Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It's hard to believe. This guy got polio back in the 50's and had to be in the iron lung. He never recovered enough to leave it so he's laid there on his back for 70 years before he died this week at 78. He managed to go to college and become a lawyer while living in the thing.
Polio is a nasty disease. That's one where the vaccine DOES work. My dad had it in the 50's. He was one of the lucky ones who made a full recovery but he spent 4 months in the hospital and therapy. When the Salk vaccine came out about 10 years later, he had us 1st in line for it. A few years later when the improved Sabine 'sugar cube' vaccine came out, we got it, too.

Paul Alexander, polio survivor who spent over 70 years in iron lung, dead at 78
Alexander spent more than 70 years living in a metal chamber to help him breathe after he contracted polio in the 1950s
By Michael Dorgan Fox News
Published March 13, 2024 9:09am EDT

Paul Alexander, known as "the man in the iron lung," having spent most of his life living inside a metal chamber that helped him breathe, has died aged 78, a fundraiser for his health care confirmed Tuesday.

Alexander, of Dallas, Texas, contracted polio in the summer of 1952 when he was 6 years old, leaving him paralyzed from the neck down.

He was forced to live inside the chamber for the rest of his extraordinary life, yet was known for his positive and graceful attitude.
Paul Alexander smiles while lying in his iron lung chamber

Paul Alexander, known as "the man in the iron lung," has died aged 78, a fundraiser for his health care confirmed Tuesday. (GoFundMe)

"In this time Paul went to college, became a lawyer, and a published author," wrote Christopher Ulmer, who created a GoFundMe page for Alexander to help finance his health care needs.

"His story traveled wide and far, positively influencing people around the world. Paul was an incredible role model that will continue to be remembered."

At 21, Alexander became the first person to graduate from a high school in Dallas without ever attending class in person, reports the Daily Mail.

He pursued his dreams of becoming a trial lawyer and represented clients in court in a three-piece suit and a modified wheelchair that held his paralyzed body upright.

He also staged a sit-in for disability rights and published a 155-page memoir, "Three Minutes for a Dog: My Life in an Iron Lung," which took five years to complete. Alexander wrote each word with a pen attached to a stick in his mouth, the Daily Mail reports.

Alexander has been recognized by Guinness World Records as the person who has spent the longest amount of time living in an iron lung.

In an interview with Reuters before his death, Alexander said: "My story is an example of why your past or even your disability does not have to define your future."
Students and a doctor examiner and iron ling

The ventilator, a large yellow metal chamber, required Alexander to lie his entire body down inside with just his head exposed outside.

Air pressure is continuously cycled up and down to stimulate breathing. People who have contracted polio typically need iron lungs, as do those who have become paralyzed due to poisons.

Ulmer wrote that the GoFundMe was set up after Alexander had been "taken advantage of by people who were supposed to care for his best interests." Although the page did not go into further detail.

"This theft, combined with the high cost of health care, has left Paul with little money to survive," Ulmer wrote.

"He struggles to maintain his iron lung, afford health care, and find housing that accommodates his needs," Ulmer wrote before Alexander’s death.

Ulmer said Paul had been living in a small one-room apartment that did not have a window.
A model inside an iron lung machine

Alexander’s brother, Philip, said the fundraiser, which raised more than $143,000, helped him live out his final years.

"I am so [grateful] to everybody who donated to my brother’s fundraiser. It allowed him to live his last few years stress-free," Paul was quoted as saying on the GoFundMe page.

"It will also pay for his funeral during this difficult time. It is absolutely incredible to read all the comments and know that so many people were inspired by Paul. I am just so grateful."

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I saw an old b&w pic of Jonas Salk in a pediatric ward of empty beds.

That was worth a few rhesus monkeys.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I read about Paul Alexander years ago. What stood out to me the most is how he watched numerous other kids die right next to him in the cramped hospital shortly after they all contracted polio. He stayed strong and survived a long time.

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Stories like that make you realize you only thought you had problems….

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Boy is that the truth. I remember when I was little EVERYONE was terrified of polio.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
What a story. A horrible way to live for 70 years.

Thank God for that vaccine, my mom rushed us down to the health clinic and all 4 of us ate that damn sugar cube.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That was a real killer of a disease and a real effective vaccine when it finally came out - properly tested. It's the same with smallpox. It killed people wholesale. When the vaccine was finally introduced, it was a real vaccine that saved millions of lives and now the last case of smallpox is 2 decades in the past. It's been declared eradicated worldwide.
This covid and vax are total farces.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My mentor and good friend Jack’s first wife died from polio in the fifties. He was an extraordinary man. He left home at 14. Joined the navy a couple years later while he was a pattern maker apprentice and went to electrician school. He was stationed on a mine sweeper that first entered Nagasaki harbor after the bomb. He died at 78 from pancreatic cancer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As much as I like being alive, I’d rather not live just to exist.
If it ever comes down to not being able to live the life I enjoy, I’d rather check out early.
If I’m ever reduced to existence, I’d be such an azzhole that you wouldn’t want me around.

