J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Make some at let us know how it turns out. Fish gravy does not sound appetizing, I think it would suck.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thank you.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Cajuns cook flathead catfish in a tomato gravy. They call it catfish courtbullion. I hear it is really good. Several excoworkers swear by it.
They season and brown the fish in a cast iron pot. Remove the fish steaks. Then cook down onions garlic and bell pepper in the.same pot till it starts sticking. Add a little water to unstick the vegetables put fish back in and add tomato sauce.
Put it on drink which.means a gentle simmer so it just bubbles. Just shake the pot occasionaly to keep the.fish from sticking and serve over rice after it has cooked long enough for all the flavors have incorporated.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Was at a Friday Fish fry with two high school buddies, my daughter was
our waitress. Ronnie ordered the fish and wanted fries, my daughter ask if
he wanted gravy then " what kind"?

I suggested he try the fish gravy, Joel jumped right in, as did Jenna.

Ronnie has always been naive, despite partly growing up in Baltimore and serving
in the Marines. It only took a little BS, and he ordered the non-existent fish gravy,
excited to try something new!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FYI, if you're in an area where the fish may contain PCBs don't use the drippings for gravies or sauces.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Sandlapper
FYI, if you're in an area where the fish may contain PCBs don't use the drippings for gravies or sauces.

I wouldn't worry about it, Wabi is PCB forward loaded

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Low Country Fish and Grits With Red-Eye Gravy Sauce

https://realtree.com/timber-2-table...-fish-and-grits-with-red-eye-gravy-sauce

This is pretty much just a shrimp and grits/shrimp and gravy recipe with fish substituted.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds absolutely repulsive. (Laura Ingalls Wilder and The Long Winter notwithstanding.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Cajuns cook flathead catfish in a tomato gravy. They call it catfish courtbullion. I hear it is really good. Several excoworkers swear by it.
They season and brown the fish in a cast iron pot. Remove the fish steaks. Then cook down onions garlic and bell pepper in the.same pot till it starts sticking. Add a little water to unstick the vegetables put fish back in and add tomato sauce.
Put it on drink which.means a gentle simmer so it just bubbles. Just shake the pot occasionaly to keep the.fish from sticking and serve over rice after it has cooked long enough for all the flavors have incorporated.

I grew up in South Carolina and this sounds awfully close to what was called catfish stew when I was growing up. It was served over rice or grits. Was mighty fine eating as a kid.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
down here we make fish chowder like red clam chowder out of big black drum in the 40/ 80 lb size and eat it over rice . any fish that is real firm will work .

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
🤢

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Sounds absolutely repulsive. (Laura Ingalls Wilder and The Long Winter notwithstanding.)

Codfish gravy isn't too far removed from some catfish stews.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
My mom made salted codfish gravy, served over potatoes.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Catfish or Redfish Courtbullion done properly is outstanding. In Louisiana it’s pronounced Ku-bee-yone. Extremely good eating.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I have cooked plenty of fish of all kinds in a similar creole sauce. Onion , green bell pepper, celery and tomatoes. Cook down vegs add diced or chopped tomato and some cajun or creole seasoning if you want. simmer sauce for 30 minutes. Season fish. Either cook fish in sauce on the stove top or pour it over fish and bake in oven. You could grill fish as well and the poyr sauce over fish. Serve over rice, grits or cauliflower rice.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,061
Posts18,482,397
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.