical was for the very few corporate types, but nobody went bankrupt from hospitalization like today. The busy body Nanny State hadn't morphed into the neurotic goddess of uber control over every aspect of normal life, and taxed the hell out of what it couldn't regulate with fees and inspections. FDR's commie agencies spawned ever more irritating lice in Alphabet fiefdoms with too much power. And Eisenhower's Interstate System assured total consolidation of trade in the hands of super capitalists that could now "serve" Podunk to Weehaken with big ass trucks that hadn't yet been invented, turning America into ghost towns between giant LogoLand look alike hives of banal inanity. Yeah, so we were super damn selfish working summers and holidays or after classes to pay for college because that was supposed to get you better jobs and improve your life. It did too. We didn't owe a dime when we got out, sold our books back for half price if we wanted and saved money from then on, still based on gold until '71, that held its value well enough to make major purchases like a car or home. Then LBJ tried to kill us all in Vietnam to repay his buddies for smoking JFK. We were selfish [bleep] alright. You dumb fugd punks are too young and angry with your marshmallow education and [bleep] culture to realize the loss of great cities, vibrant small towns, flourishing farms - a whole world full of clean cut, neatly dressed, respectful people humbly proud of their ability and opportunity to live better than anyone in history. You whinny little pricks missed out on the best of everything. No wonder you're so jealous.

I have to say, I like this post. As I sit here in my leather recliner, I am tough! I'm also old enough that it doesn't matter too much anymore. As a certified Boomer, I sometimes feel almost guilty about the easy living we have today. On the other hand, I've worked for sixty years to get here, and I'm still working.
I know a couple of young guys I would have considered to be marshmallow soft. Nonetheless, they have both gone to work at real, productive, jobs, and are paying their own way. If given the chance, a lot of soft people can turn a corner and toughen up to a surprising extent. GD

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Saw posted elsewhere and without comment -

Boomers like to say "I earned this" but conveniently ignore how govt debt to GDP went from 25% to 130% of GDP under their watch and essentially inflated the heck out of every asset in existence. Funny how that works.

Me

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Now Xers are saying, hold my beer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Soft, hard...how to tell?

I feel I'm soft on our kids, our friends think I'm hard.

The 16 year old bought tickets to a concert, we assumed it was a weekend.
She wa going with an older friend we know and trust.

I felt letting her go, 80 miles away in a party, college, town, was am awful lot of slack.

Turned out, it was Tuesday night.

And she started lobbying, "Can I go in to school late WedneJsut being a great dad.sday? We won't be home
until 1, I won't get much sleep? Can I get out of school early Tuesday?"

"No! Your doing big girl stuff. Do big girl stuff. School and work are obligations. They come first, and you work around them. In cases like this, you do the fun, and endure the suck that comes with it."

I told this at work, and was amazed how many folks thought I was being mean.
That missing a couple hours school to sleep was no big deal.

I though we were soft, only to be told we are mean!
Simply doing the stuff a great dad does. Thanks.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 6MMWASP, Akhutr, 10 invisible), 1,708 guests, and 862 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,906
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.