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Winchester21
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Boy is that the truth. I remember when I was little EVERYONE was terrified of polio.

I wonder how many of these horrible diseases come back? With 10's of millions of unvaccinated / unverified illegal aliens crossing the boarder it seems a matter of time.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've seen charts that showed the rates of polio cases were on a long steady decline when they came out with the vaccine, and that line kept going down at the same exact rate after they started vaccinating. This suggests that there's an explanation, other than the vaccine, for the near disappearance of polio.

Based on the chart I describe above, a better explanation was a sharp decrease in the use of DDT. Right at the point where its use dropped dramatically, due to public pressure, rates of polio started to drop precipitously. Then, a few years after this, the polio vaccine was introduced, and the polio case rate line just continued dropping at exactly the same rate as it had started to when DDT stopped being used a few years earlier.

By the time they outlawed DDT in 1972, its use had already dropped by 98% just due to public pressure.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Found it:

[Linked Image]

Not sure why it doesn't appear in the post, but you can click it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Okay, while we’re on the subject of vaccinations.
I and everyone in my age group has a small vaccination scar on their arm below the shoulder.
Younger people don’t.
Is that from the polio vaccine used in the 60s and 70s of it it something else used at that time?
I don’t know much about medicine, other than having The Old Man hit me with merthiolade or a couple small stitches, I have pretty much stayed away from doctors if possible.😀
Just curious if anyone knows.
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was born in 1950. When the sugar cube vaccine came out, my mother hauled me all over Anderson county (east Texas) to clinics and getting to eat those little sugar cubes!
I didn't get polio, but it's a wonder I didn't end up diabetic! LOL!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
I and everyone in my age group has a small vaccination scar on their arm below the shoulder.
Younger people don’t.
Is that from the polio vaccine used in the 60s and 70s of it it something else used at that time?
I don’t know much about medicine, other than having The Old Man hit me with merthiolade or a couple small stitches, I have pretty much stayed away from doctors if possible.😀
Reon

The was from the smallpox vaccine, but not everyone has the scar. I, for one, dont have it and I've been vaccinated for smallpox 2 times.

When a nurse in school didn't see the scar, even though my medical records showed I had taken the vaccine, they vaccinated me again. Same nurse came back the next year and didn't see the scar and was gonna vaccinate me again. I told her to look at my records and she discovered she was the one that had given me the vaccine the year before.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’m sure that 30 million shîtbird illegals will replenish us with all sorts of diseases that the American medical know-how has/had conquered.

tB, measles, etc

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had polio and because of the Cutter vaccine, most people were afraid of taking any polio vaccine. I had it in the fall of '57 and by that time Salk and other dr's had determined it was a bad batch of vaccine made by Cutter, not the vaccine itself that caused the problems.

My parents were told I didn't have much chance of not winding up in an iron lung, but trying the vaccine on a person that already had polio hadn't been successful, but other than that, they didn't really know what to do. From what I've been told, they gave me and 5 others a modified version of the vaccine. What the modification was, I dont know. From what my parents told me, all 6 of us recovered. I dont know what stages of polio the others were in, but I never was in an iron lung.

This took place in Abilene, Tx.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Tuberculosis is making a comeback. Because no one is illegal.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
What a story. A horrible way to live for 70 years.

Thank God for that vaccine, my mom rushed us down to the health clinic and all 4 of us ate that damn sugar cube.

Our town had a big vaccination day at the junior high cafeteria. All the town docs and dentists were dispensing the vac. My dad had one leg which was 4 inches shorter than the other. That was attributed to polio he had as a small child.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Younger people don’t.
Reon

The was from the smallpox vaccine, but not everyone has the scar. I, for one, dont have it and I've been vaccinated for smallpox 2 times.

When a nurse in school didn't see the scar, even though my medical records showed I had taken the vaccine, they vaccinated me again. Same nurse came back the next year and didn't see the scar and was gonna vaccinate me again. I told her to look at my records and she discovered she was the one that had given me the vaccine the year before.
Same here no scare, first vaccinated when I was born at Fort Bliss and then again when I started school.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,244 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,253
Posts18,486,286
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.