Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
All vaccines have a risk factor, even the best ones. Of those vaccinated for small pox, there is a very small number who will have a reaction. Some years back, after they'd declared smallpox to be eradicated world wide, they determined that continued vaccinations would put more people at risk than no vaccinations. So, they quit vaccinating for it. Since they quit, no one in the world has caught it.

There are 2 places in the world that have live smallpox virus in storage - the US and Russia. They say they're keeping them in case it should become necessary to remake the vaccines. There's been a continued argument about whether both samples should be killed to prevent any possibility of one escaping or being stolen. Last I heard, both samples are still being kept alive.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I remember trying to talk my dad out of having the shot for polio; he laughed in my face. There is a reason for parents.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Okay, while we’re on the subject of vaccinations.
I and everyone in my age group has a small vaccination scar on their arm below the shoulder.
Younger people don’t.
Is that from the polio vaccine used in the 60s and 70s of it it something else used at that time?
I don’t know much about medicine, other than having The Old Man hit me with merthiolade or a couple small stitches, I have pretty much stayed away from doctors if possible.😀
Just curious if anyone knows.
Reon

The was from the smallpox vaccine, but not everyone has the scar. I, for one, dont have it and I've been vaccinated for smallpox 2 times.

When a nurse in school didn't see the scar, even though my medical records showed I had taken the vaccine, they vaccinated me again. Same nurse came back the next year and didn't see the scar and was gonna vaccinate me again. I told her to look at my records and she discovered she was the one that had given me the vaccine the year before.

Some didn't want that unsightly scar on their left shoulder. One girl had her's done on her thigh!
At that time (mid 50's!) girls just didn't flash their thighs!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems some of the polio issues can return in later life. Have a distant friend that beat it as a kid but is now having balance and neural issues surfacing in his early 60's. Still alive, but not as functional as he would like and he's backing out of his commitments and other activities.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/15/24.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I mentioned before that my dad had it in the 50's but made a full recovery...maybe. In his later years (70+), he had a lot of neck pain that nothing could cure. He had a traction devise that he hung from the top of a door that would pull his head up as he sat. It helped a little. He often wondered if it had something to do with the polio but nobody knew for sure.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

374 members (219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 257_X_50, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,834
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.