Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Mule Deer do you remember what calibers and weights of ballistic tips penetrate like partitions?

Glenn Campbell
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
If I recall correctly, the 7mm 150; 165 & 180 .30; 180 8mm; 200 .338 (now only available as the Ballistic Silvertip) have the extra-heavy-base jackets. But they may have added others--and in fact now list a round-nosed 220-grain .30 Ballistic Tip, that I suspect would have the heavier jacket.

But the best way to make sure is to contact Nosler.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks John. Did Nosler discontinue the 250gr 9.3 ballistic tip? I remember you mentioned it years ago as tough and deep penetrating. Thanks.

Last edited by roanmtn; 03/14/24.

Glenn Campbell
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
.308 168 NBT was on that list. I have been using them on elk for years now.

Good Shooting!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 168gr 30 cal Ballistic Tip is another one.The 220gr 30 cal was designed to be used in the 300 Blackout.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 168 does indeed have a lot of its mass in the jacket. It's a nice all-rounder for a .30cal cup/core in that weight class.

Now with even more aplomb
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
+1 on the 7mm 150 grain. They are a little too tough for my application.

I have read numerous reviews that indicate the 7mm 120 grain was designed “tough” from the get go for metallic silhouette shooters.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Godogs57
+1 on the 7mm 150 grain. They are a little too tough for my application.

I have read numerous reviews that indicate the 7mm 120 grain was designed “tough” from the get go for metallic silhouette shooters.
Pretty sure the 120 is the same jacket as the 140 just shortened so it is a little thicker at the mouth.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by roanmtn
Thanks John. Did Nosler discontinue the 250gr 9.3 ballistic tip? I remember you mentioned it years ago as tough and deep penetrating. Thanks.

Yep, they discontinued some of the larger-caliber Ballistic Tips when they introduced the AccuBond around 2007--which is basically a bonded Ballistic Tip. They tested each version in their penetration media, and with some bullets bonding didn't make any difference--but in others it did. The 9.3 250 was one of 'em--though I field-tested the AccuBond version extensively on a cull hunt in South Africa, and it worked very well. Among other things it went lengthwise through a springbok ram on a frontal shot, exiting the rump, and breaking both shoulders a 550 pound gemsbok bull--and also exiting. (The weight came from the ranch scales, not guessing.)

But have had great luck with 250 Accubond since, taking quite a few even bigger animals. Have only recovered one, a rear-angling shot on a 7-1/2 foot grizzly. The bullet entered the toward the rear of the ribs on the bear's right side, and stopped under the hide on the left side of the neck, retaining 81% of its weight.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks Mule Deer. I really liked the tough 9.3 ballistic tips for 1/2 inch groups. When Nosler gets caught up supplying everyone I'll buy three or four boxes of the accubond bullet if they are accurate. I really don't believe we need the 286gr bullets in North America. However, there are those who will disagree with me concerning brown/grizzly bears.

Glenn Campbell
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Wasn't the 6mm 95gr BT also a tougher engineered projectile for elk hunting? Mark & Belle

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I’ve shot the 150 7MM into game enough to know they act nothing like a partition. They can come completely unglued.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The older 150gr 7mm Ballistic Tips were explosive,the new ones are great. Unfortunately externally you cannot tell the difference between the two and some of the older ones are still making their rounds.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
These are not old ones.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really like the 7mm 150 BT.

It shoots well and has reliably exited and dropped deer. Wouldn’t hesitate to put one through an elk.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While I have used several of these heavier jacketed models myself, I don’t know that I would characterize their performance as being “just like a Partition”. They’re generally very good for non-bonded cup/cores, but I’ve found Partitions to dig a bit deeper and exit more often. I always figured this was due to a smaller typical expanded diameter, not so much overall weight retention. Some may disagree.

Now with even more aplomb
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Mule Deer do you remember what calibers and weights of ballistic tips penetrate like partitions?

None do.

Everybody wants their bullet to work like a Partition. I don’t understand why they just don’t use Partitions to begin with.

Same thing with Accubonds.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

None do.

Everybody wants their bullet to work like a Partition. I don’t understand why they just don’t use Partitions to begin with.

Same thing with Accubonds.
Damm good question……

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have preemptively donned my flame proof suit......

I know it's bragging but....between myself, family, friends, and guiding I have witnessed roughly 150 elk killed with rifles over the past 60 years (I started following my dad elk hunting as a kindergardner in the early 60's). Plus I have been in on the field dressing of another 50-60 elk. As Brad suggests it seems a lot of people don't really know what to look for in bullet performance.

In response to similar thread a couple years ago I had two longish conversations with people at Nosler.
The jacket thickness of BT's and AB's don't vary much if at all. Instead Nosler uses different lead hardnesss for the intended application and cartridge the bullet is used for. An example is the 7mm 150gr BT. It is made with the 7RM in mind and does indeed have a more hard lead than usual. Partition lead hardness varies from the front lead to the rear lead portion--that was news to me and something I had never considered before.

"Accubonds are good bullets but they're not Partitions" That's a quote from a late outfitter I guided with for nearly 35 years. The outfitter and his two sons all used 7RM's, and his sons got into longer range shooting and highish BC bullets. They convinced thier dad to try AB's too. He did try them for a few years, saw AB's used on other elk, but went back to his Partitions after a while saying they were more consistent in their performance.

And this is a common theme I see in these conventional bullet threads. Take the recent ELD-X thread. The first couple pages were full of very different results. One ELD-X was claimed to have traveled practically lengthwise through a moose and the another post claimed the ELD-X went splat and stopped in the first lung of a deer. Inconsistent performance among conventional lead core bullets is a common theme and something I have observed time and again, particularly on elk.

Given the info and experience I have some BT's and AB's are definitely better suited for elk, or big deer, than others. But they ain't Partitions. No use trying to make them Partitons when the bullet is easily available at roughly the same price.

Flame away.......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Any bullet that does not have a built in “fail safe” design can absolutely come unhinged. Ballistic tips are no different. Most of my game has been taken with Barnes bullets. The second most with Nosler BT’s. It’s a lot. They aren’t partitions.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (Akhutr, Anaconda, 35, 33sixSS, 907brass, 7 invisible), 1,452 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,413
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.