Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Damn, that rifle would be no good at all for herd-shooting at the elk.

What herd shooting you referring to?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Stophel
When the S hits the F, I am NOT going to be engaging my enemy from 600 yards away (or 400 or 300..). If they are still that far away, it means that they don't see me yet, and I want to keep it that way. I'm sure as hell not going to start lobbing shots at them, especially with a .223 rifle.

Here in the south we have trees and stuff, and 600 yards is a long shot except over fields or down power lines. At the rate they are building houses and moving the country into the suburbs won't be too many fields left in 10 years.

OTHH who knows what the next SHTF is going to look like. Could be 3/4 of the populace dead by some as of yet unleashed virus, and the rest too hungry to move. Then could be a nuclear attack and we be mostly all dead anyway. Could be massive social unrest, if at all possible to me it would be best to be as far away from the massive social unrest crowd, anything you do will most probably cycle back around and find you as "Kyle Rittenhouse 2" guilty, cause the DA'a in these places are politically motivated. Then again how would one man living in a suburban neighborhood fight a hundred that are in an equally armed mob and win?? Looks like Barbecue there in Haiti is doing pretty good with his mob.

I myself have grown out of my Ralphie and his red rider bb gun saving himself and his family, because the Black Bart's of the world will shoot you into swiss cheese and overwhelm most of us with sheer numbers, then they will have your 10,000 rounds of ammo and your $2500 AR15 (another reason the $400 gun make more sense whistle. ).

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jimmyp
When the S hits the F, I am NOT going to be engaging my enemy from 600 yards away (or 400 or 300..). If they are still that far away, it means that they don't see me yet, and I want to keep it that way. I'm sure as hell not going to start lobbing shots at them, especially with a .223 rifle.

Here in the south we have trees and stuff, and 600 yards is a long shot except over fields or down power lines. At the rate they are building houses and moving the country into the suburbs won't be too many fields left in 10 years.

OTHH who knows what the next SHTF is going to look like. Could be 3/4 of the populace dead by some as of yet unleashed virus, and the rest too hungry to move. Then could be a nuclear attack and we be mostly all dead anyway. Could be massive social unrest, if at all possible to me it would be best to be as far away from the massive social unrest crowd, anything you do will most probably cycle back around and find you as "Kyle Rittenhouse 2" guilty, cause the DA'a in these places are politically motivated. Then again how would one man living in a suburban neighborhood fight a hundred that are in an equally armed mob and win?? Looks like Barbecue there in Haiti is doing pretty good with his mob.

I myself have grown out of my Ralphie and his red rider bb gun saving himself and his family, because the Black Bart's of the world will shoot you into swiss cheese and overwhelm most of us with sheer numbers, then they will have your 10,000 rounds of ammo and your $2500 AR15 (another reason the $400 gun make more sense whistle. ).

Well the average city block is 200 yards long, give or take so the ability to keep threats at a distance isn't strictly a rural/wide open spaces thing. There's merit to being prepared to bug out. Wildfires, the East Palestine Train derailment, Hurricanes, tornadoes, floods etc - Grab n go, you got 15 minutes - I'd want to be armed, even tho it's not a Mad Max deal.

I think it's possible crumbling infrastructure causes periods where regions will need their people to be really self sufficient when it comes to security or community policing. I've yet to see any reason why such a situation wouldn't attract bad actors. Having a plan or at the least, means to handle isn't a bad idea.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you're bugging out over roads, especially interstates, you're in the open where you can see and be seen over 600 yards.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Nothing personal towards anyone. Just being a general smartass. Dry sense of humor.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Nothing personal towards anyone. Just being a general smartass. Dry sense of humor.

I had some history like that years ago and wondered if that was what you were referring to…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
There's almost nowhere I would ever be where you could even see 600 yards away, much less be able to practice shooting at that range!
I"ve practiced to 1800 yards... just because it was fun.

As to where you will be, well there are times you have NO clue where you might be in the future.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

I had some history like that years ago and wondered if that was what you were referring to…

When a man hungry, got to do what you got to do.

Not going to eat if you don't put some lead in the air.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
There's almost nowhere I would ever be where you could even see 600 yards away, much less be able to practice shooting at that range!
I"ve practiced to 1800 yards... just because it was fun.

As to where you will be, well there are times you have NO clue where you might be in the future.

600 yards is not that far.

Had idiots tell me there isn't anywhere around here to shoot 4 or 500 yards at a deer.
Not saying many should, but it's darn easy to step into afield an see 500 yards.
It's not hard to look hilltop to hilltop at distances I wouldn't consider a shot at a deer.

Mostly, our shots are the 100 and under. But even in the woods sometimes we find openings or a lane where 200 yard shots are very possible.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It’s easy to get to 600 down power lines and across fields, Jarret makes a heavy deer rifle specifically for that. It’s nice to see that the PSA will go 5000 rounds on FA before it goes south. PSA is making the Everyman AR15! A hell of a lot more useful than a pistol. To me the mixed ability to make fast 10-50 yard hits, and then to perforate a grape fruit sized target at 500 yards using a weapon that does not weight 10-12 pounds, does not wear a 6-60 power scope, is reliable in its performance, and also will last 5-10K rounds is more important than FA, binary triggers, 7 inch pistols, or bump stocks. A 7 pound rifle that is easy to carry and accurate with a 1-8 scope ??? whistle

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
$425 per 1K for the 556 HERE - PPU
$175 per 1K for 9mm HERE - ball

Both are brass cased.[/quote]

Maybe I did something wrong, or they just couldn't get it to Ky. in a reasonable way, but they ask me nearly $100 to ship one case of 5.56. The very best deals, especially on ammo usually come with a catch.
I try to remember the names of companies that try that crap. Remember not to click on their site again.

I checked a couple of other places just see if I wasn't up un current prices. Both places were $24.xx for Fes X & $26.xx for UPS.

Last edited by gunzo; 03/13/24.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
https://www.velocityammosales.com/products/223-remington-ggg-55-grain-full-metal-jacket-bulk-case/

Cheapest I could find this morning.

S&G is .50 per round with free shipping.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gunzo.

Ammoseek.
They list the best deals from retailers.
And show a ranking on shipping costs.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thanks Dillon, I spend a bit of time there. Find deals along with low buck dealers that have shipping prices far above their rating & vise versa. So it's still up to the buyer to research their own purchase.
Buyer beware.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Usually the cheapest few dealers on ammoseek have about a $200 per case shipping fee. Of course there's no way to know that until you put in all your info like you're completing an order. They can't just let you put your zip in and get and estimate.

Those sites are probably ran by some old school car salesmen that git fired for missing off too many car buyers. I hate having to put in all my info to find out what shipping is. If they won't give you an estimate up front I just figure they're slime balls and move on. I wish ammo seek was more clear on they shipping cost ratings. Maybe they could put the word rape on the shipping estimator for those shipping gouger sites.

Bb

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 2,067 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,043
Posts18,482,094
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.